Front end bouncy. Clicker help.

Dylanyuen271
09 kx250f. Today at the track some pretty gnarly braking bumps formed and the forks did not like them. Felt like the front end was kicking back at me very hard. Orgininally comp and rebound were both 12 out. I changed them to 14 out on comp and 10 out on rebound. Did I do a good thing or a bad thing? In my head i thought it would fix it
|
Dylanyuen271
9/1/2018 5:38pm Edited Date/Time 9/1/2018 5:39pm
Should comp and rebound clicks be near each other or further from eachother? This was brothers bike we were trying to fine tune. I run 15 out comp and 16 out rebound ON MY BIKE(2013 kx250f) and it works very well. So is there any rule that like rebound should be higher than comp or anything like that?
9/1/2018 7:24pm
Should comp and rebound clicks be near each other or further from eachother? This was brothers bike we were trying to fine tune. I run 15...
Should comp and rebound clicks be near each other or further from eachother? This was brothers bike we were trying to fine tune. I run 15 out comp and 16 out rebound ON MY BIKE(2013 kx250f) and it works very well. So is there any rule that like rebound should be higher than comp or anything like that?
Clickers are entirely independent of each other.

Its possible your suspension was too soft for the rougher track, and you actually softened up the fork by going from 12 to 14 out on compression. Try going to 10 out on the compression and leave the rebound at 12. Then go from there.
Dylanyuen271
9/1/2018 7:33pm Edited Date/Time 9/1/2018 7:55pm
Should comp and rebound clicks be near each other or further from eachother? This was brothers bike we were trying to fine tune. I run 15...
Clickers are entirely independent of each other. Its possible your suspension was too soft for the rougher track, and you actually softened up the fork by...
Clickers are entirely independent of each other.

Its possible your suspension was too soft for the rougher track, and you actually softened up the fork by going from 12 to 14 out on compression. Try going to 10 out on the compression and leave the rebound at 12. Then go from there.
Forks are super stiff. I was trying to make them softer less bouncy. I could definitely tell they were not bottoming out and then getting bouncy. They were bouncy held up in the top of the stroke.

The Shop

CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
9/2/2018 3:22am
You were going in the right direction. Keep going that way until you feel it’s getting worse. Then go back to your best setting.

Is the rear sag set correct? That can effect the feel in the front.
Monk
9/2/2018 3:40pm
I might have tried going in on the compression first. I believe the forks might have been going through the stoke and staying there, hence the harsher feel...
Dylanyuen271
9/2/2018 3:44pm
You were going in the right direction. Keep going that way until you feel it’s getting worse. Then go back to your best setting. Is the...
You were going in the right direction. Keep going that way until you feel it’s getting worse. Then go back to your best setting.

Is the rear sag set correct? That can effect the feel in the front.
Yeah sags set up at 105rider
Dylanyuen271
9/2/2018 3:47pm
Monk wrote:
I might have tried going in on the compression first. I believe the forks might have been going through the stoke and staying there, hence the...
I might have tried going in on the compression first. I believe the forks might have been going through the stoke and staying there, hence the harsher feel...
If you mean packing till they were bottoming causing the harsh feel they weren't doing that. I know that's a common one but they were up in the stroke.
Monk
9/2/2018 3:53pm
Monk wrote:
I might have tried going in on the compression first. I believe the forks might have been going through the stoke and staying there, hence the...
If you mean packing till they were bottoming causing the harsh feel they weren't doing that. I know that's a common one but they were up...
If you mean packing till they were bottoming causing the harsh feel they weren't doing that. I know that's a common one but they were up in the stroke.
No, not specifically bottoming, just packing... But if you felt they weren't, and you fixed it by going softer then you found your solution...
Dylanyuen271
9/2/2018 4:49pm
Do you think the springs are correct for your weight?
Both springs are too stiff. The back is not too far off but the front feels real stiff and bouncy. Dont know whats up with that. Thinking the previous owner may have put heavier springs in the front but not the back.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
9/3/2018 10:45pm
Do you think the springs are correct for your weight?
Both springs are too stiff. The back is not too far off but the front feels real stiff and bouncy. Dont know whats up with that...
Both springs are too stiff. The back is not too far off but the front feels real stiff and bouncy. Dont know whats up with that. Thinking the previous owner may have put heavier springs in the front but not the back.
Well that’s the first problem. Until you get the correct springs it won’t ever feel correct. You can do your best with clickers but the right springs are what’s needed if you want the best comfort and performance.
Rotaholic
9/6/2018 2:13pm
Just wondering when your forks were last serviced? sounds like the inner chamber may have a leaking seal and could be low on oil or cavitating. That causes a very bouncy fork as it is really just riding on the springs. Slow the rebound and back out the compression might help
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
9/6/2018 4:43pm
Step 1: get the forks to soak up big hits first. This is all compression. Set them up so they bottom maybe once per lap.
Step 2: turn the rebound out two clicks at a time. Pay attention to your steering when under braking. When it gets difficult to steer into a corner under braking, you've gone too far (too springy/fast). Go back in two clicks or so.

This is my base setting. If I still find that the forks aren't comfy, that's when I start to consider valving & new springs.

Post a reply to: Front end bouncy. Clicker help.

The Latest