Help! 2013 ktm 350 sxf won't start

MikeL281

I want to start off by saying I'm an automotive mechanic that's pretty good at what I do so I didn't just blindly start taking a motor apart with no experience but am struggling with this bike. I bought a 2013 ktm 350sxf over the summer. I figured I would take the winter to do everything over. Got the frame powder coated, clutch, top end, lapped the valves etc. anyways, I finally got the bike back together tonight went to hit the start button and nothing happened. No click from the starter no fuel pump whine no light flash, nothing. Battery is fully charged the main fuse be the air filter is good. If I test the wire on the starter it always has 12 volts to it I don't think that seems right but not 100% sure. Also if I put the bike in gear and try to turn the motor from the rear wheel it moves a little then stops and if I go the opposite direction it'll go the same distance and stop, back and forth. That's with the spark plug removed btw. So obviously I have some issues somewhere with the motor or clutch I guess. I'm wondering if anyone has run across this or has an idea what could have gone wrong and if the 2 problems are related. Oh one more thing, I have an extra Part that I'm not sure where it goes or honestly if it even goes to the bike or one of the cars I was working on I attached a picture. lol I'm sure I sound like an idiot right now and I'm sorry if I do Any help would be very very appreciated. Thanks, Mike

|
godog
Fantasy
1428th
2/14/2017 5:04pm
On the parts diagram, that piece is #8 on the cylinder head page.It is used to seal the spark plug between the head itself and the valve cover. Im guessing you may not have the cam timing correct and the piston is contacting the valves.
MikeL281
2/14/2017 5:21pm
Thanks for the reply! That stupid sleeve has been driving me nuts. I figured the same thing I must have messed up with the timing. Haven't had time to take the motor back apart yet. Figured out the lack of power problem with nothing happening when hitting the start button. I had the subframe powder coated and didn't clean it off where it contacts the frame so the ground from the battery is only grounding the subframe and not making contact to ground the rest of the frame
Paw Paw 271
2/14/2017 5:48pm
FYI....You don't lap these valves as it will screw them up!
I would suggest that your cam timing is way off as well.

Paw Paw
MikeL281
2/16/2017 7:33am

Figured out the issue with the motor too. I guess I didn't get the timing chain tensioner to pop out so there was no tension on the timing chain. Must have skipped a tooth or something cuz the timing was off too Thanks for the responses. Here's a couple pics

The Shop

KNIGHT104
2/16/2017 10:07am Edited Date/Time 2/16/2017 10:18am
i dont know if you used it but there is a bolt under the waterpump that has a copper gasket that you can install and it will hold TDC and if you forget to remove that it will not do anything bc crank is locked

Post a reply to: Help! 2013 ktm 350 sxf won't start

The Latest