Fork Spring Rates?

According to the Race Tech spring calculator, my weight calls for one spring rate softer in the forks than is stock. Is this going to be enough to notice or would I just be spending money for no real noticeable effect?
|
slipdog
8/4/2020 9:42pm
One rate change is enough to notice.
8/5/2020 6:03am
slipdog wrote:
One rate change is enough to notice.
Good to know. It's not that expensive and easy enough to change but wanted some input before I dug into new forks and spent money without knowing if it was going to really be beneficial or not for one rate. Thanks!
omalley
8/5/2020 7:01am Edited Date/Time 8/5/2020 7:02am
You might call a couple other places (FC, Enzo etc)...in my experience, Race Tech’s spring calculator is not always accurate. You might be changing springs for no reason, or going the wrong way.
8/5/2020 8:11am
omalley wrote:
You might call a couple other places (FC, Enzo etc)...in my experience, Race Tech’s spring calculator is not always accurate. You might be changing springs for...
You might call a couple other places (FC, Enzo etc)...in my experience, Race Tech’s spring calculator is not always accurate. You might be changing springs for no reason, or going the wrong way.
Good to know. I will do that!

The Shop

8/5/2020 1:06pm
omalley wrote:
You might call a couple other places (FC, Enzo etc)...in my experience, Race Tech’s spring calculator is not always accurate. You might be changing springs for...
If I am in between rates and it is the same increment up or down do you suggest I go the next rate up or down a rate?
omalley
8/5/2020 1:21pm
omalley wrote:
If I am in between rates and it is the same increment up or down do you suggest I go the next rate up or down...
If I am in between rates and it is the same increment up or down do you suggest I go the next rate up or down a rate?
One option is to buy one spring that’s above or below your stock rate by one step, and replace only one stock spring (thus the two springs together put you a half step higher (or lower). In other words, let’s say stock is a .50, and your recommended rate is a .51 but you can only get a .50 or .52...replacing one stock spring with a .52 and leaving the other as a .50 equates to your desired.51 rate.

The other would be to go up or down to the closest rate. That will require you to evaluate things...ie, if you ride mostly tracks, you might go to the heavy rate side. Trails? Maybe go with the lighter rate. Hopefully someone will chime in that has more tuning experience and can give more advice.
chump6784
8/7/2020 1:39am
I've found race tech calculator to be on the heavy side when it comes to springs. I'd check with some other shops to confirm

Post a reply to: Fork Spring Rates?

The Latest