Fuel Foam

Related:
Create New Tag

9/12/2018 8:29 PM

Any of you have experience with this stuff?

Im looking to get some, but I want to make sure it's high quality and wont deteriorate and cause fuel system issues.

Or if you have any alternative suggestions, Im all ears. I've hear of wiffle balls being used in other motorsports but Im not sure how you'd fit them into a gas tank.

|

Part of Speech: Noun

Definition: A loser, poser, lame-ass. One who talks the talk, but could never walk the walk.

One who talks shit and doesn't back it up, but rather ends up eating their shit in return. A fuckin 'tard.

Usage: Slang

9/12/2018 9:12 PM

Used some in my 08' CRF450 tank - Worked fairly well. Not sure I would trust it with anything EFI, but for the ole' carby bikes it was a net positive. I preferred the fuel cell blocks over the individual smalls, but the concept is the same.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway-Fuel-Cell-Foam-Block-14-x-4-x-6-Inch,52163.html?sku=6007050&utm_medium=CSEGoogle&utm_source=CSE&utm_campaign=CSEGOOGLE&gclid=CjwKCAjw8uLcBRACEiwAaL6MSbK20T-Xy-2gfFRHh4W9XJ99v6KD96yyMcj-WdrqExc-wrGQ3tYU7xoC0sQQAvD_BwE

http://www.ksrfoam.com/Gas_tank_foam_.php

|

9/13/2018 8:30 AM

My question would be why use it? I understand its use in circle track cars, especially ones that run methanol. I also understand its use in fighter aircraft that could get a hole shot into a fuel cell. But I just don't see the benefit in a motorcycle, what are you trying to accomplish using it; eliminate the movement of fuel or prevent a fire?

|

2018 KX450F
2005 KX250
2003 KDX 220
1984 KX 80
1982 RM 80
1980 RM 80
1977 XR 75
1969 Honda Mini 50

9/13/2018 10:47 PM

dkurtd wrote:

My question would be why use it? I understand its use in circle track cars, especially ones that run methanol. I also understand its use in fighter aircraft that could get a hole shot into a fuel cell. But I just don't see the benefit in a motorcycle, what are you trying to accomplish using it; eliminate the movement of fuel or prevent a fire?

Eliminate the movement. In particular the sloshing at 3/4 full tank.

|

Part of Speech: Noun

Definition: A loser, poser, lame-ass. One who talks the talk, but could never walk the walk.

One who talks shit and doesn't back it up, but rather ends up eating their shit in return. A fuckin 'tard.

Usage: Slang

9/14/2018 6:43 AM

I've been using it for 20 years in my roadrace bikes, the bigger the tank, the bigger the benefit. I use it in my RMZ450, it does make the bike feel lighter. In my GSXR it makes a HUGE difference, makes the 1000 feel like a 600.

I have only had a problem with it deteriate and block the fuel pump filter once when l left 10% ethanol brew in the tank for weeks.

|

Melbourne, Australia. Current rides: '11 RMZ450, '84 CR500, '06 DRZ400, '79 KX250 with 400 engine, '06 GSXR1000 full Yosh racebike.

9/18/2018 8:16 AM

I ran this stuff in my 09 kx 450 (efi) for like 4 years and never had a problem....ever. I would pull it out periodically just to check for and deterioration and or contamination and again, never had a problem.

This does make a huge difference in handling in my opinion, especially when you start to get tired and lazy.

note...I ran pump gas, rarely ran any type of race fuel.

|

9/20/2018 5:37 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/20/2018 5:38 AM

motoxer66 wrote:

I ran this stuff in my 09 kx 450 (efi) for like 4 years and never had a problem....ever. I would pull it out periodically just to check for and deterioration and or contamination and again, never had a problem.

This does make a huge difference in handling in my opinion, especially when you start to get tired and lazy.

note...I ran pump gas, rarely ran any type of race fuel.

Lack of gas sloshing around has to help for consistent handling. I would guess every factory bike has it inside the gas tank.

I have some here but can’t remember where I bought it from. Dirt track & nascar cars use it. Summit racing has it.

Photo
|