Hinson vs oem vs cheap aftermarket clutch plates

Jack_Mehoff
Fantasy
57th
I need a new clutch in my ktm 350. Is it worth the extra cash for oem or Hinson over a cheap brand like tusk? I'm 180 lb B rider so I'm pretty hard on stuff and I need it to last.
|
erik_94COBRA
9/22/2017 10:44am
OEM basket should be good. Tusk plates work good on my Hondas, and have a set waiting for my KTM 150.

Side note: there was a county official long ago named Jackie Moff.
9/22/2017 3:19pm
I have also used Tusk kits in both my 450 and 125 with no complaints at all, seem to last just as long as other brands ive used.
Acidreamer
9/22/2017 3:23pm
Id go with oem or hinson. I strongly advise against putting chinese stuff in your motor. Tons of people have good luck with namura pistons but look at how many peoples bikes blow up as well. Ive never had any problems with oem or hinson plates.

CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
9/22/2017 4:11pm
I'm really impressed with Hinson clutches. It's a bit extra but their parts are bulletproof!

The Shop

Knoby
9/22/2017 4:34pm
X2 Love mine! What about a Wiseco basket with Hinson plates, fibers, and pressure plate? It would be a bit cheaper
Pirate421
9/22/2017 4:55pm
How many hours do you have on your clutch? I just got a 350 and curious how many hours you're getting out of it. I got 50 hrs out of the stock plates on my 250sx and could have gone much longer. Basket didn't have hint of a groove or discoloration. Something to be said about the steel baskets. I would also check and see if the 2018 plates are compatible because they have a new coating on them that is supposed to wear better with the steel basket. Read it in mxa this month.
ktm-5
9/22/2017 6:47pm
Knoby wrote:
X2 Love mine! What about a Wiseco basket with Hinson plates, fibers, and pressure plate? It would be a bit cheaper
I've heard that moose clutch baskets are made on the same assembly line as Hinson and given moose name. I've always had great luck with moose baskets
9/22/2017 7:32pm
buy a quality part. saving $100 isn't worth the price of a cheaper part if it fails when you're spend time recovering form injury. just my .02
Bruce372
9/22/2017 8:04pm
Wiseco basket and plates are good in my experience. I've owned 5 Suzukis, so I know all about worn out clutches
NeedMoto
9/22/2017 10:03pm
17 CRF450,stock clutch had to adjust play a couple of times each moto outing.

I put in a Hinson clutch plate assembly, and zero fade, better modulation. Excellent product!!!
CLT809
Fantasy
16th
9/23/2017 6:24am
The Hinson plates never seemed to perform any better for me. They did last longer in Kawasaki's than stock, but not really in hondas or KTM's in my opinion. Their aluminum pieces are awesome though.

As for a tusk, I put one in one time because I had several Rocky Mountain gas cards so I could save my money for a trip to southwick and red bud. The clutch started slipping in the first practice at southwick, and when I pulled the set out, 2 plates were broken. Never again.

DP makes an outstanding clutch kit, very durable, hooks up great, but did have a weird engagement point.

It's very hard to improve upon the ktm clutch.
9/23/2017 8:08am
ktm-5 wrote:
I've heard that moose clutch baskets are made on the same assembly line as Hinson and given moose name. I've always had great luck with moose...
I've heard that moose clutch baskets are made on the same assembly line as Hinson and given moose name. I've always had great luck with moose baskets
Wouldn't surprise me if both Moose and Hinson contract the same production facility for manufacturing (I know this is super popular in the helmet industry) however the specifics of the raw materials being used as decided by Moose, Pro-X, Hinson, etc can still vary; and in this case I believe most likely does. Not all metals and coatings are the same. But yeah, most people would be baffled if they knew how many different brands (from consumer products to moto stuff) all come out of the same factory.
H4L
9/23/2017 9:00am
Wouldn't surprise me if both Moose and Hinson contract the same production facility for manufacturing (I know this is super popular in the helmet industry) however...
Wouldn't surprise me if both Moose and Hinson contract the same production facility for manufacturing (I know this is super popular in the helmet industry) however the specifics of the raw materials being used as decided by Moose, Pro-X, Hinson, etc can still vary; and in this case I believe most likely does. Not all metals and coatings are the same. But yeah, most people would be baffled if they knew how many different brands (from consumer products to moto stuff) all come out of the same factory.
Yes. I've witnessed this at a factory back east through the corp I work for in the automotive industry.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
9/23/2017 10:14am
Wouldn't surprise me if both Moose and Hinson contract the same production facility for manufacturing (I know this is super popular in the helmet industry) however...
H4L wrote:
Yes. I've witnessed this at a factory back east through the corp I work for in the automotive industry.
Doesn't Hinson make all their own products in house?
If you skip to 5:30 you can see the machine process:
http://m.vitalmx.com/videos/features/Behind-the-Scenes-A-Candid-Look-at…
H4L
9/23/2017 10:33am
Doesn't Hinson make all their own products in house? If you skip to 5:30 you can see the machine process: http://m.vitalmx.com/videos/features/Behind-the-Scenes-A-Candid-Look-at-Hinson-Racing,13773/ML512,13480
IDK about Hinson & moose manufacturing products at the same plant / warehouse. I was responding to F150Motocrosser's post about a couple of company's using the same place, but using their own materials. In my case I have seen different manufactures use the same plant that used different substrates to make the same product. It was interesting to see since they are competitors.
H4L
9/23/2017 10:42am
Have a 6 spring Hinson clutch kit on a 10 CRF450r & it has been bullet proof in comparison to the oem 4 spring unit. Will be using one on the CR when it's due for a replacement. Personally wouldn't even consider a Tusk or any cheap aftermarket unit.
ktm-5
9/23/2017 10:56am
H4L wrote:
Doesn't Hinson make all their own products in house? If you skip to 5:30 you can see the machine process: http://m.vitalmx.com/videos/features/Behind-the-Scenes-A-Candid-Look-at-Hinson-Racing,13773/ML512,13480
I'm not sure exactly, just my dealer had said Hinson makes the moose baskets also. They may use different material idk.
FRANZINI499
9/24/2017 9:46am
Basically all Moose products are made by someone else, but they team up with them to make their normal products with the Moose name on them. For example: Moose pistons and rods by Cp Carrillo, Moose valve train by Kibblewhite, Moose shifters and brake pedals by Hammerhead, Moose carbon fiber pieces by Eline, Moose enduro armor by Enduro Engineering, etc, etc, etc... So it is very possible for Moose to have a clutch basket made by Hinson!
BobPA
9/24/2017 4:42pm
Pirate421 wrote:
How many hours do you have on your clutch? I just got a 350 and curious how many hours you're getting out of it. I got...
How many hours do you have on your clutch? I just got a 350 and curious how many hours you're getting out of it. I got 50 hrs out of the stock plates on my 250sx and could have gone much longer. Basket didn't have hint of a groove or discoloration. Something to be said about the steel baskets. I would also check and see if the 2018 plates are compatible because they have a new coating on them that is supposed to wear better with the steel basket. Read it in mxa this month.
I had 165 on my '11 350 when I sold it. Basket and inner hub looked new, clutch plates were still in spec.

Previous owner put Tusk plates in my KX250 smoker, clutch fades terrible when I get into tight hillclimbs...or whenever you beat on the clutch a bit. They are going right in the dumpster when the bike gets framed this winter...
GarrettL
9/26/2017 7:53am
I would strongly suggest you avoid Tusk clutch plates. They fade bad....and quickly!!!
boston_jorj
9/28/2017 7:59pm
I rode my brothers YZ 125 with Tusk plates this past weekend. While it started out pretty good it faded bad.

Post a reply to: Hinson vs oem vs cheap aftermarket clutch plates

The Latest