Handlebar Vibration 2001 RM250

Colt373
6/5/2017 9:12pm
I rebuilt a 2001 RM 250 and now I finally have about 3.5 hours on it. The bike came with a set of tag upper and lower triple clamps, which has rigid handle bar mounts. I'm looking for something to lower the vibration. it is so bad I can barely hold on when going through a set of spaced out whoops. I know I should grip the bike with my legs, I got it. But this vibration is pretty bad even when just coasting.

Does anyone have any idea what companies I could get some rubber mounted handlebar clamps for this thing? I've been looking at the XTRIG PHDS and it looks pretty awesome. I know its not going to ever be as smooth as a 4 stroke, but I need something to dampen it. Any ideas or assistance is welcome and greatly appreciated!
|
Turbojez
6/6/2017 12:06am
I don't think it's a bar mount issue. I have a solid mount triple clamps as well and the only moment I feel the vibrations is when I'm standing still with the bike idling. As soon as the bike starts moving I cannot feel any more vibrations than I did on a 4-stroke.
K-dubbb
6/6/2017 7:15am
Turbojez wrote:
I don't think it's a bar mount issue. I have a solid mount triple clamps as well and the only moment I feel the vibrations is...
I don't think it's a bar mount issue. I have a solid mount triple clamps as well and the only moment I feel the vibrations is when I'm standing still with the bike idling. As soon as the bike starts moving I cannot feel any more vibrations than I did on a 4-stroke.
Agreed, I have solid mount and no vibration issues.
Colt373
6/6/2017 7:20am
Hmm. I failed to mention that I have these installed as well

https://www.fasstco.com/products/anti-vibration-inserts

I anticipated vibration when I was building it. Maybe they are actually contributing to even more vibration? I'm going to remove them from the handle bars and see if that helps a little bit. I also have a set of Torc 1 bars.. I've been reading around and people say the Pro Taper EVOs lower vibration as well. Any inputs?
K-dubbb
6/6/2017 7:50am Edited Date/Time 6/6/2017 7:51am
I'd be confused as to how those could add "More" vibration...

I am running Renthal 7/8's bars with ODI Emig lock-ons....not sure you can go much stiffer than that?

Maybe try Pro Taper Pillow top grips first?

Or is there something loose on the bike that is sending a wave of un natural vibration?

The Shop

Turbojez
6/7/2017 1:34am
K-dubbb wrote:
I'd be confused as to how those could add "More" vibration... I am running Renthal 7/8's bars with ODI Emig lock-ons....not sure you can go much...

I am running Renthal 7/8's bars with ODI Emig lock-ons....not sure you can go much stiffer than that?

Or is there something loose on the bike that is sending a wave of un natural vibration?
That would be my guess.
Check all the engine/exhaust mounting points. If they're all tight then maybe the crank is out of balance?
Just a wild guess, I know but it is possible.
My bike is a bit shaky on idle (you can see side plates and fenders moving) but as soon as I touch the throttle the shaking goes away and I'm pretty sure it should be like this.
Acidreamer
6/7/2017 11:20am
K-dubbb wrote:
I'd be confused as to how those could add "More" vibration... I am running Renthal 7/8's bars with ODI Emig lock-ons....not sure you can go much...

Turbojez wrote:
That would be my guess. Check all the engine/exhaust mounting points. If they're all tight then maybe the crank is out of balance? Just a wild...
That would be my guess.
Check all the engine/exhaust mounting points. If they're all tight then maybe the crank is out of balance?
Just a wild guess, I know but it is possible.
My bike is a bit shaky on idle (you can see side plates and fenders moving) but as soon as I touch the throttle the shaking goes away and I'm pretty sure it should be like this.
This. Check mounting points on everything. Had vibration issues on my yz250 and i hadnt torqued an engine mount bolt and an exhaust bolt was loose.
wojo108
6/8/2017 3:42pm
I have the same bike and had the same gnarly hand numbing vibrations. Installed an RG3 dual post rubber mounted top clamp (thank you eBay), pro taper pillow top grips, and renthal fat bars. Bingo way better. I can ride the bike all day w 0 issues now. Also go through and torque all mounts and such etc as well
tempura
6/8/2017 9:13pm
Did you split the cases?
The crank could be out, or installed wrong.
Loosen all the engine and cylinder mounting. Make sure everything is lined up well, and retorque in the correct sequence.
Go over all the whole bike, make sure everything is fitted and torqued correctly
Colt373
6/27/2017 10:10pm
Sorry it took so long to get back to this thread. Went to check the torques on the engine mounts and both of the bolts for the bottom were actually stripped right at the point where the nut would have needed to grab for the proper torque. I got some new bolts and nylon lock nuts at my local hardware store. Thanks for the assistance guys!
Skerby
6/29/2017 8:18am
Stripped mounting bolts will cause some serious vibrations! Glad this was an easy fix. a lot of times excessive vibration is caused by a crank that is out of true.

Post a reply to: Handlebar Vibration 2001 RM250

The Latest