Getting a f#cked fastener out of master cylinder

Related:
Create New Tag

1/2/2019 5:15 PM

Long story short let friend work on bike for about ten minutes, come back to the garage and i see him banging the torx head with a flathead and a mallet. Don't wanna trash the master cylinder so if anyone has any good ideas on how to get this out let me know. Photo

|

Unleaded tastes a little tangy. Supreme is kinda sour, and diesel tastes pretty good.

1/2/2019 5:19 PM

Tried an Easy out? If you don't mind trashing the cap, small cut off wheel to make a slot for a flat head. Could try a hand impact with a Phillip's or flat and see if it bites.

|

1/2/2019 5:19 PM

Drill the head of the bolt off. Cap will lift off of it. Use vice grips to turn the bolts out of the master cylinder.

Use an impact driver for the next one. They wont strip that way.

|

1/2/2019 5:29 PM

kb228 wrote:

Drill the head of the bolt off. Cap will lift off of it. Use vice grips to turn the bolts out of the master cylinder.

Use an impact driver for the next one. They wont strip that way.

Just got an impact driver for christmas. Gonna give it a go tomorrow thanks KB and Colin!

|

Unleaded tastes a little tangy. Supreme is kinda sour, and diesel tastes pretty good.

1/2/2019 6:23 PM

Drill the head off as mentioned. Then get yourself a Vessel #2 JIS (Japanese industrial standard) screwdriver. Preferably the Impacta version.

http://www.vessel.co.jp/english/product/screwdriver/detail/125941

Your welcome.wink

|

No brains, No headaches.

1/2/2019 7:13 PM

Try a left hand drill bit. As you drill, a lot of the time the bit will bite, and turn the screw right out.

|

1/2/2019 7:43 PM

Did what KB said, Popped the cover off and swapped to the OEM cover and screws off the practice bike for the upcoming weekend. Photo
Photo

|

1/2/2019 10:59 PM

One trick I've done is take a cutting wheel to cut a groove down the middle of the bolt head wide enough to snuggley jam in a Flathead screw driver. You'll waste the cover, but it should get the fastener out.

|

A wise man once said nothing

1/3/2019 4:55 AM

Apparently I read that too fast. You said Torx.

|

No brains, No headaches.

1/3/2019 8:17 AM

Yeti365 wrote:

One trick I've done is take a cutting wheel to cut a groove down the middle of the bolt head wide enough to snuggley jam in a Flathead screw driver. You'll waste the cover, but it should get the fastener out.

Use a Dremel and you will not destroy the cap, I use this method to

|

1/8/2019 3:43 PM

project racer wrote:

Try a left hand drill bit. As you drill, a lot of the time the bit will bite, and turn the screw right out.

I do love my set of lefty’s. Best case it grabs and pulls the bolt, worst case you drill the head off and can just pop the cap off anyway. Things are great.

|

RPM Performance
CT

1/9/2019 5:11 AM

project racer wrote:

murph783 wrote:

I do love my set of lefty’s. Best case it grabs and pulls the bolt, worst case you drill the head off and can just pop the cap off anyway. Things are great.

Definitely gonna pick up a set soon

|

1/9/2019 11:02 AM

project racer wrote:

murph783 wrote:

Rickyisms wrote:

Definitely gonna pick up a set soon

Harbor Freight has a set for under $10 I bought to keep in race trailer. They are as good of quality as the high dollar ones I have in my shop.......

|