FMF support on mapping... wow that was useless.

mark_swart
I have to gripe a little bit here. I dropped $400-ish on an FMF 4.1 slip on for my '17 YZ 250F, and honestly I'm not impressed with the performance change. I haven't remapped the bike, so I wanted to check with FMF to see if maybe they have some recommended settings to go with that muffler.

The guy I talked to on the phone told me to "disconnect my battery overnight, then plug it back in the next day and the mapping will reset to stock." Yeah, no, not on a YZ 250F. Then I asked him to check with someone else, and when he came back he referred me to Dynojet (?!?) to get mapping settings? I called, was on hold, and honestly it makes no sense to me anyway why I would have to call a third part for settings for an FMF product so I hung up. My bike is all stock except for this muffler.

What I wanted from the FMF was to trade a little of the low end for more mid-top. I keep hearing reference to all of these maps on the Yamaha website but I can't seem to find anything. Can someone out there help get me going in the right direction? This is my first mappable bike.
|
kb228
7/27/2018 11:12am
Your main problem here is calling an exhaust company for ecu maps. Give tokyo mods a call. Their forte is ecu mapping.
mark_swart
7/27/2018 11:17am
The two things interact. I've read somewhere that they design the exhaust around the stock maps in the Yamaha, but I would expect that someone who works there could at least confirm this for me. I wasn't asking them for maps so much as I wanted to see what map they designed the system for.

The Shop

mark_swart
7/31/2018 4:16pm
So, an update on this. I borrowed a tuner and there was all sorts of weird stuff in there, definitely not the stock 0 mapping. They were clearly trying to get the most bottom out of it, which was okay in the winter but not so great now. I went with MXA recommendations and now it has a what I would describe as a lot more 'body' to the power. I never rode the bike with the stock map and exhaust so I can't really attest to the differences of the slip on, but overall I'm happy with what it is doing now. Thanks for the input everyone.
mark_swart
7/31/2018 4:17pm
FYI a slip on won’t do much for performance.
Any recommendations for the 17 YZ 250f? Buy the other half of the exhaust, or something else?
fourfourone
8/1/2018 4:40am
ive owned a few 250fs and my buddies 16 yz250f has the best bottom end of them all by far.

Doing a full exhaust plus a tune for it would be the best option to see more power.

my yz450f came with a full fmf exhaust but i have the bike tuned on a linear map. Bikes already fast enough stock.
ZB93
8/1/2018 8:04am
FYI a slip on won’t do much for performance.
mark_swart wrote:
Any recommendations for the 17 YZ 250f? Buy the other half of the exhaust, or something else?
Pour in some VP Race Fuel and remap, I have a 17 YZ250 and there's a noticeable gain over pump gas, especially when you can tune for it. Good, Better, Best = T4/VPR, U4.4, MR12. "kb228" was spot on, Toyko Mods will remap the stock ECU for a specific VP fuel and exhaust. I'm still messing with the GYTR tuner, but considering a Vortex ignition.
Naanak
8/1/2018 12:53pm
Keefer said in his Yz250f review that pipes on these bikes do very little because the stock offers great performance.
ZB93
8/2/2018 2:14pm
The Yoshi on my 17 YZ250F definitely moved some juice up to and helped over-rev. Smoothed out the bottom a bit. The stock pipe is solid and I've heard a lot of Novice/Vet riders prefer it.

Post a reply to: FMF support on mapping... wow that was useless.

The Latest