Help,! Can’t get to the rear brake master cylinder

Edited Date/Time 7/26/2018 6:54am

How do I get this cover off? Also how should I go about removing a stripped screw holding the mc to the frame?

Bike is 98 kx125
|
kb228
7/25/2018 10:37am
The 2 bolts take it off. Id suggest stripping the paint off before continuing. Youre not supposed to paint over hardware.

If the heads are stripped youll have to drill the heads off. That will at least allow you to take it apart. Then the studs you have left will come right out.

If your threads are stripped it depends on how all that goes together. If theres threads in the master cylinder youll need to repair those or get a new cylinder. If theres nuts on the back, take an angle grinder and cut them off and it will come apart.
Bman_145
7/25/2018 10:42am
Drill or grind the heads off holding the guard on. Use vice grips on the remaining stripped screw to grab it and work it out.
7/25/2018 2:09pm
kb228 wrote:
The 2 bolts take it off. Id suggest stripping the paint off before continuing. Youre not supposed to paint over hardware. If the heads are stripped...
The 2 bolts take it off. Id suggest stripping the paint off before continuing. Youre not supposed to paint over hardware.

If the heads are stripped youll have to drill the heads off. That will at least allow you to take it apart. Then the studs you have left will come right out.

If your threads are stripped it depends on how all that goes together. If theres threads in the master cylinder youll need to repair those or get a new cylinder. If theres nuts on the back, take an angle grinder and cut them off and it will come apart.
Yea I bought the bike off a 17 year old kid.....I’m kinda surprised it’s not in worse condition......but he or the previous owner rattle canned it smh....rear shock too.....part of the reason I’m tearing it down now to see if I can get the paint off of parts or replace them....but thanks for the response
7/25/2018 3:05pm
Also my new throttle cable came in and I realized although this is probably the original cable it’s still in damn good condition, but instead I needed this piece from the carburetor cap

I looked on partzilla and it’s not a part that is sold individually and I can’t find the entire cap assembly.....anyone know what it’s called or how to find it or the entire assembly, any help is very much appreciated

The Shop

kb228
7/25/2018 3:13pm
If youre willing, id suggest getting a lectron carb
7/25/2018 4:18pm
Anything from stock would be an upgrade but what’s the hype behind a lectron?
kb228
7/25/2018 4:44pm
You dont have to fiddle with jets. Set and forget and your bike runs perfectly all the time. If youre looking at carbs and arent a jetting sensei then lectron is for you
7/25/2018 4:55pm
Never had to deal with jetting....this is kinda technically my first bike as an adult but I think this carb is stock jetting which may need to be modified becuz the kid put an fmf gold series fatty/shorty silencer on it.....I’ll give it a go and see how i take to it, if it’s harder than ap calculus then I may consider the 420 price tag
kb228
7/26/2018 3:08am
Jetting is hard to learn if you dont have someone teach you what bad jetting is. Cameron Neimela has a few good jetting videos and spark plug videos on his channel. He went and explained what rich and lean sounds like and feels like and how to fix it.

Or you can have a shop jet it for you. I had my kx250f jetted for $70
BR8ES
7/26/2018 5:33am
Lectron is expensive and far from set and forget, multiple threads show that. Rebuild the stock carb and put the Lectron money into the resto.
7/26/2018 6:00am
I have a little experience with carb adjustments on smaller two stroke engines....I think their two strokes. I grew up playing with the gas powered rc cars. No jetting but u do have to know lean vs rich adjustments....so I have an understanding of that

Pair that with the cam neimela videos (I watch his YouTube regularly, even b4 I had a bike) and the fmf jetting chart I feel like I have a good starting foundation, but like I said I’ve never actually had to deal with jets so only time will tell.

Besides I’m not the type to run from something becuz it “might be hard to learn” I rather learn the hard way first then anything to make it easier I consider incorporating if it works for me!
kb228
7/26/2018 6:03am
Sounds good. Some people have that desire some dont. Its good to know all the options either way. Good luck
7/26/2018 6:53am
Also my new throttle cable came in and I realized although this is probably the original cable it’s still in damn good condition, but instead I...
Also my new throttle cable came in and I realized although this is probably the original cable it’s still in damn good condition, but instead I needed this piece from the carburetor cap

I looked on partzilla and it’s not a part that is sold individually and I can’t find the entire cap assembly.....anyone know what it’s called or how to find it or the entire assembly, any help is very much appreciated
But back to this.... anyone know where I can find this single piece or the entire cap assembly?

Post a reply to: Help,! Can’t get to the rear brake master cylinder

The Latest