Fork Seals?

Related:
Create New Tag

7/15/2017 1:18 PM

I noticed some oil leaking a little on my 16 YZ 450 and i noticed alot of the times a seal is just dirty. I want to start by cleaning it to see if it remedies the problem but I don't have a sealmate to clean it. Does anyone know what I can use to clean the seals without having to remove anything?

|

7/15/2017 1:22 PM

You could use a feeler gauge, but be careful not to tear the seal or push more dirt in to the seal. To be honest I would have a new set of seals on standby.

www.karlzracing.com

|

7/15/2017 1:55 PM

You can also use a tear off. A lot easier on the seal and lower slider. Make sure to drop your dust seal first.

|

7/15/2017 4:45 PM

Do you pressure wash your bikes? I use a normal seal saver and have got many to stop leaking.

|

7/15/2017 6:27 PM

imoto34 wrote:

Do you pressure wash your bikes? I use a normal seal saver and have got many to stop leaking.

Now that you brought it up yeah! I never thought of that actually, I don't have a seal saver and there isn't anywhere nearby that sells them. But now that I think of it the pressure washer could have been the problem

|

7/15/2017 8:10 PM

If you end up changing seals, make sure you check the slider really well (run your hand over it to feel for any nicks). Otherwise you'll be changing out the new seals in short order. Minor nicks can often be smoothed with very fine wet/dry sandpaper and some WD-40.

|

7/16/2017 8:28 AM

omalley wrote:

If you end up changing seals, make sure you check the slider really well (run your hand over it to feel for any nicks). Otherwise you'll be changing out the new seals in short order. Minor nicks can often be smoothed with very fine wet/dry sandpaper and some WD-40.

I run my finger up and down the tubes to feel any sharp edges. Any decent suspension shop should do this too.

I have a set of small jewelers files and find the slightly rounded one works well to get the edge burrs out.

|

7/16/2017 9:14 AM

Use film from an old camera roll to clean them

|

7/17/2017 9:49 PM

You could also cut a water bottle

|

7/18/2017 11:50 AM

If your seals are leaking and over 20 hours. Its time for new seals and bushings. Its really easy to do .

|