Full waffle vs. Half waffle

Micahdogg
I can't believe I'm asking this, but has anyone measured any significant difference between the grips? Maybe full waffles do better if you get mud on them?

Its time to replace my full waffle, cheapo Scott grips on my bike and for the first time I paused and wondered if I'm missing something with the half waffles?
|
Donovan759
11/20/2017 12:59pm
Yeah, that's actually the one thing that I notice is that sticky mud comes off of the non waffle side easier...

But TBH.. it doesn't fricking matter for me cause no matter what I use, (even double sided tape w/ contact cleaner) I cant get the grips to keep from spinning around the bars..
Acidreamer
11/20/2017 1:00pm
personally ive never noticed the difference. I notice a soft compound grip vs a kevlar grip more than the waffle. Yea supposedly the full gives better grip but i think its neglegable. I think youd have to be ultra sensitive to notice
11/20/2017 2:42pm
Donovan759 wrote:
Yeah, that's actually the one thing that I notice is that sticky mud comes off of the non waffle side easier... But TBH.. it doesn't fricking...
Yeah, that's actually the one thing that I notice is that sticky mud comes off of the non waffle side easier...

But TBH.. it doesn't fricking matter for me cause no matter what I use, (even double sided tape w/ contact cleaner) I cant get the grips to keep from spinning around the bars..
Get lock on grips, you wont look back.
crc245
11/20/2017 2:57pm
Donovan759 wrote:
Yeah, that's actually the one thing that I notice is that sticky mud comes off of the non waffle side easier... But TBH.. it doesn't fricking...

Definitely need to look into this ProRide thread Cool

http://www.proride.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=45869.0

To the original topic of half vs full waffle, I wear XL gloves and have always preferred full waffles; The half or 1/3 ones seem too skinny and the pillow top style don't have enough 'grip' for feel. I used to run the old Renthal softs (call it the MC effect), but have since found A'ME full waffles and had great luck the last few years. They're durable and stick like nothing else when used with superglue. They're a pain to get off, yes, but superglued grips have never spun on me (though I wire-tie them pre-riding). The clamp ons are convenient, but just don't have the same feel, for me, unfortunately...

The Shop

NJKawi913
11/21/2017 1:03pm
I've run half waffles for year, have a couple buddies who are team full waffle. Whenever I ride their bikes it feels like i'm grabbing an eggplant.
aees
11/22/2017 2:37am
Donovan759 wrote:

Super glue, quickly put them on. Then super glue the outside against the bars to make sure no water can get it that way.
Saftey wire (2 laps), inside, middle and outside.
Turbojez
11/22/2017 2:50am
aees wrote:
Super glue, quickly put them on. Then super glue the outside against the bars to make sure no water can get it that way. Saftey wire...
Super glue, quickly put them on. Then super glue the outside against the bars to make sure no water can get it that way.
This! I use spray paint instead of super glue + wire the grips, and it works perfect.
aees
11/22/2017 5:01am
aees wrote:
Super glue, quickly put them on. Then super glue the outside against the bars to make sure no water can get it that way. Saftey wire...
Turbojez wrote:
This! I use spray paint instead of super glue + wire the grips, and it works perfect.
Key thing is to make sure water or moisture can not get in between the grip and the handlebar. So wires help, super glue around the opening also help if you dont want to super glue the complete grip.

I also used spray, clearcoat/varnish instead of paint but it takes some time to dry up
tempura
11/22/2017 6:56am
Half waffle Zeta grips, with the diamond grip.
Spray parts cleaner in the grip and push it into place, then wire them up.

Post a reply to: Full waffle vs. Half waffle

The Latest