Extracting stripped hanger pin?

Rockinar

Starting to put my 96 CR back together.

Rear brake caliper hanger pin head (pin that holds the pads) is stripped and I suspect the threads are probably crusty too and its not going to come out easy. Any ideas on a plan of attack before I make things worse?

|
omalley
7/27/2017 7:45pm
If you can get ahold of the pin portion with vise grips you might be able to crack it loose.

I would also get the fluid out, then heat the area around the head with a torch or heat gun. The cast aluminum should expand and allow you to turn the pin.
sandman768
7/28/2017 4:59am
I have battled a few of these on my older bikes....soak in pb blaster over nite.....heat up the caliper area, good idea to drain brake fluid as suggested previously ....get best fitting Allen socket & loosen/tighten until can be removed...I have had to drill out the heads on a few, very small bit start in very center of pin, work your way up to larger bit just to remove head of pin, but not damaging threads.....if only anti seize was used on the pin threads on the last service....be patient it will come out....
Paw Paw
7/28/2017 9:23am
sandman768 wrote:
I have battled a few of these on my older bikes....soak in pb blaster over nite.....heat up the caliper area, good idea to drain brake fluid...
I have battled a few of these on my older bikes....soak in pb blaster over nite.....heat up the caliper area, good idea to drain brake fluid as suggested previously ....get best fitting Allen socket & loosen/tighten until can be removed...I have had to drill out the heads on a few, very small bit start in very center of pin, work your way up to larger bit just to remove head of pin, but not damaging threads.....if only anti seize was used on the pin threads on the last service....be patient it will come out....
X2

Paw Paw

Post a reply to: Extracting stripped hanger pin?

The Latest