Gas tank modification

Zesiger 112
Fantasy
1835th
6/3/2018 6:06pm Edited Date/Time 6/6/2018 5:30am
I have an Rtech tank for my yz. The Rtech tank has recessed the threads for the gas cap into the tank instead of having a neck. This gave me the idea to machine a billet flush mount gas cap like see on a carbon tank.
The modification comes in for the breather tube.
Can I drill and tap the tank and add a fitting like seen in the lower picture? Or maybe press and heat the fitting to form the plastic around it?

|
BR8ES
6/4/2018 6:13am
It would require an assload of heat and look like crap. You could drill, but tapping isn't going to work. Probably have to plastic weld and seal. More than likely ruin a pretty good tank. My opinion only, YMMV.
kb228
6/4/2018 6:36am
Why not put the breather on the cap?
BR8ES
6/4/2018 6:56am
The cap has a breather, he is looking for the clean transition like the carbon tank. I had an aluminium tank made by Febur that had the same set as the carbon tank. That vent needs to be reinforced if it is offset like the CMT tank.
YZed250
6/4/2018 1:15pm
IMS Racing would probably give you the answer. Most of the dry break tanks are fitted with a breather outside the tank cap in the form of an aluminum elbow and breather tube.

The Shop

Zesiger 112
Fantasy
1835th
6/4/2018 5:42pm
kb228 wrote:
Why not put the breather on the cap?
That may be what I do if I can't find a way to put it in the tank. Kinda like this blonix cap. I would be able to machine the cap to bolt on the stock yz breather valve. (Whatever you call that thing on the bottom of the gas cap)
Zesiger 112
Fantasy
1835th
6/4/2018 5:45pm
BR8ES wrote:
The cap has a breather, he is looking for the clean transition like the carbon tank. I had an aluminium tank made by Febur that had...
The cap has a breather, he is looking for the clean transition like the carbon tank. I had an aluminium tank made by Febur that had the same set as the carbon tank. That vent needs to be reinforced if it is offset like the CMT tank.
How do you mean reinforced? like where it cant be hit and knocked out? Could make it a T shape and put it in from the inside to help it be stable?
BR8ES
6/4/2018 5:58pm
BR8ES wrote:
The cap has a breather, he is looking for the clean transition like the carbon tank. I had an aluminium tank made by Febur that had...
How do you mean reinforced? like where it cant be hit and knocked out? Could make it a T shape and put it in from the...
How do you mean reinforced? like where it cant be hit and knocked out? Could make it a T shape and put it in from the inside to help it be stable?
Yes, the plastic isn't that strong to support the vent IMO, unless you can go in from the filler cap with a small base, then seal. Now I get what kb meant, would take away from the smooth transition though. I will say that I was worried about my aluminium tank vent and that was welded. Chances are probably slim that it would get caught, but to just poke a hole into the tank and vent just stuck there may not yield long term satisfaction. Seal All may be a product however to reinforce the vent.
Zesiger 112
Fantasy
1835th
6/4/2018 6:44pm Edited Date/Time 6/4/2018 6:53pm
How about this? Make a vent tube with a flange about 1" dia. And maybe .125" thick.
Then drill the flange.
Somehow clean the inside of tank (hasn't had gas in it for a while) Then put sealant on the top of the flange. Insert vent tube through filler and press through drilled hole. Then with a small brush through filler add more sealant to bottom of the flange. Then pull vent tube tight for period until sealant cures.
This is the same design they use to bond carbon fiber bodies onto race car chassis. The holes allow the sealant to be continuous and stronger.
Have to experiment with a test price to see what sealant sticks best
Red is sealant

BR8ES
6/4/2018 7:04pm
I think that would be decent for sure.
281moto
6/6/2018 5:30am
If you have a lathe, just make it such that there is a lip on the outside of the tank and the portion that goes into the tank is threaded. From the inside, use a nut with a fender washer to secure. Tighten down and use some loctite. Good to go.

Post a reply to: Gas tank modification

The Latest