Hot Rods Crankshaft bearings failed at 20 hours

Turbojez
Edited Date/Time 4/15/2019 5:17am
Hi guys, did anyone have a similar problem? I completely rebuilt my RM 250 2005 last year, and the Hot Rods crankshaft bearings fell apart at 20 hour mark, destroying the crank in the process (deep notching). I alwas use motul 800 in 1:32 ratio. Damn I am bummed.
|
Hudd_421
4/9/2019 12:59pm
Had a Hot Rods crank blow out on my YZ after 20 hours or so. Destroyed both cases, cylinder and power valve.

Hod Rods/Pivot Works are junk. My torn shoulder wishes i sprung the extra $100 bucks of OEM
JBecker 72
4/9/2019 1:03pm Edited Date/Time 4/9/2019 1:04pm
Always stick with OE cranks and bearings is my rule.

I was surprised, a complete crank and bearings from RMATVMC was $350 for my YZ250. It wasn’t that much more than a Wiseco or Hot Rods bottom end kit. Would have been like $275 if I had gone with them.
Paw Paw 271
4/9/2019 1:05pm
In either case...Was the new crank trued prior to the install? If not the excess run out of the crank will wreck those bearings very quickly. I see this very often when the new crank buyer will just install what comes in the box without having it checked or trued. Also if the crank bearing were not completely free after the install the side load of the bearings may also cause this issue.
Hot Rods 2 stroke cranks are good if installed correctly.

Paw Paw
Turbojez
4/9/2019 2:01pm
In either case...Was the new crank trued prior to the install? If not the excess run out of the crank will wreck those bearings very quickly...
In either case...Was the new crank trued prior to the install? If not the excess run out of the crank will wreck those bearings very quickly. I see this very often when the new crank buyer will just install what comes in the box without having it checked or trued. Also if the crank bearing were not completely free after the install the side load of the bearings may also cause this issue.

Paw Paw
I used my oem crank, which was checked prior to reinstall.
Thank you for the input gentlemen, I am going OEM on the bearings this time. Just a bummer I need to fork out for another crank...

The Shop

Tracktor
4/9/2019 2:28pm
In either case...Was the new crank trued prior to the install? If not the excess run out of the crank will wreck those bearings very quickly...

Paw Paw
I beg to differ. I had a Hot Rods conrod that I got with a bunch of other parts for a KTM 85. I figured how bad could it be for free so had it installed by someone I know & trust. He always shows me run out etc when I pick up and was all good. I installed correctly, shimmed LH main bearing for float etc. Lasted 7 hours and went out. No side loading just plain failed. Had another engine come in last month where the main bearings went at 10 hours. At least the Wiseco/Prox main bearing kits use name brand bearings Hot Rods uses self branded crap. I won't willingly install them in anything...........
Rickyisms
4/9/2019 3:47pm
I ran a hot rods full bottom end in my CR125 for two seasons and can't say one bad thing about it. Held up excellent. I'd contact the company and see if they could help you out.
Paw Paw 271
4/9/2019 4:26pm
Like I have already said. Hot Rods units work fine in 2 strokes and 4 strokes if installed correctly. I have done too many to think otherwise.

Paw Paw
4/9/2019 4:49pm
Had an OEM Yamaha ignition side main bearing break the separator cage. All the balls rolled together, basically lost timing when that happened. The bearing used a plastic material for the cage. Got about 10 races out of it from new.

Had another OEM set for the same engine. They were sloppy out of the box. Crank had excessive up and down movement. Had to jerk it back apart. Called it a day, and got some C3 rated FAG bearings.

You could not have given me another set of those OEM Yamaha bearings.

harescrambled
Fantasy
1992nd
4/9/2019 5:25pm
Like I have already said. Hot Rods units work fine in 2 strokes and 4 strokes if installed correctly. I have done too many to think...
Like I have already said. Hot Rods units work fine in 2 strokes and 4 strokes if installed correctly. I have done too many to think otherwise.

Paw Paw
Same here...ran a Hot Rods crank in a 2004 RMZ250 in GNCC competition, both with standard bore, and 290cc config, with HC Stage 2 intake and exhaust cams. The crank and rod brgs were the items that never failed....the only items not to fail, I might add
Bruce372
4/9/2019 6:13pm
Ran hot rods crank and bearing in rm250 and rm144 with no issues.

It's not like OEM cranks or bearings never fail prematurely????
4/10/2019 4:39am

Paw Paw
Turbojez wrote:
I used my oem crank, which was checked prior to reinstall. Thank you for the input gentlemen, I am going OEM on the bearings this time...
I used my oem crank, which was checked prior to reinstall.
Thank you for the input gentlemen, I am going OEM on the bearings this time. Just a bummer I need to fork out for another crank...
Don’t buy the bearings from Yamaha, go on eBay & type in Koyo crankcase bearings & you’ll get the same bearing for a fraction of the price. Yamaha use Koyo bearings from new.
atrdrvr7
4/10/2019 9:01am
Turbojez wrote:
Hi guys, did anyone have a similar problem? I completely rebuilt my RM 250 2005 last year, and the Hot Rods crankshaft bearings fell apart at...
Hi guys, did anyone have a similar problem? I completely rebuilt my RM 250 2005 last year, and the Hot Rods crankshaft bearings fell apart at 20 hour mark, destroying the crank in the process (deep notching). I alwas use motul 800 in 1:32 ratio. Damn I am bummed.
Just had this issue! Bearings failed at just under 5 hours on a yz125 full rebuild. Never again. Went back to full OEM not a single issue ,
Tracktor
4/10/2019 1:55pm
No OEM makes bearings neither does Hot Rods. Early Hot Rods bearing kits used "name brand" bearings (koyo, skf, nsk, whatever) The last couple set's I have seen have been "Hot Rods" branded and have failed early.
Like above I usually spec bearings from a trusted source. There are only a few odd sizes that truly need to go OEM because it's simply to much hassle verses savings to track down the specific size. Usually transmission bearings........
4/14/2019 10:55am
I don't think I could bring myself to try a hot rods kit. This is with less than 4 hours on a buddy's bike.
4csHATER
4/14/2019 2:54pm
Hit up Dave at WORLDWIDEBEARINGS.COM for all bearing needs, why would you run anything else either those or Microbluebearings.com
Turbojez
4/15/2019 4:58am
Getting a set of KOYO's as we speak, I spoke to some guys trackside yesterday and opinions on Hot Rods vary a lot. One guy had a complete hod rods bottom end blow into pieces within 3 hours of ride time in his bike, and he is a full time dirt bike mechanic so he knows how to install a crankshaft correctly. Thank you for sharing opinions, no more Hot Rods for me.
Turbojez
4/15/2019 5:17am
I don't think I could bring myself to try a hot rods kit. This is with less than 4 hours on a buddy's bike. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/04/14/338799/s1200_IMG_2861.jpg[/img]
I don't think I could bring myself to try a hot rods kit. This is with less than 4 hours on a buddy's bike.
Damn, it looks very expensive.

Post a reply to: Hot Rods Crankshaft bearings failed at 20 hours

The Latest