Fat man 2017 KTM 250 SX-F suspension setup??

Vet Rider
10/13/2017 11:40am
So I rode the new bike last weekend. The suspension was way too soft. And in reading the manual, it says its setup for a rider up to 187lbs. Well Im not "fat" per say, but I could lose some lbs. Im 260 with no gear. 6' tho. So I was on the race tech site, and with my weight it says I should be running a 5.6kg/mm rear shock and 170psi in the front fork. Sound about right??

Any others run setups like this around my weight range?? The rear spring seems like a huge jump from the 4.2 it comes with stock. Bike is a 2017 KTM 250 SX-F.

Any opinions would be appreciated.
|
Acidreamer
10/13/2017 12:17pm
I used race tech for my springs and i weigh the same as you. Only diff is i have a kx and spring forks. Basically they reccomended the hardest spring which i think was a 5.6. And the hardest springs in the forks.

My shock has never bottomed out since i switched springs. Actually my bike feels great since the switch. Stock valving as well.
Vet Rider
10/13/2017 12:22pm
Acidreamer wrote:
I used race tech for my springs and i weigh the same as you. Only diff is i have a kx and spring forks. Basically they...
I used race tech for my springs and i weigh the same as you. Only diff is i have a kx and spring forks. Basically they reccomended the hardest spring which i think was a 5.6. And the hardest springs in the forks.

My shock has never bottomed out since i switched springs. Actually my bike feels great since the switch. Stock valving as well.
This is what I was hoping to hear. The bike is fine at the moment for trails, but I was getting punished at the track last weekend. Man the front was bottoming bad. The race tech site also said to bring up the PSI in the front forks to 170psi. That makes me nervous. Im going to try it, and set the clickers to the comfort settings once the spring is installed. Dealer wants $160 to install the spring if I bring it. Otherwise they want $300 to supply the spring also total installed.
rob162
10/13/2017 12:28pm
Stop by MX tech in Bradley/ Bourbonnais straight shot south on 57 great guys and probably have it in stock or call harry from genoration mx in plainfeild also a vreat guy and can turn it around pretty quick.
Acidreamer
10/13/2017 12:34pm
Acidreamer wrote:
I used race tech for my springs and i weigh the same as you. Only diff is i have a kx and spring forks. Basically they...

Vet Rider wrote:
This is what I was hoping to hear. The bike is fine at the moment for trails, but I was getting punished at the track last...
This is what I was hoping to hear. The bike is fine at the moment for trails, but I was getting punished at the track last weekend. Man the front was bottoming bad. The race tech site also said to bring up the PSI in the front forks to 170psi. That makes me nervous. Im going to try it, and set the clickers to the comfort settings once the spring is installed. Dealer wants $160 to install the spring if I bring it. Otherwise they want $300 to supply the spring also total installed.
Springs are really easy to change. I wouldnt spend $300 for it. As far as the forks go, you may want to consider a revalve along with the springs. My bike is great now but i do bottom the forks every so often and i dont consider myself a winning c rider by any means. My clickers are 4 away from all the way in on the compression too. Wall jumps and bigger tables are still somewhat sketchy to send. Flat landing on the wall jump is still somewhat painful. Once i get faster i know im going to need something done.

The Shop

ben5020
10/13/2017 12:39pm Edited Date/Time 10/13/2017 12:40pm
The rear spring is a very easy swap, leave it in the bike, take off the lower bolts of te linkage and loosen the spring app the way so you can push it up and release the ring on the bottom of the shock, the spring will drop right out.
Vet Rider
10/13/2017 12:45pm
ben5020 wrote:
The rear spring is a very easy swap, leave it in the bike, take off the lower bolts of te linkage and loosen the spring app...
The rear spring is a very easy swap, leave it in the bike, take off the lower bolts of te linkage and loosen the spring app the way so you can push it up and release the ring on the bottom of the shock, the spring will drop right out.
Thats awesome. I will have to try that. The manual says to remove the swingarm. Yeah didnt want to do that. Thanks for the tip. Im going to order my spring soon. I'd like to get in one more ride before it gets too cold here in IL.
captmoto
10/13/2017 3:05pm Edited Date/Time 10/13/2017 3:05pm
My FC450 was revalved by Racetech and I am running less air pressure than was recommended. I'm a little bigger than you. Just keep in mind that 2 psi is equal to on spring rate. Start at 17 and if you don't like it start going down 2 psi at a time until you like it.

Post a reply to: Fat man 2017 KTM 250 SX-F suspension setup??

The Latest