Hot cams Stage 2 exh with 2 different timing Mark's????

tzmike
No paperwork on this so I'll ask you guys.
The dots to align to the head on exh cam have 2 dots plus the 12 o'clock dot
What's the difference between the 2 head alignment dots. I'll call them upper as in 10 o'clock and lower as 9 o'clock.
One for bottom to mid and the other for mid to top end ?
I'd like to know which does what.
Thanks
|
Paul_Pitzonka
2/5/2020 3:59pm Edited Date/Time 2/5/2020 4:01pm
tzmike wrote:
No paperwork on this so I'll ask you guys. The dots to align to the head on exh cam have 2 dots plus the 12 o'clock...
No paperwork on this so I'll ask you guys.
The dots to align to the head on exh cam have 2 dots plus the 12 o'clock dot
What's the difference between the 2 head alignment dots. I'll call them upper as in 10 o'clock and lower as 9 o'clock.
One for bottom to mid and the other for mid to top end ?
I'd like to know which does what.
Thanks
What’s this on post some photos if you can... I highly doubt they’d be for changing the degree of the camshaft Timing; as a change from 10 to 9 would be about a 30 degree change...
tzmike
2/5/2020 11:49pm
That was reference. 2mm or so difference in between the 2 dots
Yz450 quads used to use a 1 tooth change to get to the bike powerband setup to boost top end
tzmike
2/5/2020 11:50pm
I'll get the owner to shoot a pic
tzmike
2/6/2020 12:37am
Found answer in Hot Cams custom cam builders section. Shorter duration is more bottom. Longer let's it rev further
Will use the longer duration dot. But yes, stage 2 exh has 2 different dots (power choice) on the sprocket. I will shoot the pic myself when I complete the ceramic bearings install

The Shop

Paul_Pitzonka
2/6/2020 4:25am Edited Date/Time 2/6/2020 5:15am
tzmike wrote:
Found answer in Hot Cams custom cam builders section. Shorter duration is more bottom. Longer let's it rev further Will use the longer duration dot. But...
Found answer in Hot Cams custom cam builders section. Shorter duration is more bottom. Longer let's it rev further
Will use the longer duration dot. But yes, stage 2 exh has 2 different dots (power choice) on the sprocket. I will shoot the pic myself when I complete the ceramic bearings install
I Can assure you you’re not changing duration (as this is ground into the cam profile) also sounds like you’re using the more retarded timing of the two available... you will decrease piston to valve in doing so.. If this is combined with a higher compression piston I’d make sure you have ample clearance... ( I don’t use many hot cams, but I have installed a few have never come across this before)
slipdog
2/6/2020 6:31am
tzmike wrote:
Found answer in Hot Cams custom cam builders section. Shorter duration is more bottom. Longer let's it rev further Will use the longer duration dot. But...
I Can assure you you’re not changing duration (as this is ground into the cam profile) also sounds like you’re using the more retarded timing of...
I Can assure you you’re not changing duration (as this is ground into the cam profile) also sounds like you’re using the more retarded timing of the two available... you will decrease piston to valve in doing so.. If this is combined with a higher compression piston I’d make sure you have ample clearance... ( I don’t use many hot cams, but I have installed a few have never come across this before)
It would be changing the overlap duration
tzmike
2/6/2020 7:10am
Thanks. I'll do the putty check in the valve pockets
Curious why Hot Cams did that.
Paul_Pitzonka
2/6/2020 7:57am
tzmike wrote:
I Can assure you you’re not changing duration (as this is ground into the cam profile) also sounds like you’re using the more retarded timing of...
slipdog wrote:
It would be changing the overlap duration
Correct! but thats due to a change In lobe separation angle not the duration of lift... Should’ve clarified myself...
tzmike
2/6/2020 8:55am
Hot Cams replied that the sprocket is used for multiple engines. Period. Great answer. Useless. So I will use the 12 oclock dot and the closest head dot for the timing. Tech support there would be great for spam calls...
Paul_Pitzonka
2/6/2020 11:09am
tzmike wrote:
Hot Cams replied that the sprocket is used for multiple engines. Period. Great answer. Useless. So I will use the 12 oclock dot and the closest...
Hot Cams replied that the sprocket is used for multiple engines. Period. Great answer. Useless. So I will use the 12 oclock dot and the closest head dot for the timing. Tech support there would be great for spam calls...
that makes a little more sense... you should’ve given them the grind number they probably could’ve provided you installation instructions as well as a cam card...
tzmike
2/8/2020 3:11am
Ok. Low down is there are 3 different marks on the cams But, 2 are located on the inner portion of sprockets and the other on the outer portion
The outer is my alignment. Too bad Hot Cams could explain that in this simple fashion. Messed with my head trying figure those other 2.

Post a reply to: Hot cams Stage 2 exh with 2 different timing Mark's????

The Latest