Front break upgrade YZF

YZF250 2017, front brake is way to grabby for my liking and when riding just feels so lazy compared to any other bike ive tried. whats the process of upgrading as the bikes got low hours, so everything is only just worn in. New disc? brake cable? everything is stock at the moment, 270mm wavey rotor. cheers
|
kb228
1/20/2019 7:29am
Ive read that honda master cylinders have more modulation.

You could also chamfer your brake pads
dkurtd
1/20/2019 7:55am
Might also look at different pad material, like carbon pads. They won't last as long but may give you a smoother feel then sintered pads.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
1/20/2019 8:09am
Oversized floating rotor will take some “grab” away and make it feel smoother.
Tracktor
1/20/2019 8:20am
kb228 wrote:
Ive read that honda master cylinders have more modulation.

You could also chamfer your brake pads
This. 07 & up CRF master. However on every bike we have I always push the pistons back into caliper which back bleeds the system before every ride. Trust me you will be amazed how the feel a lever changes....

The Shop

1/20/2019 11:46pm
What make would you recommend?
dwallzee
1/21/2019 11:21am
Find a 2006 YZ 250F caliper and run a Honda master cylinder with the oem brake line (which is braided by the way, just covered with rubber). You will not be disappointed. It’s probably the closest thing you’ll get to a factory brake.
dwallzee
1/21/2019 11:23am
ChrissyDMX wrote:
Get the Braking batfly semi floating matched with the setup I posted above.
1/21/2019 1:00pm
ChrissyDMX wrote:
dwallzee wrote:
Get the Braking batfly semi floating matched with the setup I posted above.
does it matter what year the honda master cylinder is? or which particular year? ive found a yzf front caliper 2006 here so i could make it work, assuming its a direct fit to my forks etc
1/21/2019 1:31pm
I’m running a 270mm rotor with Galfer HH pads and a brembo master cylinder and line from a newer KTM
1/21/2019 2:23pm
I’m running a 270mm rotor with Galfer HH pads and a brembo master cylinder and line from a newer KTM
so for this set up i dont need a new caliper? im assuming this will be cheaper alternative. Im not like crazy fast so i dont need like top top breaks but im pushing myself and struggling to stop sometimes, while locking the rear up too...
dwallzee
1/21/2019 3:12pm
The caliper bracket is the same. 06 caliper has bigger pistons. The Honda master cylinder will overpower stock caliper which has smaller pistons. To be correct you need the Honda mastercylinder which is an 11mm piston with the 06 caliper. I’m not 100% sure on what year Honda master cylinder, check the microfiche I think they have been the same for 10 plus years.
1/21/2019 3:47pm
dwallzee wrote:
The caliper bracket is the same. 06 caliper has bigger pistons. The Honda master cylinder will overpower stock caliper which has smaller pistons. To be correct...
The caliper bracket is the same. 06 caliper has bigger pistons. The Honda master cylinder will overpower stock caliper which has smaller pistons. To be correct you need the Honda mastercylinder which is an 11mm piston with the 06 caliper. I’m not 100% sure on what year Honda master cylinder, check the microfiche I think they have been the same for 10 plus years.
I have found a 06 YZF caliper, and a Master cylinder for a honda crf250R 04-13. From what i can gather that has a 11mm piston in the master cylinder. And you say ill need a crf brake line too? And obviously have to get pads for the 06 caliper. Would you use the same stock rotor?
dwallzee
1/21/2019 5:45pm
dwallzee wrote:
The caliper bracket is the same. 06 caliper has bigger pistons. The Honda master cylinder will overpower stock caliper which has smaller pistons. To be correct...
ChrissyDMX wrote:
I have found a 06 YZF caliper, and a Master cylinder for a honda crf250R 04-13. From what i can gather that has a 11mm piston...
I have found a 06 YZF caliper, and a Master cylinder for a honda crf250R 04-13. From what i can gather that has a 11mm piston in the master cylinder. And you say ill need a crf brake line too? And obviously have to get pads for the 06 caliper. Would you use the same stock rotor?
Use the stock Yamaha line, it’s braided. Honda is not. That caliper and master cylinder would be perfect. You can run it with the stock rotor, which is a 270mm.
1/21/2019 6:12pm
ChrissyDMX wrote:
so for this set up i dont need a new caliper? im assuming this will be cheaper alternative. Im not like crazy fast so i dont...
so for this set up i dont need a new caliper? im assuming this will be cheaper alternative. Im not like crazy fast so i dont need like top top breaks but im pushing myself and struggling to stop sometimes, while locking the rear up too...
No you don’t need a new caliper. I only have $140 tied up in to my front break set up and love it.
JBecker 72
1/22/2019 6:08am
I have a caliper and master off a 13 CRF450R on my YZ250. Have a braided steel line, OE Honda pads, and a Galfer 270 floating rotor. The brakes are real nice.
Mm471
1/22/2019 8:18am
Brembo master cyclinders off Ktm give a lot more progressive braking with more power
1/22/2019 10:00am
Mm471 wrote:
Brembo master cyclinders off Ktm give a lot more progressive braking with more power
Fair enough might run this route as finding a good shape caliper like that other dude recommended isn't easy.

So if I ran the ktm brake/master cylinder of a 2016, to a stock 2017 yzf 250 caliper, using the brake line I've already got should be good enough correct? And maybe get som2 galfer pads?
dwallzee
1/22/2019 10:11am
Mm471 wrote:
ChrissyDMX wrote:
Fair enough might run this route as finding a good shape caliper like that other dude recommended isn't easy. So if I ran the ktm brake/master...
Fair enough might run this route as finding a good shape caliper like that other dude recommended isn't easy.

So if I ran the ktm brake/master cylinder of a 2016, to a stock 2017 yzf 250 caliper, using the brake line I've already got should be good enough correct? And maybe get som2 galfer pads?
I’ve tried the brembo master cylinder on the stock yz caliper and 2006, not a good feel. What most don’t understand with brakes is the caliper piston size much match the master cylinder piston size, they are engineered with a specific hydraulic ratio in mind. You may slap whatever master cylinder you want to on your bike and it will feel solid but it will have no power because the ratio is off. It’s all in what you want but if you throw whatever master cylinder on your stock caliper you probably won’t notice much improvement over stock.
1/22/2019 10:50am
Mm471 wrote:
ChrissyDMX wrote:
Fair enough might run this route as finding a good shape caliper like that other dude recommended isn't easy. So if I ran the ktm brake/master...

dwallzee wrote:
I’ve tried the brembo master cylinder on the stock yz caliper and 2006, not a good feel. What most don’t understand with brakes is the caliper...
I’ve tried the brembo master cylinder on the stock yz caliper and 2006, not a good feel. What most don’t understand with brakes is the caliper piston size much match the master cylinder piston size, they are engineered with a specific hydraulic ratio in mind. You may slap whatever master cylinder you want to on your bike and it will feel solid but it will have no power because the ratio is off. It’s all in what you want but if you throw whatever master cylinder on your stock caliper you probably won’t notice much improvement over stock.
Am I okay to send you a picture of this 2006 caliper then and see if you think the condition is good? I'm a bit of a rookie in terms of bikes and buying used but I just don't want to buy it for the sake of it
dwallzee
1/22/2019 10:56am
Yes no problem I’ll take a look. I may have one I can sell you. I’ll chrck this evening.

Post a reply to: Front break upgrade YZF

The Latest