Explain a Slipper Clutch -

Superdave19
1/21/2018 5:25pm
Does this lessen engine braking?? -I need a clutch for my 17’ CRF. Thought about a Recluse EXP, (which is NoT a slipper) but I rarely have issues w/ stalling. I’d like to reduce engine braking if possible. Heard mixed reviews on true slippers..

Any feed back?
|
Acidreamer
1/22/2018 1:26am
Only slipper clutch ive ridden was a kawasaki z900(its a naked sportbike). Basically it was a lot easier to take off from a stop without stalling. My best explanation is its a middleground between a normal clutch and a full auto clutch. It did not get rid of engine braking. Personally i didnt mind the slipper clutch. Im indifferent to it.

I have a rekluse auto clutch on my kx450. It gets rid of most of the engine braking but not all. I believe it can be configured to get rid of the engine braking though. I wouldnt buy this clutch(rekluse z start pro). It feels weird and going from acceleration to braking and downshifting feels really weird. I fully plan on going back to a normal clutch.
Tracktor
1/22/2018 10:21am
I ran Rekluse EXP on a couple bikes and loved them once I got used to it. You can adjust both the hit & engine breaking. Once properly adjusted I could ride and rarely even touch the clutch lever. May need to get another for the new bike.......
swatdoc
1/27/2018 4:58pm Edited Date/Time 1/27/2018 4:59pm
a Rekluse is NOT a "slipper clutch". A slipper clutch is used mainly on road and supermoto bikes - it smooths and limits the engine braking effect - basically eliminating wheel hop/chatter when downshifting and slowing when you're entering a corner. Hinson calls their slipper clutches BTL - Back Torque Limiting. Totally opposite of what a Rekluse does. A rekluse is an auto clutch - engages and disengages automatically

Think of it this way - a Rekluse slips when you accelerate, and a slipper clutch slips when you deccelerate

The Shop

1/28/2018 9:18pm
A slipper clutch basically allows the clutch to slip when you back off, less engine braking gives less rear wheel hop on deceleration on a road bike; can't see it being much value on a dirtbike.

With a slipper clutch your fibre plates will wear quicker, because the the plates are slipping against each other every time you back off.

Post a reply to: Explain a Slipper Clutch -

The Latest