Honda cr 125 timing

billyslad
I have just rebult a 1986 honda CR 125 engine and I cannot get it to start

Have tried all of the obvious and even swapped things like carb , cdi , removed airfilter checked exhaust is not blocked

It has plenty of compression and has a strong spark I have double checked all wiring

It is like it is sparking in the wrong place after kicking it over and over and then removing the sparkplug it releases smoke as if it is trying to run backwards

Also kicks back at you when you kick it over

I have had the stator rewound for the engine rebuild and I am wondering if they have their wires crossed somewhere

Any ideas welcome as I am at my wits end
|
4/24/2017 7:54am
The 1st thing I would check is the woodruff key on the left hand crankshaft that keys the flywheel.
billyslad
4/24/2017 8:04am
The 1st thing I would check is the woodruff key on the left hand crankshaft that keys the flywheel.
Thank you ,I have checked and changed the woodruff key but dont think there was anything wrong with the original
billyslad
4/26/2017 11:26pm
Another simple thing to check is the kill button failing.
Thanks buddy

I persevered with this and pulled everything apart to double check swapping carbs and cdi etc
I have a hpi ignition so I mounted this up
The flywheel has no woodruff key and the one sent required a .20 thou spacer turned up to get it right distance from backplate

I put it accidentally back to front to start with and tried to kick it over and had the same symptoms however sat and thought and re read the install manual realised my error and then set it up correctly

It fired right up so I conclude that the refurbished stator must also be wound incorrectly or back to front

At least I have ended a frustrating few days

Post a reply to: Honda cr 125 timing

The Latest