Hot rods rod kit in 2001 cr250

Hey guys, so i recently rebuilt my 2001 cr 250. I rebuilt the bottom end with a hots rods rod kit(rod, bearing and the pin in between the weights). Ideally i wanted an oem crank, but could not find a brand new one, so i went with the rod kit. Anyway, my question is, did i make a mistake by going with the hot rods kit? Yes, the crank was balanced and i installed oem main bearings, but i have heard horror stories of these rods snapping and taking out cases. What do u guys think ?
|
omalley
6/3/2018 10:24am
I personally wouldn’t trust one, but as with anything else internet, the ones you hear about are the bad ones. No one ever gets on a forum to brag about how a crankshaft works as designed-only when they fail. So there’s probably tons of people running them with no issues.

Did you consider having your stocks crank rebuilt by one of the shops (crankworks etc?)

Another option is finding a used but serviceable crank and sending it off for rebuild.
captmoto
6/3/2018 12:09pm
It sounds like that's what he did. A rod kit. Honda did not sell the rod/pin/bearing separately and the crank appears to be NLA. As long as it is a reputable crank/machine shop he should be good. In OP's area I would look at Ken O'connor racing.
6/3/2018 1:29pm
Ik my brother has one in his 01 cr250 and it has 45 to 50 hrs on it so far. Im not a hard rider(middle of the pack beginner). I talked to 2 mechanics who said they have only seen them snap in 4 stroke motors. It still makes me nervous
6/3/2018 1:32pm
captmoto wrote:
It sounds like that's what he did. A rod kit. Honda did not sell the rod/pin/bearing separately and the crank appears to be NLA. As long...
It sounds like that's what he did. A rod kit. Honda did not sell the rod/pin/bearing separately and the crank appears to be NLA. As long as it is a reputable crank/machine shop he should be good. In OP's area I would look at Ken O'connor racing.
And yes, i had the stock crank rebuilt with the hot rods kit and it was balanced by the mechanic.

The Shop

6/3/2018 5:18pm
The newer one are fine. I've put them in quite a few engines for people and I never heard a complaint.
Hondas4Life3
6/4/2018 8:24am
Ive used many hotrods cranks Ive yet to have one fail. By now there QC should be up to par.
r18b
6/4/2018 9:57am
Hey guys, so i recently rebuilt my 2001 cr 250. I rebuilt the bottom end with a hots rods rod kit(rod, bearing and the pin in...
Hey guys, so i recently rebuilt my 2001 cr 250. I rebuilt the bottom end with a hots rods rod kit(rod, bearing and the pin in between the weights). Ideally i wanted an oem crank, but could not find a brand new one, so i went with the rod kit. Anyway, my question is, did i make a mistake by going with the hot rods kit? Yes, the crank was balanced and i installed oem main bearings, but i have heard horror stories of these rods snapping and taking out cases. What do u guys think ?
oem crank from a 05-07 will fit.
Tracktor
6/4/2018 9:59am
The only Hot Rods connecting rod kit I used lasted 7 hrs. Only used because I got it free. Never again stay with Prox rods.......
6/4/2018 11:57am
Never seen a rod through the cases on a two stroke. Their rods and crankshafts are fine, assuming it was done correctly. I would stay away from Wiseco cranks if anything.
omalley
6/4/2018 12:10pm
captmoto wrote:
It sounds like that's what he did. A rod kit. Honda did not sell the rod/pin/bearing separately and the crank appears to be NLA. As long...
Yep, totally missed that and read it as a complete hot rods crank...carry on, lol...

Post a reply to: Hot rods rod kit in 2001 cr250

The Latest