Grease/Loctite bolts on assembly

FWYT
Edited Date/Time 4/7/2020 3:50pm
There was a cool thread about greasing bolts recently. Seemed most were in favor of a light coat on all bolts.
But I was curious where y'all stand on grease or Loctite? Let's saying you're doing this job of re-torquing motor mount bolts and hangers. https://www.vitalmx.com/videos/features/OEM-Tech-Honda-Chassis-Retorqui…

Would you Loctite or grease the threads? Would you grease the flanges of the nuts and bolts?

I'm on lockdown so I have time to go all OCD on my bikes! Thanks!
|
kb228
3/31/2020 12:14pm
I put something on every bolt. Follow the mfgs spec for loctite - dont grease or anti-sieze when there should be loctite.

I like blue loctite on my plastic bolts or skid plate bolts.

Other than that i use grease on everything else.
Tuna
3/31/2020 12:31pm
I grease any bolt contacting metal or a washer. Blue Loctite on everything unless another type is called for.
Tuna
3/31/2020 12:32pm
I do not grease any threads. I do use anti seize for certain fasteners.
sandman768
3/31/2020 4:26pm
After working on numerous vintage bikes where no one used grease on anything, I use a small dab on all bolt threads unless it’s a bolt that is common to come loose, then I use blue loctite. I don’t know if it’s right or wrong, but my bikes come apart nice & easy.

The Shop

4/1/2020 5:10am
sandman768 wrote:
After working on numerous vintage bikes where no one used grease on anything, I use a small dab on all bolt threads unless it’s a bolt...
After working on numerous vintage bikes where no one used grease on anything, I use a small dab on all bolt threads unless it’s a bolt that is common to come loose, then I use blue loctite. I don’t know if it’s right or wrong, but my bikes come apart nice & easy.
Same here!
FWYT
4/1/2020 8:26am
sandman768 wrote:
After working on numerous vintage bikes where no one used grease on anything, I use a small dab on all bolt threads unless it’s a bolt...
Same here!
Do you guys adjust your torque settings to account for the loss of friction?
Such as setting the torque wrench to 15ft.lbs. instead of 20ft.lbs. or whatever?
Or just go by feel?
Luxon MX
Fantasy
1061st
4/1/2020 11:48am
I use the same setting.
FWYT wrote:
Thank you!
Definitely don't use the same setting, you'll over-tension your bolts dramatically. In general, reduce the torque by about 40% for lubed bolts (threads and bolt head) vs dry torque values to achieve the same joint tension. We have a bolt torque calculator (spreadsheet) available for free on our website if you want to play with actual numbers:

https://luxonmx.com/resources.html
FWYT
4/1/2020 12:13pm Edited Date/Time 4/1/2020 12:14pm
Luxon MX wrote:
Definitely don't use the same setting, you'll over-tension your bolts dramatically. In general, reduce the torque by about 40% for lubed bolts (threads and bolt head)...
Definitely don't use the same setting, you'll over-tension your bolts dramatically. In general, reduce the torque by about 40% for lubed bolts (threads and bolt head) vs dry torque values to achieve the same joint tension. We have a bolt torque calculator (spreadsheet) available for free on our website if you want to play with actual numbers:

https://luxonmx.com/resources.html
DUDE! Thank you! I was literally about to send you an email to weigh in on this subject as I had seen you post something similar in another thread and couldn't remember the deets or find the thread. Thank you!!

rjg
4/5/2020 1:55pm Edited Date/Time 4/5/2020 2:00pm
A friend of mine who works GM prototype division as a mechanic says not to grease threads if you intend to apply the specified torque recommended in the manual.
A short story - he once took me out in a Corvette that they let him drive home from work for the evening. It was roughly 6 years later that the same model was offered to the public - he convinced them to let him test the intelligent cruise control for the night. I had lots of fun, he was a great driver.
Luxon MX
Fantasy
1061st
4/5/2020 4:00pm
The torque values listed in manuals are typically specified for non-lubricated fasteners. If you add a lubricant or anti-seize (typically a specialty lubricant), you need to account for the reduced friction. It varies based on what lubricant or anti-seize you're using, but a 40% torque reduction is a reasonable starting point if you don't know the properties of the lubricant.

We use Loctite C5-A anti-seize for our titanium bolts, and we supply some with our parts to ensure everyone is using the correct stuff. The data-sheet is available here:

http://tds.henkel.com/tds5/Studio/ShowPDF/C5-ACBAS-EN?pid=C5-ACBAS&form…

It references a k value (essentially friction value) of 0.27 for an unlubricated bolt and 0.16 for a bolt with anti-seize applied. That's a 40% reduction, hence the 40% reduction in applied torque for the same bolt tension.

The Permatex data sheet (https://441py33rout1ptjxn2lupv31-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/upl…) does indeed say "Reassemble parts using normal torque values.", but it also says that the anti-seize is a lubricant, so I wouldn't trust their instructions for using normal torque values. And in general, I stay away from Permatex as I've had bad luck with their threadlockers in the past. Henkel (Loctite) is my preferred brand by far.
4/5/2020 4:24pm
Luxon MX wrote:
The torque values listed in manuals are typically specified for non-lubricated fasteners. If you add a lubricant or anti-seize (typically a specialty lubricant), you need to...
The torque values listed in manuals are typically specified for non-lubricated fasteners. If you add a lubricant or anti-seize (typically a specialty lubricant), you need to account for the reduced friction. It varies based on what lubricant or anti-seize you're using, but a 40% torque reduction is a reasonable starting point if you don't know the properties of the lubricant.

We use Loctite C5-A anti-seize for our titanium bolts, and we supply some with our parts to ensure everyone is using the correct stuff. The data-sheet is available here:

http://tds.henkel.com/tds5/Studio/ShowPDF/C5-ACBAS-EN?pid=C5-ACBAS&form…

It references a k value (essentially friction value) of 0.27 for an unlubricated bolt and 0.16 for a bolt with anti-seize applied. That's a 40% reduction, hence the 40% reduction in applied torque for the same bolt tension.

The Permatex data sheet (https://441py33rout1ptjxn2lupv31-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/upl…) does indeed say "Reassemble parts using normal torque values.", but it also says that the anti-seize is a lubricant, so I wouldn't trust their instructions for using normal torque values. And in general, I stay away from Permatex as I've had bad luck with their threadlockers in the past. Henkel (Loctite) is my preferred brand by far.
Just curious on your issues with Permatex. I have been using it for quite a while with no issues. It's more readily available to me than the Henkel brand.
Luxon MX
Fantasy
1061st
4/5/2020 5:59pm
Just curious on your issues with Permatex. I have been using it for quite a while with no issues. It's more readily available to me than...
Just curious on your issues with Permatex. I have been using it for quite a while with no issues. It's more readily available to me than the Henkel brand.
I just haven't had good luck with it, the threadlocker in particular. It seems to make more of a mess than the Loctite stuff and doesn't work as well. But if it's working for you, that's all that matters!
debun
Fantasy
21st
4/5/2020 7:15pm
I'm an engineer and have designed several bolted joints and done plenty of laboratory testing. I would not deviate from anything in the manual. Not only will you see variation in the clamp load but also with lubricants (grease a vs grease b could be 40% difference right there) but you will also see variation with repeat tightening. The last company I worked for, we specified a wax top coat on 100% of our hardware. That is if you used a bolt from the hardware store you likely be off by about -50% in clamp load. Pretty scary when you think about all the aftermarket bolt kits from companies that likely have no clue how the OE fasteners perform. I'm not sure what the OEM's do but I try to design for a >4X factor of safety since you see huge variations in user serviceable joints. On some vehicles they will even have single use bolts that stretch when torqued correctly. Unless you know what the thread modifier is doing to the joint I would stick with what ever the manual says.

4/5/2020 8:08pm
debun wrote:
I'm an engineer and have designed several bolted joints and done plenty of laboratory testing. I would not deviate from anything in the manual. Not only...
I'm an engineer and have designed several bolted joints and done plenty of laboratory testing. I would not deviate from anything in the manual. Not only will you see variation in the clamp load but also with lubricants (grease a vs grease b could be 40% difference right there) but you will also see variation with repeat tightening. The last company I worked for, we specified a wax top coat on 100% of our hardware. That is if you used a bolt from the hardware store you likely be off by about -50% in clamp load. Pretty scary when you think about all the aftermarket bolt kits from companies that likely have no clue how the OE fasteners perform. I'm not sure what the OEM's do but I try to design for a >4X factor of safety since you see huge variations in user serviceable joints. On some vehicles they will even have single use bolts that stretch when torqued correctly. Unless you know what the thread modifier is doing to the joint I would stick with what ever the manual says.

Honestly I just use a very light coat of anti seize or thread lock and torque to what the manual states. Knock on wood have not had a problem yet. At the end of the day, some of the information posted is just too complicated. Maybe if you are working on the space shuttle.
debun
Fantasy
21st
4/6/2020 6:12am
debun wrote:
I'm an engineer and have designed several bolted joints and done plenty of laboratory testing. I would not deviate from anything in the manual. Not only...

Honestly I just use a very light coat of anti seize or thread lock and torque to what the manual states. Knock on wood have not...
Honestly I just use a very light coat of anti seize or thread lock and torque to what the manual states. Knock on wood have not had a problem yet. At the end of the day, some of the information posted is just too complicated. Maybe if you are working on the space shuttle.
Mostly consumer products but most recently vehicle accessories. All Ford and GM hardware has a friction modifiers, That's not the space shuttle. My point is if you have no clue whats going on, don't think you know more than the engineer and start applying lube where there wasn't. Just follow whats in the manual. I for example would not lube my fork clamp bolts.
kb228
4/6/2020 6:47am
Just want to throw this out for discussion. Putting steel bolts into aluminum uncoated will facilitate corrosion and possibly seize the bolts. When you do finally get the bolts out theres still going to be residual corrosion in the threads that will not be cut out with a tap or thread chaser. That will cause rougher thread surfaces and more friction. Because of this, whos to say that additional friction gives you the correct torque reading on your wrench but doesnt provide the clamping force as a proper clean fastener at the correct torque reading.

From what has been mentioned above, it sounds like theres an inverse relationship between the clamping force and the amount of friction on the threads. More friction = less clamping & less friction = more clamping.
debun
Fantasy
21st
4/6/2020 8:05am
kb228 wrote:
Just want to throw this out for discussion. Putting steel bolts into aluminum uncoated will facilitate corrosion and possibly seize the bolts. When you do finally...
Just want to throw this out for discussion. Putting steel bolts into aluminum uncoated will facilitate corrosion and possibly seize the bolts. When you do finally get the bolts out theres still going to be residual corrosion in the threads that will not be cut out with a tap or thread chaser. That will cause rougher thread surfaces and more friction. Because of this, whos to say that additional friction gives you the correct torque reading on your wrench but doesnt provide the clamping force as a proper clean fastener at the correct torque reading.

From what has been mentioned above, it sounds like theres an inverse relationship between the clamping force and the amount of friction on the threads. More friction = less clamping & less friction = more clamping.
That's a common miss conception and easy one to make. Steel bolts come in many kinds. Stainless, black oxide, zinc, nickel etc. In addition to plating your OE may put a top coat which is invisible to the user. What you described will happen if the incorrect fastener is specified. Not only could you have corrosion issues but galling which will occur during tightening. Trust me, if you are aware of this the engineer designing that joint is too. The very last joint I designed was in aluminum and there is zero grease or anti seize applied. All the magic was is in the top coat on the fastener which is invisible to you the user. This is why I recommend you follow whats in the manual and use OE hardware. If you use some bolt kit of ebay all bets are off. Just google "fastener top coat" and you will find more info. You can safely install steel hardware into aluminum when done right which describes most modern day vehicles.
Remember you need the right about of clamp load. It's like tire pressure, more is not always better and too low is always bad.
kb228
4/6/2020 8:15am
kb228 wrote:
Just want to throw this out for discussion. Putting steel bolts into aluminum uncoated will facilitate corrosion and possibly seize the bolts. When you do finally...

debun wrote:
That's a common miss conception and easy one to make. Steel bolts come in many kinds. Stainless, black oxide, zinc, nickel etc. In addition to plating...
That's a common miss conception and easy one to make. Steel bolts come in many kinds. Stainless, black oxide, zinc, nickel etc. In addition to plating your OE may put a top coat which is invisible to the user. What you described will happen if the incorrect fastener is specified. Not only could you have corrosion issues but galling which will occur during tightening. Trust me, if you are aware of this the engineer designing that joint is too. The very last joint I designed was in aluminum and there is zero grease or anti seize applied. All the magic was is in the top coat on the fastener which is invisible to you the user. This is why I recommend you follow whats in the manual and use OE hardware. If you use some bolt kit of ebay all bets are off. Just google "fastener top coat" and you will find more info. You can safely install steel hardware into aluminum when done right which describes most modern day vehicles.
Remember you need the right about of clamp load. It's like tire pressure, more is not always better and too low is always bad.
That makes sense. Leads me to another question, what about bolts that have been reused over and over? That coating wears off. You either need to buy an entire new set of hardware for your bike or put a coating on. Manual doesnt say replace every bolt. Axles and swingarm pivot bolts are good examples of high reuse, high levels of dirt, and high corrosion items. its more cost effective to put something on the threads than to replace them. Especially if you have a resource like one luxonmx provides where it tells you how much to reduce the torque to achieve the correct clamping force.
4/6/2020 8:25am
debun wrote:

Honestly I just use a very light coat of anti seize or thread lock and torque to what the manual states. Knock on wood have not...
debun wrote:
Mostly consumer products but most recently vehicle accessories. All Ford and GM hardware has a friction modifiers, That's not the space shuttle. My point is if...
Mostly consumer products but most recently vehicle accessories. All Ford and GM hardware has a friction modifiers, That's not the space shuttle. My point is if you have no clue whats going on, don't think you know more than the engineer and start applying lube where there wasn't. Just follow whats in the manual. I for example would not lube my fork clamp bolts.
Fork clamp bolts are very important to apply some kind of lube. Never said I knew more than an engineer. But there are various opinions either way. I'm picking one that makes sense to me.
debun
Fantasy
21st
4/6/2020 10:08am
kb228 wrote:

debun wrote:
That's a common miss conception and easy one to make. Steel bolts come in many kinds. Stainless, black oxide, zinc, nickel etc. In addition to plating...
kb228 wrote:
That makes sense. Leads me to another question, what about bolts that have been reused over and over? That coating wears off. You either need to...
That makes sense. Leads me to another question, what about bolts that have been reused over and over? That coating wears off. You either need to buy an entire new set of hardware for your bike or put a coating on. Manual doesnt say replace every bolt. Axles and swingarm pivot bolts are good examples of high reuse, high levels of dirt, and high corrosion items. its more cost effective to put something on the threads than to replace them. Especially if you have a resource like one luxonmx provides where it tells you how much to reduce the torque to achieve the correct clamping force.
Yes this does in fact occur. Without writing a thesis store bought zinc plating (mostly junk) continued to drop until about the 5th tightening losing ~50% of it's original clamp load. Greased ~13% also around the 5th time. Top coated hardware which the OEM likely uses anywhere from 0% to maybe 30% usually takes longer than 5X to settle down. If you keep using the hardware long enough you will see a second dip where I believe the zinc wears off. Almost like a break in then, wear out period. Think about lug nuts on your car someone had to thing about all this. They have huge factors of safety but maybe not large enough to account for the variation of adding grease. I have seen 40% differences in performance just between lubricants (I worked at a place where we dipped nuts in oil) . I would evaluate how critical the joint is before i deviating from the OE recommendations.
FWYT
4/7/2020 3:50pm
Love all the tech talk here! Thank you all for your input!!

Post a reply to: Grease/Loctite bolts on assembly

The Latest