Fork spring spacer placement for a 1979 Honda CR250

I am in the process of cutting a length of PVC pipe provided by Race Tech to use as a spacer to make up the gap for the much shorter replacement Race Tech fork spring I just got for my 1979 Honda CR250. I have the length I need all figured out and will try to cut with a pipe cutter. Race Tech does not indicate whether the spacer should go on top of the spring near the fork cap or at the bottom of the spring near the dampening rod. Race Tech is closed for the weekend, but trying to get the forks done by tomorrow night.

I figure one of you guys has faced this before installing different length aftermarket springs in vintage bikes. Where do you usually put the spacer? I am leaning towards installing at the bottom of the spring since the ID of the steel washers they provide is too small to go around the nut that tightens against the bottom of the fork cap.

Thanks,
mike
|
12/1/2018 5:34pm
Many thanks.. I wonder if there is any specific rational for putting the spacer on top? With the steel washers that Race Tech gave me, I can only install the spacer on the bottom of the spring unless I let the spacer ride directly on the aluminum fork cap without a steel washer (in the case that I installer the spacer on top). I also tried the OEM steel washers/ locators in place of the washers that Race Tech sent and they will not work either with the spacer on top. I would have to find a washer with just the right ID and OD to clear the dampening rod nut.

I would think it would not make much difference in fork action or durability, just harder to fish out of the fork if you wanted to try a different length spacer.

mike
sandman768
12/1/2018 6:12pm
I just did this to my 89 cr250 forks...I read their instructions online about 10 times, but my forks have metal cones on top of the springs that go all the way up to the fork caps...I emailed them & they said in my case the spacer goes on the bottom , under the springs. I had to use a die grinder to enlarge the inner diameter of the PVC spacer to clear the damper rod nut. I have not ridden on them yet, but it feels like I did it right...nothing is easy....have you read their instructions online? You have to search for them within their site....

The Shop

12/1/2018 8:16pm
Yes I read their generic online instructions 6 or 7 times.. no mention of spacer placement. They only have 1 set of instructions for all bikes, so you and I must have read the same.
12/4/2018 5:14pm
I talked to race Tech again and they told me that the spacer should go on top to limit movement/ interference and that the space material and steel washers they sent me don't work for the CR250. They recommend going to a 3/4" PVC pipe (they supplied 1/2") which will we allow me to use the stock hardware which will fit over the nut on the dampening rod.

Post a reply to: Fork spring spacer placement for a 1979 Honda CR250

The Latest