Grip glue or hair spray?

Related:
Create New Tag

7/2/2018 5:18 PM

What do y’all use? I tried grip glue and it was a small disaster. Hairspray worked awesome. My grips didn’t slip at all at the track. (I also do 2 strips of safety wire.) Can’t really use an air compressor to slide it on with grip glue either.

|

Greg D.
2018 yz250f

7/2/2018 5:21 PM

don't like grip glue either...I like brake cleaner, hairspray is ok. Safety wire too.

|

vomiting equals disqualification.

7/2/2018 5:27 PM

No glue, just safety wire. You need to get the good stuff to get it tight enough. Usually I buy Moroso brand 0.32" wire. All the motocross branded wire I've tried is too soft and breaks before the twist is tight.

|

7/2/2018 6:31 PM

Clear spray paint.

|

7/2/2018 7:02 PM

Automotive weatherstrip adhesive by 3M.

|

7/2/2018 8:47 PM

Clear spray paint

|

7/2/2018 9:37 PM

Paint

|

Washed up moto and enduro weekend warrior.

7/3/2018 1:34 AM

As above spray paint

|

Now a member of the Orange brigade

7/3/2018 1:36 AM

No glue just safety wire. Beats trying to scrape old glue off.

|

7/3/2018 3:22 AM

Glue always sucked imo. Breaks free and takes awhile to set in my experience.

As above, spray paint. You can use clearcoat or whatever else you have, but it’s tacky, dries quick, and holds great.

|

If you're not mixing gas, you're not haulin ass.

7/3/2018 7:39 AM

electrical tape on the bars, fill the grip with gasoline, dump it out and slide it on. add wire. Old guys will remember this one.

|

7/3/2018 8:48 AM

Cheap, clean and it works every time. They never move and I take a heat gun to remove them in a minute or two with 0 clean up. Makes grip changes less then 5 minutes with no cleaners.

Photo

|

7/3/2018 9:31 AM

imoto34 wrote:

Cheap, clean and it works every time. They never move and I take a heat gun to remove them in a minute or two with 0 clean up. ...more

I used the same stuff every time. I run a few lines of it down the bar and then twist the grip as I put it on.

|

7/3/2018 10:08 AM

imoto34 wrote:

Cheap, clean and it works every time. They never move and I take a heat gun to remove them in a minute or two with 0 clean up. ...more

fourfourone wrote:

I used the same stuff every time. I run a few lines of it down the bar and then twist the grip as I put it on.

I tried it with the soft gum pro taper grips and it was an absolute disaster

|

Greg D.
2018 yz250f

7/3/2018 10:12 AM

TJ 755 wrote:

electrical tape on the bars, fill the grip with gasoline, dump it out and slide it on. add wire. Old guys will remember this ...more

Hockey tape and gasoline cool

|

7/3/2018 10:22 AM

TJ 755 wrote:

electrical tape on the bars, fill the grip with gasoline, dump it out and slide it on. add wire. Old guys will remember this ...more

Lynch wrote:

Hockey tape and gasoline cool

AKA friction tape

|

7/3/2018 10:39 AM

or you could get locks ons. A little less cushion but you never have to worry

|

7/3/2018 11:14 AM

Lock ons seem to give me arm pump. They last forever though

|

Greg D.
2018 yz250f

7/3/2018 11:17 AM

WD-40 , they slip right on, then let them sit overnight and put on the safety wire the next day. They hold just fine.

|

7/3/2018 11:50 AM

If you use glue, contact cement, or weatherstrip adhesive the key is to get the grips on, let them sit overnight, then safety wire. If you safety wire right away you push the glue away from the wire areas.

As far as heating up the Pro Taper grip glue, please wear a respirator...super glue contains cyanide compounds (like the gas chamber). Bad shit. You actually develop an allergy to it over time (ask long-time RC airplane kit builders).

|

7/3/2018 2:30 PM

|

7/3/2018 6:17 PM

RNagy052 wrote:

WD-40 , they slip right on, then let them sit overnight and put on the safety wire the next day. They hold just fine.

^^^100% WD40. The unpronounceable chemicals in the WD cause the grip to mold to the bar as it evaporates overnight.

|

7/3/2018 6:58 PM

Spray paint... last 20years

|

7/4/2018 3:11 AM

I use zip ties inserted in the grips to slide them on the bars, once the grip is in place pull the zip ties out and wire the grips on

|

7/4/2018 9:45 AM

Contact cleaner followed by safety wire.

|

7/4/2018 11:50 AM

Another vote for clear spray paint but I also safety wire my grips as it has become a long time habit by now.

|

7/4/2018 2:37 PM

GregDVT wrote:

Out of curiosity, what sort of an absolute disastrous situation happened with you?

|

7/4/2018 4:12 PM

fourfourone wrote:

GregDVT wrote:

imoto34 wrote:

Out of curiosity, what sort of an absolute disastrous situation happened with you?

I went to put the grips on the night before riding and got them half on and they stuck, since they were the gummy ones they just kept folding in on themselves. In pulling them off I glued one to my hand slighty and the other got stuck to the floor. Needless to say I was quite flustered. I’m sure it would have been hilarious to watch.

So I had to run out and get a new can of contact cleaner and new grips before I had to bartend that night just to go riding the next day.

|

Greg D.
2018 yz250f

7/4/2018 5:17 PM

That's fruity! Thanks for the laugh bro, hopefully you never disastrously fail at putting grips on a dirt bike again whistling

Wifey is still laughing over this. She does all our grips lol, never once has there been an absolute disastrous situation occur cheerful

|

7/4/2018 5:24 PM

Orange224 wrote:

Another vote for clear spray paint but I also safety wire my grips as it has become a long time habit by now.

So what’s the procedure for putting em on with paint? Spray the bar? Inside the grip? I’ve always used glue, but they inevitably end up twisting

|

RPM Performance
CT