First time Yamaha 450(2018) owner.

Motofinne
5/17/2018 12:44am Edited Date/Time 6/29/2018 9:32am
So i'm trading in my 2017 KTM for a new 2018 Yamaha 450 next week. I never thought i would get an Yamaha after i tried the 2017 last year but man the 2018 was completely different!

Well long story short. I really, really liked the 18 YZF 450 and this will be my first ever Yamaha (except a PW80 in the 90s).

What are things i should think about when owning it? And what about parts, what parts are interchangeable with other Yamahas (things like wheels, levers etc)? Just in case i find some decent used parts.

Thanks!
|
Lynch
5/17/2018 1:01am
Might be making the same switch so following this thread Woohoo
swtwtwtw
5/17/2018 3:30am
Wheels, levers, bars, forks, shock, pegs, is about it chassis wise. Engine wise not sure. Play with the tuner app, but you will probably end up with the Preston map. I use neken sfs clamps with low Honda bend bars. I also use the DrD slipon, it broadens 2nd and 3rd gear and sounds great. I purchased tusk wheels for practice, but if I had to do it again, I would look for a stock set. Twin air filter with a dry filter skin extends air filter cleanings. Unlike ktm when changing the oil not all of it comes out on drainage. So, I measure what comes out and replace. I use motorex or motul and change every 8-10 hours. I came off a husky and this Yamaha is even easier to maintain and have had no problems so far, knock on wood.
Motofinne
5/17/2018 1:05pm
swtwtwtw wrote:
Wheels, levers, bars, forks, shock, pegs, is about it chassis wise. Engine wise not sure. Play with the tuner app, but you will probably end up...
Wheels, levers, bars, forks, shock, pegs, is about it chassis wise. Engine wise not sure. Play with the tuner app, but you will probably end up with the Preston map. I use neken sfs clamps with low Honda bend bars. I also use the DrD slipon, it broadens 2nd and 3rd gear and sounds great. I purchased tusk wheels for practice, but if I had to do it again, I would look for a stock set. Twin air filter with a dry filter skin extends air filter cleanings. Unlike ktm when changing the oil not all of it comes out on drainage. So, I measure what comes out and replace. I use motorex or motul and change every 8-10 hours. I came off a husky and this Yamaha is even easier to maintain and have had no problems so far, knock on wood.
Thanks for the answer! So the stock Yamaha wheels are good? DocWob has 2018 stock wheels for sale at eBay, i might buy a set. Then Im getting the suspension done and some bits and bobs.

Very exciting times ahead!
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
760th
5/17/2018 1:08pm
Keep an eye on the chain slider bolts, they do come loose after so long. Otherwise, do the oil, oil filter and air filter and you'll be good to guy. These bikes are so bullet proof!

The Shop

Motofinne
5/17/2018 1:26pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Keep an eye on the chain slider bolts, they do come loose after so long. Otherwise, do the oil, oil filter and air filter and you'll...
Keep an eye on the chain slider bolts, they do come loose after so long. Otherwise, do the oil, oil filter and air filter and you'll be good to guy. These bikes are so bullet proof!
Noted!
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
760th
5/17/2018 1:40pm
Oh, almost forgot. The only other issue with Yamaha is the front wheel bearings. Not all of them go bad, but some do so keep an eye on them. I never had problems with my 14, but I do know of others having them go bad on 85's all the way up to 450's.
5/17/2018 3:34pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Oh, almost forgot. The only other issue with Yamaha is the front wheel bearings. Not all of them go bad, but some do so keep an...
Oh, almost forgot. The only other issue with Yamaha is the front wheel bearings. Not all of them go bad, but some do so keep an eye on them. I never had problems with my 14, but I do know of others having them go bad on 85's all the way up to 450's.
I believe the OEM bearings are unsealed. Best to run them until you need new ones and then get an aftermarket set.
5/17/2018 3:36pm
Also another tidbit, which I doubt is useful; you can swap triples to earlier years and use other forks and wheel set ups. I guess if you found a cheap A-kit it’d be handy Laughing
RNagy052
5/17/2018 5:08pm
I have done the following changes to mine so far; Changed the bars to a set of Renthal Fat RC bend, new grips and throttle tube, and replaced the lower bar mounts with last years OEM which are 5mm lower. Raised the forks in the triple clamps 5mm, put on a Pro Circuit lowering link, and re-set sag to 110, added 1 tooth to the rear sprocket, and changed the footpegs to a set that are a little wider. Twin Air air filter.

Coming off YZ250F's('09,12, 15) for the last 9 years so I also plugged in a different map that toned down the engine hit from low to mid until I get use to it.

That is all I plan on doing for now.

Like someone else mentioned, front wheel bearings, not sure on my 18 YZ450F, but on all my previous YZ250F's replacing the front wheel bearings was on my regular maintenance schedule, typically every 4-6 months I would replace them depending on how much riding I was doing. I also kept an extra set in my spare parts box at all times because when they do go, they end up going really fast.

Motofinne
5/17/2018 11:55pm
RNagy052 wrote:
I have done the following changes to mine so far; Changed the bars to a set of Renthal Fat RC bend, new grips and throttle tube...
I have done the following changes to mine so far; Changed the bars to a set of Renthal Fat RC bend, new grips and throttle tube, and replaced the lower bar mounts with last years OEM which are 5mm lower. Raised the forks in the triple clamps 5mm, put on a Pro Circuit lowering link, and re-set sag to 110, added 1 tooth to the rear sprocket, and changed the footpegs to a set that are a little wider. Twin Air air filter.

Coming off YZ250F's('09,12, 15) for the last 9 years so I also plugged in a different map that toned down the engine hit from low to mid until I get use to it.

That is all I plan on doing for now.

Like someone else mentioned, front wheel bearings, not sure on my 18 YZ450F, but on all my previous YZ250F's replacing the front wheel bearings was on my regular maintenance schedule, typically every 4-6 months I would replace them depending on how much riding I was doing. I also kept an extra set in my spare parts box at all times because when they do go, they end up going really fast.

That is good to know, i'm going to put my Pro Taper EVO bars with the Carmichael bend on the bike but i might get the last years lower mounts if it still feels too high. So the sag is recommended at 110? The recommended sag on KTMs is 105.
DAG
5/18/2018 6:24am
Trash can the stock air filter...a ladies nylon stocking would work better....get a Twin Air and while your there get the wash cover so you dont have to worry about drowning your engine....Works Connection radiator braces are a must...clutch lever is a nice to have..I also got their axle blocks as they offer a finer resolution on the lines than the stock chain adjuster blocks...its a fun bike and hope you enjoy
RNagy052
5/18/2018 7:41am
Motofinne wrote:
That is good to know, i'm going to put my Pro Taper EVO bars with the Carmichael bend on the bike but i might get the...
That is good to know, i'm going to put my Pro Taper EVO bars with the Carmichael bend on the bike but i might get the last years lower mounts if it still feels too high. So the sag is recommended at 110? The recommended sag on KTMs is 105.
Try 105 with the stock link, I run a little more sag with a lower link, which I just put on the bike.
RNagy052
5/18/2018 7:45am
DAG wrote:
Trash can the stock air filter...a ladies nylon stocking would work better....get a Twin Air and while your there get the wash cover so you dont...
Trash can the stock air filter...a ladies nylon stocking would work better....get a Twin Air and while your there get the wash cover so you dont have to worry about drowning your engine....Works Connection radiator braces are a must...clutch lever is a nice to have..I also got their axle blocks as they offer a finer resolution on the lines than the stock chain adjuster blocks...its a fun bike and hope you enjoy
Yes, I am running the Twin Air Filter as well. Also, left one item out of my original post, but your post reminded me of it. I put on the Tusk Blue rear axle blocks with the white tick marks. I am 55 and trying to read the tick marks on the stock axle blocks when adjusting the chain was a pain in the ass. So much easier to see and adjust the chain with the aftermarket axle blocks.
fourfourone
5/18/2018 9:00am
I rode an 18 back to back with a 17. the feel isn't THAT much different just felt thinner
racer369
5/18/2018 9:55am Edited Date/Time 5/18/2018 9:56am
inner hub and pressure plate are the same but not basket. Might as well buy a new battery from Rocky Mountain for it. lost one at 4.5 hours and other bike at 9. Antigravity is the brand. LOTS more cranking amps. Iy will bump start!
mxb2
5/18/2018 10:19am
racer369 wrote:
inner hub and pressure plate are the same but not basket. Might as well buy a new battery from Rocky Mountain for it. lost one at...
inner hub and pressure plate are the same but not basket. Might as well buy a new battery from Rocky Mountain for it. lost one at 4.5 hours and other bike at 9. Antigravity is the brand. LOTS more cranking amps. Iy will bump start!
Which model battery??
Naanak
5/18/2018 11:28am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Oh, almost forgot. The only other issue with Yamaha is the front wheel bearings. Not all of them go bad, but some do so keep an...
I believe the OEM bearings are unsealed. Best to run them until you need new ones and then get an aftermarket set.
They are. I bought a used bike and they were shot so I replaced them with sealed and so far they’re good.
Motofinne
5/18/2018 1:02pm Edited Date/Time 5/18/2018 1:23pm
DAG wrote:
Trash can the stock air filter...a ladies nylon stocking would work better....get a Twin Air and while your there get the wash cover so you dont...
Yeah i have ordered 4 spare Twin Air filters. Have anyone bought the Twin Air Powerflow kit? Is it worth it?
TWag113
5/18/2018 3:05pm
I also agree on going with 105 on the stock link. I went up 5mm up with the forks, as well, and love the balance. Suspension is still stock (just clicker adjustments) and so far it has been great. I also immediately swapped the stock air filter for a twin air before even breaking it in and added radiator braces and a skid plate just for safe measures. I would recommend going with a 49T rear sprocket, but it is somewhat dependent on what/where you ride. Like it was mentioned above, the Preston map is the way to go as compared to the three stock maps that come on the map. Aside from changing bars, levers, grips, and a few other things just for personal preference and cosmetics (axle blocks, chain guide, reservoir cover, ignition cover, clutch cover, oil filter cover, full FMF system, etc.) there wasn't much needed to make the '18 great. The wheels are stock, triple clamps are stock, motor is stock, suspension is stock and the bike is great.

I am still looking to get a second battery for mine since I am still on the stock one (if anyone knows where one is in stock, I would love to know where) and a charger for them. I also will most likely be replacing the footpegs soon with something that has a little more grip/traction.
swtwtwtw
5/18/2018 5:12pm
Reads like most of us have the same experience. One of the best battery related things I did was to buy a lithium battery charger. It is the only way to get a 100% charge , plus it checks condition.
I am riding Sunrise MX tomorrow morning.
Motofinne
5/18/2018 11:51pm
Btw do you have to "warm up" the battery like on a KTM when the temperature is low?
swtwtwtw
5/19/2018 2:03am
Motofinne wrote:
Btw do you have to "warm up" the battery like on a KTM when the temperature is low?
Doesn’t say to in the manual, but I do.
Motofinne
5/19/2018 2:06am
Motofinne wrote:
swtwtwtw wrote:
Doesn’t say to in the manual, but I do.
Yeah that seems to be a thing with lithium ion batteries.
Motofinne
5/21/2018 6:38am
So i found a set of Excel/Haan wheels from a 2012 YZF 450 that are in great shape.

Unfortunately it seems like the front wheel wont fit. Can anyone explain what the difference is between the fitment of a YZF 2012 and 2018 front wheel? I wonder if i could get away with it by changing the spacers like on the KTMs?
Motofinne
5/22/2018 4:10am
I got an answer from Haan. I would be forced to change all the internals in the hub, that is something i'm not interested in doing. I'll go with brand new wheels. Does anyone have any experience with the Talon EVO wheels(Talon rims)?
moto988
5/30/2018 9:10pm
All I've done with mine is lifted the forks 5mm sag at 105. Skid plate levers faast flex bars and that's all so far. Suspension is best I've ridden just stock I'd take it over my old factory connection valving any day. Motor is amazing this bike just feels so planted and hooks up so good.
Lynch
5/30/2018 9:37pm
We (I) need a ride report Motofinne! Woohoo
Motofinne
6/2/2018 9:10am Edited Date/Time 6/3/2018 12:49am
Lynch wrote:
I love the bike, that is the short story haha... No but seriously, this is a fantastic bike.

Engine is awesome! The torque is incredible but the engine characteristic is very manageable(the powetuner app is brilliant). The suspension is really, really good. My fork is a bit stiff, that is my only complaint at the moment regarding the suspension (i have it 2 clicks slower on the rebound at the moment, stock was way too fast). The cornering is so stable, you know exactly what the bike will do when you corner. Its probably one of the easier bikes to corner while standing on the pegs. The smaller size of the bike fits me perfectly.

Like i said earlier, the only minus is the weight. I know there are idiots (yes, these people are idiots) that think weight doesn't matter but it does. Weight is weight. And cutting down my bodyweight wont change the fact that the YZF 450 is a relatively heavy bike. It is clearly heavier than my old KTM and it is noticeable. Especially if the backend kicks out on a worn down jump with a kicker. But the weight distribution on the bike and the centralization of the weight makes it a non problem when you are on the ground. You only notice it in the air. The only thing i can think of that Yamah could do with the next generation 450 is the weight, everything else is amazing.

You should get one Wink
swtwtwtw
6/2/2018 3:51pm
Suspension gets even better at +20hrs. I was told that and it’s true. Yup one fun bike.
Lynch
6/3/2018 10:44am
Lynch wrote:
Motofinne wrote:
I love the bike, that is the short story haha... No but seriously, this is a fantastic bike. Engine is awesome! The torque is incredible but...
I love the bike, that is the short story haha... No but seriously, this is a fantastic bike.

Engine is awesome! The torque is incredible but the engine characteristic is very manageable(the powetuner app is brilliant). The suspension is really, really good. My fork is a bit stiff, that is my only complaint at the moment regarding the suspension (i have it 2 clicks slower on the rebound at the moment, stock was way too fast). The cornering is so stable, you know exactly what the bike will do when you corner. Its probably one of the easier bikes to corner while standing on the pegs. The smaller size of the bike fits me perfectly.

Like i said earlier, the only minus is the weight. I know there are idiots (yes, these people are idiots) that think weight doesn't matter but it does. Weight is weight. And cutting down my bodyweight wont change the fact that the YZF 450 is a relatively heavy bike. It is clearly heavier than my old KTM and it is noticeable. Especially if the backend kicks out on a worn down jump with a kicker. But the weight distribution on the bike and the centralization of the weight makes it a non problem when you are on the ground. You only notice it in the air. The only thing i can think of that Yamah could do with the next generation 450 is the weight, everything else is amazing.

You should get one Wink
Ohhh if you knew what I picked up 2 days ago Whistling

Post a reply to: First time Yamaha 450(2018) owner.

The Latest