Honda gas in the oil

knoll895
Edited Date/Time 11/28/2018 11:36am

Honda crf250r and 450r 09 and newer fuel injected bikes have always had an issue with gas making its way to the crankcase and filling the crankcase with gas. With this problem, it will dilute the oil and cause your crank bearings, cylinder wall, cam, lifters, and seals to fail prematurely, costing you lots of money and down time from riding. Some guys and dealers have tried to fix the problem with expensive injectors and fuel pumps and still had the same results. The gas is getting to the oil while the bike is off and not while it's running like you may have read on the forums. When you shut your bike off and the timing of the fuel injection is right " or in a bad spot for shutting it off " the injector will hang open and let the gas siphon very slowly thru your injector down the Intake past the Intake valves past the piston and right into the oil. With the kit that I put together it will take care of this problem and keep you riding instead of wrenching. https://www.ebay.com/itm/182682508469
|
m1ke2001
7/23/2017 5:14pm Edited Date/Time 7/23/2017 5:16pm
This isnt for free advertisment and you dont clearly mention what comes included and ive never heard of this issue as a common problem. You also just created your account today I think this is just a scam or an attemp to try and get people to buy your product.
j368
7/23/2017 5:42pm
m1ke2001 wrote:
This isnt for free advertisment and you dont clearly mention what comes included and ive never heard of this issue as a common problem. You also...
This isnt for free advertisment and you dont clearly mention what comes included and ive never heard of this issue as a common problem. You also just created your account today I think this is just a scam or an attemp to try and get people to buy your product.
Unfortunately this has been an issue for several years for some. It's been talked about to death on Thumper Talk with no real solution. Honda knows about. I've never really had this issue with my bikes fortunately.
m1ke2001
7/23/2017 5:58pm
m1ke2001 wrote:
This isnt for free advertisment and you dont clearly mention what comes included and ive never heard of this issue as a common problem. You also...
j368 wrote:
Unfortunately this has been an issue for several years for some. It's been talked about to death on Thumper Talk with no real solution. Honda knows...
Unfortunately this has been an issue for several years for some. It's been talked about to death on Thumper Talk with no real solution. Honda knows about. I've never really had this issue with my bikes fortunately.
Two of my friends have a Honda, one a 2010 and other other a 2013 and neither had this issue.
knoll895
7/23/2017 7:49pm
My kit is a valve and some clamps. I did this when the problem first started in 2009 on my cousins crf 450 and hasn't had a problem since. I bought a 2013 crf 450 thinking that the problem had probably been taken care of by Honda but after I put 4hr on it, I checked the oil and sure enough it overflowed out of the dipstick. 1 and a half years later my buddy bought a 2014 crf 450 and same thing happen to him. So I figured I could help a lot of other people out that are having the same problem.

The Shop

tempura
7/23/2017 8:04pm
Never heard of this problem.
I own a CRF and my oil level stays consistently the same
Paw Paw
7/23/2017 8:07pm
The problem is real! A good cleaning or replacing of the injector will normally correct the issue.
I must say also that I have never heard of this product.

Paw Paw
knoll895
7/23/2017 8:35pm
It is really nothing space age but it is simple, very reasonable, and it works. I personally called Honda about it and all they could tell me is change your oil more but at $8 a quart and literally changing it before every ride. That got old really quick. My brain storm of the on off valve worked.
harescrambled
Fantasy
1942nd
7/24/2017 4:38am
knoll895 wrote:
It is really nothing space age but it is simple, very reasonable, and it works. I personally called Honda about it and all they could tell...
It is really nothing space age but it is simple, very reasonable, and it works. I personally called Honda about it and all they could tell me is change your oil more but at $8 a quart and literally changing it before every ride. That got old really quick. My brain storm of the on off valve worked.
You see the ads around the perimeter of this site, don't you? If you're going to advertise a product here you should buy ad space like everyone else does.
Mr Happy
Fantasy
2561st
7/24/2017 4:43am
I use cheap own brand oil from the local auto factors that works out to less than £2 a litre, so change it every ride. When home set it at tdc and drain the oil. Wrap some masking tape around the throttle and front brake and write oil on it so you don't forget. Night before riding refill the oil. Simple and never failed.
knoll895
7/24/2017 6:20am
i am just bringing up a common problem and I have seen there is no fix for it. And as far leaving the bike sit without oil in it that is fine I'm glad that works for but i wasn't going to do that.
FahQ
7/24/2017 7:14am
Knoll, you are delusional if you think that "timing" has anything to do with an electrically activated injector. As if it were mechanically fired.
knoll895
7/24/2017 7:22am
FahQ wrote:
Knoll, you are delusional if you think that "timing" has anything to do with an electrically activated injector. As if it were mechanically fired.
I'm sorry, you must be a lot smarter me, so could please explain to me how this system works?
Mr Happy
Fantasy
2561st
7/24/2017 2:47pm
The pintle in the injector is moved by a solenoid. If you loose the signal, by turning the bike off, the injector closes as no power is supplied to the solenoid.
FahQ
7/24/2017 2:53pm
Sorry to jump on you like that, your fix should help. But the underlying problem would be a leaky injector caused by deposits. The injectors are closed by an internal spring, only when running is electric sent to the injector to fire it. I don't have any idea what Honda recommends to clean them but if your running pump gas I would be running a "top tier" gas
Paw Paw
7/24/2017 3:07pm
Mr Happy wrote:
The pintle in the injector is moved by a solenoid. If you loose the signal, by turning the bike off, the injector closes as no power...
The pintle in the injector is moved by a solenoid. If you loose the signal, by turning the bike off, the injector closes as no power is supplied to the solenoid.
But if the injector is dirty and not closing all the way it will leak fuel while the engine is off.

Paw Paw
knoll895
7/24/2017 3:19pm
Roger, no worries man just dishing it back. I know the injector does not function like an old 12 valve cummins. I completely understand that it may take some debris to make the injector stick but like on my bike or the other bikes I have put the valve on we didn't notice any difference in power if the injector was dirty. Not everyone is comfortable with pulling the fuel system apart and cleaning it and not everyone is a big time racer and just has it to play around on like me. My 2013 has 57hr on it so that tells you I don't ride enough but All I wanted to solve was the gas in the oil issue because it bugs me when you pay so much for these toys and they have stupid little problems like this. The valve is super easy to put in and has been run for years on other bikes and I have detailed instructions with pictures that come with it. I have done all the leg work with this kit so you can get everything you need to make it go together easily.
Mr Happy
Fantasy
2561st
7/24/2017 5:11pm
Mr Happy wrote:
The pintle in the injector is moved by a solenoid. If you loose the signal, by turning the bike off, the injector closes as no power...
Paw Paw wrote:
But if the injector is dirty and not closing all the way it will leak fuel while the engine is off.

Paw Paw
Possibly. My reply answered the fact that he thought the injector could be held open if the bike were turned off when the injector is firing, which is impossible even with a jerk pump. The only injector I know of that could is the pump duse type.

It could be a poor design, manufacturing fault or both. Had it on one of mine from pretty much new so who knows.
7/24/2017 5:52pm
I have a 12 crf 450r that leaks. I don't see how the shut off would keep the fuel from the back side of the valve to the injector from pushing through. I can see how an in line tee with a valve to bleed off fuel and pressure would work. I am interested because I have had buddies try everything and yet still gas in oil. I deal with it by changing oil every ride and it sucks. I also run a twin air gas tank sock and star tron to help with ethanol issues. Also put in new injector awhile back, still gas in oil. The bike runs perfect while riding.
knoll895
7/24/2017 7:18pm
I have a 12 crf 450r that leaks. I don't see how the shut off would keep the fuel from the back side of the valve...
I have a 12 crf 450r that leaks. I don't see how the shut off would keep the fuel from the back side of the valve to the injector from pushing through. I can see how an in line tee with a valve to bleed off fuel and pressure would work. I am interested because I have had buddies try everything and yet still gas in oil. I deal with it by changing oil every ride and it sucks. I also run a twin air gas tank sock and star tron to help with ethanol issues. Also put in new injector awhile back, still gas in oil. The bike runs perfect while riding.
The valve would kind of be like holding your thumb over a straw. While testing the valve I tried turning the bike off by turning the gas off and while it would turn off instantly I could still smell gas in the oil so I tried the kill switch then turning the gas off every time I shut it off and that was the ticket! Why it worked that way and not the other I'm not really sure but it worked. last year for my last ride in October, I hit the kill switch then turned the gas off and it sat all winter until march and I checked the oil in march and it was right where it was before winter.
BobPA
7/24/2017 8:15pm
Can you just unclip the quick disconnect fuel line to relieve the pressure.
knoll895
7/25/2017 4:11am
BobPA wrote:
Can you just unclip the quick disconnect fuel line to relieve the pressure.
You could but is it accessible and I think it would spit gas out. Just seems messy and a little inconvenient.
BobPA
7/25/2017 9:33am
They only let a few drops of fuel out. They have a ball valve so the do not leak
knoll895
7/25/2017 9:59am
BobPA wrote:
They only let a few drops of fuel out. They have a ball valve so the do not leak
That's what I'm using is a ball valve.
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
7/25/2017 12:12pm
The Honda gas in oil prob is well established. Some bikes have it mildly (smell of gas in oil but no level change, like my bike) and others have it horribly.. like overflow the oil fill every ride.

On my 2012, it only has 52 hrs and I've used a tank sock filter and anti-ethanol since day-1. So I am not convinced dirt or debris is the cause.

Early on, there was another guy selling a kit on ebay which was essentially a kill switch that was placed in line on the 5V power wire to the fuel pump. The switch would be mounted where you could reach it. Instead of hitting the normal kill switch you would kill the power to the pump and let the bike run out of fuel and all the residual pressure behind the injector would be relieved.

I wish the real cause could be determined here. It's baffling that the Hondas do this much more than other brands. Others do it as well but not with the frequency of the Hondas. Strange considering they all use basically the same throttle body and injectors and these injectors are also common on many street bikes, cars, etc.
knoll895
7/25/2017 3:30pm
I do know that the gas isn't getting in the oil while it's running, like some people think. The gas can only get to the oil when the bike is off. I haven't seen the kill switch like posted above, sounds cool but not user friendly for anybody to install.
revitout
7/31/2017 12:00am
It's happening to my 17'450r. 10hrs on clock, changed to oil three times and smells strongly of gas and is very runny.
HenryA
7/31/2017 10:19am
I had this problem on my 09. But it happened when the bike was running in really cold weather and the bike ran too rich since it never reached operating temperature. Fixed it by installing a thermostat. Never had any fuel in the oil after that.

revitout
7/31/2017 12:33pm
Its not cold where I've been riding so it can't be that. I need to try relieving pressure in the fuel line after riding to see if that helps. Has anyone tried that?
MotoCoUSA
11/27/2018 10:44am
revitout wrote:
Its not cold where I've been riding so it can't be that. I need to try relieving pressure in the fuel line after riding to see...
Its not cold where I've been riding so it can't be that. I need to try relieving pressure in the fuel line after riding to see if that helps. Has anyone tried that?
Did you find a fix for this? My oil had gas in it I noticed the other day when changing it. I planned on draining the gas and run some cleaner through it to see if that helps. Wondering what you did.
revitout
11/27/2018 11:13am
No I haven't , apparently Honda have never heard of the issue. Last time I changed oil there was 100mls more come out than I put in. Amazing oil producing machine. Apart from that no issues. would love to know how to fix this issue. There must be Honda mech's that read this.

Post a reply to: Honda gas in the oil

The Latest