Grip glue or hair spray?

DuroTools
7/4/2018 8:27pm
TJ 755 wrote:
electrical tape on the bars, fill the grip with gasoline, dump it out and slide it on. add wire. Old guys will remember this one.
Its the only way!
Does it stick without wire? Never heard of this method, can't get how it sticks, does the gas make the tape sticky then evaporate and set?

I use super glue, fast and holds well without safety wire. Also you can get it super cheap, just make sure you don't use too much on the throttle side and make sure to do it fast otherwise you will have a scenario like the OP. I'll try this electrical tape method next though.
shuggs
7/5/2018 1:54am
murph783 wrote:
So what’s the procedure for putting em on with paint? Spray the bar? Inside the grip? I’ve always used glue, but they inevitably end up twisting
Spray inside grip, turn grip to get every bit covered, turn upside down and then quickly put on bars. This should take about 20 secs to do, never had a set of grips move using this and been doing it 20yrs
lumpy790
7/5/2018 7:57am
imoto34 wrote:
Cheap, clean and it works every time. They never move and I take a heat gun to remove them in a minute or two with 0...
Cheap, clean and it works every time. They never move and I take a heat gun to remove them in a minute or two with 0 clean up. Makes grip changes less then 5 minutes with no cleaners.

I used the same stuff every time. I run a few lines of it down the bar and then twist the grip as I put it...
I used the same stuff every time. I run a few lines of it down the bar and then twist the grip as I put it on.
GregDVT wrote:
I tried it with the soft gum pro taper grips and it was an absolute disaster
Have tried other brands of grip glue and paint on soft rental grips and it softened the grip material so much putting it on it ripped the grip.

I have found the best is the Renthal grip glue.

I always put safety wire at both ends and the center just in case.
lumpy790
7/5/2018 7:59am Edited Date/Time 7/5/2018 8:03am
Oh .... I also put a nickel inside each grip so the handlebar does not poke through the end

The Shop

Orange224
7/5/2018 9:00am
Orange224 wrote:
Another vote for clear spray paint but I also safety wire my grips as it has become a long time habit by now.
murph783 wrote:
So what’s the procedure for putting em on with paint? Spray the bar? Inside the grip? I’ve always used glue, but they inevitably end up twisting
As shuggs responded to the question, I do the same exact thing but add to squish the inside of grips together real quick after spraying inside of them and then place them onto the handlebars.
RickyRoss519
Fantasy
2311th
7/6/2018 10:01am
TJ 755 wrote:
electrical tape on the bars, fill the grip with gasoline, dump it out and slide it on. add wire. Old guys will remember this one.
Its the only way!
DuroTools wrote:
Does it stick without wire? Never heard of this method, can't get how it sticks, does the gas make the tape sticky then evaporate and set...
Does it stick without wire? Never heard of this method, can't get how it sticks, does the gas make the tape sticky then evaporate and set?

I use super glue, fast and holds well without safety wire. Also you can get it super cheap, just make sure you don't use too much on the throttle side and make sure to do it fast otherwise you will have a scenario like the OP. I'll try this electrical tape method next though.
Im not a scientist but that stuff works. I do 4 separate strips spaced evenly apart the length of the grip. About 2 full rotations. And its stuff everybody has on hand at all times.
ZB93
7/6/2018 10:22am
Thoroughly clean bars and throttle tube with carb/brake cleaner, spread some renthal grip glue to bars only, slide grips on and position quickly without twisting or re-adjust them once they're on, 3 safety wires on each side, let set for 12+ hours. If I had less than 12 hours to let them set I would hit the bars and inside of the grips with some carb clean, wire tie em and call it a day. Renthal kevlar tapered half waffle are all I'll run, but grips are a preference deal.
7/6/2018 6:47pm
I've tried everything over the years. For me the only thing that works every time and lasts until the grips are shot is super glue and safety wire. Just have to be quick sliding them on.
WFO
7/7/2018 7:42am
Between hair spray and paint/glue which one could you wash away with water?
tyler 13
7/7/2018 7:40pm
ODI lock on grips
piscokid
7/8/2018 5:21am Edited Date/Time 7/8/2018 5:23am
I guess I am the only guy that uses compressed air, a ball inflation needle and safety wire. Start the grip, when it gets stuck, slide the needle under the grip, pull grip up with the needle and air pressure. Motion Pro used to make a tool to do this but I can't find it on their site now. I loaned it to someone and never got it back... In a pinch, (like at the track) I use good old Aquanet. Spray the handle bars and jam them on. Safety wire and good to go.
riv187
7/9/2018 5:16am
I wipe with acetone and use plumbers PVC glue...slides on nively and allows 3-4 seconds to align then it sets up.
DuroTools
7/10/2018 11:28pm
riv187 wrote:
I wipe with acetone and use plumbers PVC glue...slides on nively and allows 3-4 seconds to align then it sets up.
Sounds like a smart idea but how does that clean up when it's time to change grips? Is there hard to get off residue?

Post a reply to: Grip glue or hair spray?

The Latest