Fork spring preload

NextGen
So I have a few question on fork spring pre load. I have a set of cone valve forks for my 19 250sx (black version) I don't know what cones are in them or what spring rate... they were shipped to me and were suppose to be valved and sprung for 170lbs.
Now my issue ive noticed is the bike is diving hard and I can basically buttom them out easier then I think a "a kit" should. my last ride was on a track that got complete destroyed and ive got my compression clicker dialed all the way up to 2 turns out (from max). I noticed today you can adjust pre load on the forks externally so I checked it and they are set at 0 preload (0 clicks).

so I guess the question is could this be causing my soft front end issue> ive read should be around the 4mm area of pre load??
|
soggy
Fantasy
3857th
2/15/2021 1:50pm
How many hours in them since last rebuild?

Adding preload compresses the spring slightly when forks are fully extended which is going to influence the front end sag
NextGen
2/15/2021 3:05pm
soggy wrote:
How many hours in them since last rebuild? Adding preload compresses the spring slightly when forks are fully extended which is going to influence the front...
How many hours in them since last rebuild?

Adding preload compresses the spring slightly when forks are fully extended which is going to influence the front end sag
At the most 10hrs and I know it really has zero pre load because when I have it in my hand you can hear the spring inside lose a but... when they were just serviced I remember saying to myself if they don't get softer it will be okay but they got softer now and they're just to soft I find now
soggy
Fantasy
3857th
2/15/2021 5:58pm
Where is your compression clicker at? Try going in a few clicks. Your post makes it sound like your clicker is all the way out.
NextGen
2/15/2021 7:54pm
soggy wrote:
Where is your compression clicker at? Try going in a few clicks. Your post makes it sound like your clicker is all the way out.
I'm 2 clicks out on compression ( all the way clockwise and 2 clicks back counterclockwise) sorry for the confusion

The Shop

soggy
Fantasy
3857th
2/16/2021 2:34am
Where is your rebound set? I really doubt it’s The preload but you could try adding some it won’t hurt
aees
2/16/2021 1:03pm
You can run 1-4 clicks of preload. Can also add oil with a syringe through bleed holes if you use all the stroke right now. Oil and preload is pretty good for tuning when you are as close as it sounds. I would back out to 10-12 click on comp, then add 20-40cc oil in each leg, then do the fine tuning with preload and clickers.

More oil gives a more firm feeling overall.
NextGen
2/16/2021 4:59pm
aees wrote:
You can run 1-4 clicks of preload. Can also add oil with a syringe through bleed holes if you use all the stroke right now. Oil...
You can run 1-4 clicks of preload. Can also add oil with a syringe through bleed holes if you use all the stroke right now. Oil and preload is pretty good for tuning when you are as close as it sounds. I would back out to 10-12 click on comp, then add 20-40cc oil in each leg, then do the fine tuning with preload and clickers.

Sticker currently says 400ml you think I should add oil I thought 400 sounded like alot?
Paw Paw 271
2/16/2021 5:58pm
aees wrote:
You can run 1-4 clicks of preload. Can also add oil with a syringe through bleed holes if you use all the stroke right now. Oil...

X2

Paw Paw
aees
2/17/2021 1:18am
aees wrote:

NextGen wrote:
Sticker currently says 400ml you think I should add oil I thought 400 sounded like alot?
420 was max on old Cone Valve fork. New Xact Pro 440 is max.

So go to 420 and go to 10 on comp. Whats your rebound at? Should be around 16. If bike is unbalanced and low in front, add 2-3 clicks of preload. Then you can fine tune last with with comp clicker.

If still to soft, you might have float on the cone (should be zero float on standard setup). Or you dont have the red cone (yellow is Enduro, Red is MX (standard), blue is firm MX/Light SX and black SX).

Even cone spring could be to soft. 25nm cone spring is standard, 50nm a bit firmer, and 75nm really stiff.

Or simply it is just valved to soft. Springs in fork has to match with rear spring of course.

Post a reply to: Fork spring preload

The Latest