HF Tire changer

Related:
Create New Tag

1/18/2020 3:06 PM

I was mainly interested in this for changing street bike tires as the fees the shops are charging keep going up I believe it's between 30 and 35 each to change a tire add that onto the expensive Street Tire I decided to explore other options.

So the girlfriend purchased the Harbor Freight tire changing stand (for autos) and motorcycle adapter for Christmas.

they were fairly cheap $60 each but I must say the first time I used it I was pretty disappointed the majority of my riding is off road and so when I tried to use it for doing a dirt bike tire the Axle rod would not fit in the axle of the dirt bike wheel!!





Any of you guys ran across this problem?

Issue number two as stated is you have to purchase the Mojo plastic blocks which are about $35 and then the Mojo arm which is $135+. All this so you don't scratch up your rim really disappointing it didn't come with it, I know it's been discussed.

So suddenly this great deal ($300+) is not looking so great after all. I'm almost tempted to take it back before I dump any more money into it. If they take it back.

I do like the idea of making my own Mojo blocks.
how did you attach them and I also saw the Mojo blocks are curved to help to keep the wheel in place. Pictures?

I thought I saw somewhere where somebody said they cut it down because the stand is too tall to get Leverage I totally agree but if you cut it down does it make the automotive side of the changer useless does it not?
I was thinking I would be able to change at least my jet ski/motorcycle trailer tires with this.

|

1/19/2020 3:19 PM

Return it, buy this.

http://www.bajanopinch.com

Been using one for years, love it, and fits in my tool box.

|

1/19/2020 7:17 PM

MXVet261 wrote:

Return it, buy this.

http://www.bajanopinch.com

Been using one for years, love it, and fits in my tool box.

That is a great tool.

Paw Paw

|

1/21/2020 5:03 AM

I 've got a hf tire changer as well. If your shorter than 5'9 it is to tall. I fixed this by taking away the legs and screwing it directly to a piece of ply wood. The mojo blocks are a must to make life easier. Take your time when installing them.
For the axel holder i just went a bought some scrap round stock that fits my hub for 10.00. As for the bar i used the hf bar but i dipped it in rubber coating for tools so it doesn't scratch anything. I only use the bar for taking it off. I always use hand irons to put the last half of the tire on.

It's a pain in the ass at first learning to work with it but once you do a 2 or 3 sets it becomes easy.

|

1/21/2020 4:07 PM

MXVet261 wrote:

Return it, buy this.

http://www.bajanopinch.com

Been using one for years, love it, and fits in my tool box.

Almost bought one.
Tyranny of distance strikes again - 50% extra in postal costs for Australia.
(Then convert it to the “South Pacific Peaso”, and it would cost A$360+

|

1/21/2020 8:16 PM

Looks like a less expensive version of the No-Mar Tire changer. I purchased one over 10 years ago when I was doing sport bike tires. Doing friends tires and mine, it paid for its self. It took some practice before I mastered it. When it comes to dirt bike tires, I still do it the old fashioned way, by hand with tire spoons. www.nomartirechanger.com

|

1/22/2020 8:55 AM

My dad has a HF changer bolted to his floor in the garage. Worked ok when i did the tires on my sportbike but honestly it never made me want to stop taking it to his dealership to have that done.

Id like to try the baja tool. It looks like the ticket.

|

1/23/2020 12:56 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/23/2020 12:57 AM

I bought a Rabaconda but haven’t had a chance to use it yet.

|

1/23/2020 10:14 AM

MXVet261 wrote:

Return it, buy this.

http://www.bajanopinch.com

Been using one for years, love it, and fits in my tool box.

I have one and love it!

|

Take it to the limit, one more time!

1/24/2020 8:22 AM

MXVet261 wrote:

Return it, buy this.

http://www.bajanopinch.com

Been using one for years, love it, and fits in my tool box.

Yes I have a friend who has that and he likes it but did you miss the part that said I want to be able to do my street bike tires?

So I would like to be able to get this Harbor Freight thing dialed-in

|

1/24/2020 6:10 PM

AgentOrange wrote:

Looks like a less expensive version of the No-Mar Tire changer. I purchased one over 10 years ago when I was doing sport bike tires. Doing friends tires and mine, it paid for its self. It took some practice before I mastered it. When it comes to dirt bike tires, I still do it the old fashioned way, by hand with tire spoons. www.nomartirechanger.com

Wow so you have the tire changer sitting there and you still use spoons and hands to do dirt bike tires including the rear?

|

1/24/2020 6:15 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/24/2020 6:17 PM

rob162 wrote:

I 've got a hf tire changer as well. If your shorter than 5'9 it is to tall. I fixed this by taking away the legs and screwing it directly to a piece of ply wood. The mojo blocks are a must to make life easier. Take your time when installing them.
For the axel holder i just went a bought some scrap round stock that fits my hub for 10.00. As for the bar i used the hf bar but i dipped it in rubber coating for tools so it doesn't scratch anything. I only use the bar for taking it off. I always use hand irons to put the last half of the tire on.

It's a pain in the ass at first learning to work with it but once you do a 2 or 3 sets it becomes easy.

Thanks Rob so removing the legs seems like it only would change about an inch.

I'm right at five 9 so that will make much of a difference?



Regarding the rubber dip on the bar do you think this would work okay for street bike wheels and where did you get the rubber dip thanks

I just change this tire my buddy had that was sitting in his garage in Arizona heat for 6 years it truly was the stiffest sidewall I've ever seen. anyway using the tire changer half-ass it was still better than the bucket technique.



I'm on the fence if I should keep it and spend the extra money on the Nomar stuff

Or
Take it back and get a more quality one that I will be able to use on my street bike wheels as well as dirt bikes.

Thanks for the replies 😎

|

1/30/2020 7:10 PM

I have one... $50 off craigslist WITH the motorcycle adapter AND the No Mar blocks. WOO HOO!

The guy bolted it to a 2"x4" square platform about 3 feet by 3 feet. I have not used it yet, but the OD of that rod is 1" I believe. I thought some steel rods in various diameters (17mm and 15 mm for some of my Kawasakis) would be handy for front wheels and 20 mm for some KX's and KDX's. Otherwise, I think the stock rod would MAYBE only work on my 2005 KX125 and KX250's.

Basically, have to have new inner rods made.

Good luck.

|

1/31/2020 1:05 AM

G-man wrote:

Thanks Rob so removing the legs seems like it only would change about an inch.

I'm right at five 9 so that will make much of a difference?



Regarding the rubber dip on the bar do you think this would work okay for street bike wheels and where did you get the rubber dip thanks

I just change this tire my buddy had that was sitting in his garage in Arizona heat for 6 years it truly was the stiffest sidewall I've ever seen. anyway using the tire changer half-ass it was still better than the bucket technique.



I'm on the fence if I should keep it and spend the extra money on the Nomar stuff

Or
Take it back and get a more quality one that I will be able to use on my street bike wheels as well as dirt bikes.

Thanks for the replies 😎

Im 5'6 and i can make it work with the legs just fine. But without is about 1.5 inch so it's worth it to me being a midget. The rubber dip would work fine you can get it at hf I believe also the stuff i had is a smooth coat with no abrasives for grip. Looks just like smooth plastic. That's what you need. I've also used duct tape before. Gorilla tape would work great if you take your time putting it on.

I have one buddy that for street tires breaks the bead then covers the rim with a hose that's split down the middle. And slides the non covered bar right around to take it off but then spoons the last half on like I do with mx tires.

If you go on criagslist you will find bars that are nicer with a plastic or rubber sleeve on them to protect the wheel for a few dollars. Someone might even sell sleeves for the HF bar probably wouldn't be more than 5.00 for one.

The mojo blocks will make it much easier it just holds the rim so much better.also if you mount it to the floor, a price of plywood or a skid it makes things a ton easier as well.

The only way i would get rid of mine is if I found a sweet deal on a pneumatic tire changer or a coats 220 like this one I picked up last spring for 250.00. I've used these 220's for years on everything at a shop i worked at. What makes it better is it is a little more adjustable and shorter. But unless it's under 400.00 not worth it.

|

1/31/2020 1:07 AM

Also heres my if unit pardon the mess i was reorganizing.

|