Help me please!

zac_k3
Edited Date/Time 2/20/2018 5:27pm
So after having some problems with my clutch cable not adjusting properly a guy at the local shop suggested their is something internally wrong with the clutch and that if I checked it out I might find my problem. As soon as I got the bike home I pulled the cover, pressure plate and springs, and clutch plates out and immediately saw that that nut holding the basket was barely hanging on, I removed it and continued checking the clutch and and it seemed like a few things were backwards according to the oem display. After studying the oem diagram I assembled the clutch the way it should be (at least I thought) but I’m still running into the issue of the nut barely wanting to screw on. Am I doing something wrong or is just supposed to be that way? Here are some photos, I apologize in advance for such shitty pictures.

|
2/1/2018 3:23pm
Did you put the plates in correctly? Fiber first, after the basket is in, then steel then fiber again, etc?

Is your clutch fading or is it not disengaging when adjusted.

I haven’t worked on an RM, but there may be an inline adjuster on the cable for more broad adjust. The lever adjustment is usually fine tuning.

Also, is it an old/wrong cable? It could have stretched or be too long.
zac_k3
2/1/2018 3:33pm
Did you put the plates in correctly? Fiber first, after the basket is in, then steel then fiber again, etc? Is your clutch fading or is...
Did you put the plates in correctly? Fiber first, after the basket is in, then steel then fiber again, etc?

Is your clutch fading or is it not disengaging when adjusted.

I haven’t worked on an RM, but there may be an inline adjuster on the cable for more broad adjust. The lever adjustment is usually fine tuning.

Also, is it an old/wrong cable? It could have stretched or be too long.
I haven’t even attempted putting the plates in yet because I definitely think something is wrong. I went to replace the cable because the old one was splitting and I wasn’t 100% sure on how to do it so I ended up taking it to the local shop and didn’t even get it out it of the truck. The guy came out, told me what I should be doing to adjust the cable to take enough slack out of it to stay in the clutch arm. We never got it adjusted so he then told me that arm was going to low and he thinks something is wrong with the clutch.
2/1/2018 3:34pm Edited Date/Time 2/1/2018 3:41pm
Keep playing with it and making sure everything is engaged with gears underneath the basket and inner hub. It should go down more. As well you basket and hub have time on them you can see the wear marks. Not good.
2/1/2018 3:36pm
Are you sure the cable isn’t binding in the sleeve? Take it off the lever and it should spring down with the lever. It’s should only be an 8mm bolt.

The Shop

ktm-5
2/1/2018 3:37pm
I'd say something is screwy behind the inner clutch hub. Perhaps the washer is wrong and too thick? Or something behind the clutch basket, somewhere between those 2 something is wrong. With all that said u need a new basket and inner hub, those are completely shot, maybe they are even the wrong parts?? Is this a new bike to u?
ktm-5
2/1/2018 4:03pm
Yes the lighting sucks but from what I could barely see it almost seems like the collar washer for the basket isn't down far enough?? Something isnt right because u should have enough threads for the whole nut. Is this a new bike to u? Could the bearing for the shaft be wrong or backwards and sticking out too far?
zac_k3
2/1/2018 4:10pm
ktm-5 wrote:
Yes the lighting sucks but from what I could barely see it almost seems like the collar washer for the basket isn't down far enough?? Something...
Yes the lighting sucks but from what I could barely see it almost seems like the collar washer for the basket isn't down far enough?? Something isnt right because u should have enough threads for the whole nut. Is this a new bike to u? Could the bearing for the shaft be wrong or backwards and sticking out too far?
I’ve had the bike for a year but I’ve been building it the whole time, after I got it built and rode it around the drive way and stuff i ordered a new clutch cable and perch when I saw the splitting. it’s the second time I’ve had the cover off but the first time I had the pressure plate off.
zac_k3
2/1/2018 4:25pm
I think I’ve got it figured out! For the basket to go down properly you have to lift this gear for the spacer and bearing to drop down to let the gear on the back of the basket run against that gear that was in the way. Doing this let everything drop so the nut can go all the way on.

ktm-5
2/1/2018 5:29pm Edited Date/Time 2/1/2018 5:30pm
Congratulations u found it. It was hard to tell in your video but it didn't look like that bearing collar/washer was sitting down all the way. BTW u really should replace the basket and inner hub
zac_k3
2/1/2018 5:35pm
ktm-5 wrote:
Congratulations u found it. It was hard to tell in your video but it didn't look like that bearing collar/washer was sitting down all the way...
Congratulations u found it. It was hard to tell in your video but it didn't look like that bearing collar/washer was sitting down all the way. BTW u really should replace the basket and inner hub
I’m going to here soon, thanks for the help!
Paw Paw 271
2/1/2018 7:50pm
Both basket and the hub are worn out and need replacing.

Paw Paw
zac_k3
2/2/2018 4:47am
Both basket and the hub are worn out and need replacing.

Paw Paw
Is the basket groved to the point of not being able to file some them away?
Paw Paw 271
2/2/2018 5:21am
You can file it, but in doing so you will create uneven pressure on the fiber plates and in most cases they will break.
It's just not a good idea. The hub is also worn out and needs to be replaced. With both units worn this bad, the clutch will grab, slip and drag causing all kinds of issues riding.

Paw Paw
Jake_CR250R
2/2/2018 8:05am
Yeah I honestly wouldn't bother with filing the notches. Just bite the bullet and get a good setup like the Hinson. It will last much longer than the stock.
zac_k3
2/2/2018 3:14pm
I just went ahead and ordered a new oem basket and hub, the Hinson was $250 and then you have to put the old gear onto it so I just bought the oem which was cheaper as well.
zac_k3
2/20/2018 10:47am
Well after waiting a few weeks I finally have everything, does it matter what side faces out on the fibers?

Paw Paw 271
2/20/2018 1:14pm Edited Date/Time 2/20/2018 1:15pm
No it does not unless they have a rounded edge on the fingers. In that case make the rounded edge face out or up.

Paw Paw
zac_k3
2/20/2018 5:11pm
No it does not unless they have a rounded edge on the fingers. In that case make the rounded edge face out or up.

Paw Paw
Does it matter what way the clutch plates themselves go in?
Paw Paw 271
2/20/2018 5:27pm
Are you asking about the steel plates? If so, the same rules apply.

Paw Paw

Post a reply to: Help me please!

The Latest