Drowned bike

I have a 2016 KX450f that was completely submerged (I'm an idiot) when it had 4 hours on it. I got as much water out as I could and I had to ride it home which was about 15-20 min. I then did repeated oil changes until the oil came out with no water and cleaned it all up. Since then I've ridden it with no issues.
Fast forward to now and I have 10 hours on it and checked the valves. All 4 were outside spec on the tight side by about 2 hundredths. I've had them shimmed, but what other problems am I looking at? If the valves are shot would they be more out of spec than that? Should I be tearing it apart and having a look? The dealership advised to ride it a couple more hours and check the valves again but I'm paranoid about a catastrophic failure. Any advise?
|
omalley
9/24/2017 7:56pm
I have seen brand new four-strokes with valves out of spec so it’s not necessarily a sign of damage from the water. That said, if I ever drowned a bike I would be doing a complete tear down to assess damage.
Acidreamer
9/25/2017 2:17am
Valves can tighten up by 10 hours. A bike i just had in my shop had 12 hours on it and the intakes were .02mm tighter than spec. Just adjust them.

Now, water damage can rust out your bearings and crank. Thats where youre gonna see your motor blow up. The oil will probably mitigate this but id still do a top end and take a peek at your crank just in case. 10 hours its about time to do that anyways.
BobPA
9/25/2017 6:44am
Acidreamer wrote:
Valves can tighten up by 10 hours. A bike i just had in my shop had 12 hours on it and the intakes were .02mm tighter...
Valves can tighten up by 10 hours. A bike i just had in my shop had 12 hours on it and the intakes were .02mm tighter than spec. Just adjust them.

Now, water damage can rust out your bearings and crank. Thats where youre gonna see your motor blow up. The oil will probably mitigate this but id still do a top end and take a peek at your crank just in case. 10 hours its about time to do that anyways.
You know that 0.02mm is less than 0.001" right? Stop spewing your BS that a 450 needs a top end at 10 hours, it is just not remotely true.

I've done a bunch of work of submerged jet skis. As long as you get the contaminated oil and moisture out they have always been fine. Change the oil so it is no longer milky and run it. When you shimmed the valves did you check the cam journals for scoring? If they were not harmed by the water contaminated oil then you are most likely fine. A small drop of water can make engine oil look like shit...it does not take much. Run it for a while and pull the valve cover to check everything. The valves being out of spec had nothing to do with water injestion...
Acidreamer
9/25/2017 7:38am
Acidreamer wrote:
Valves can tighten up by 10 hours. A bike i just had in my shop had 12 hours on it and the intakes were .02mm tighter...

BobPA wrote:
You know that 0.02mm is less than 0.001" right? Stop spewing your BS that a 450 needs a top end at 10 hours, it is just...
You know that 0.02mm is less than 0.001" right? Stop spewing your BS that a 450 needs a top end at 10 hours, it is just not remotely true.

I've done a bunch of work of submerged jet skis. As long as you get the contaminated oil and moisture out they have always been fine. Change the oil so it is no longer milky and run it. When you shimmed the valves did you check the cam journals for scoring? If they were not harmed by the water contaminated oil then you are most likely fine. A small drop of water can make engine oil look like shit...it does not take much. Run it for a while and pull the valve cover to check everything. The valves being out of spec had nothing to do with water injestion...
Meant .02”. No need to be an asshole dude.

The Shop

BobPA
9/25/2017 8:01am
Acidreamer wrote:

BobPA wrote:
You know that 0.02mm is less than 0.001" right? Stop spewing your BS that a 450 needs a top end at 10 hours, it is just...

Acidreamer wrote:
0.02" is a massive amount for a valve clearance Whistling
Acidreamer
9/25/2017 8:18am
BobPA wrote:

Acidreamer wrote:
BobPA wrote:
0.02" is a massive amount for a valve clearance Whistling
He said they were tight by 2 hundreths. No units. My kx450s intakes were tight by .03mm and it caused it to take 6+ kicks to start instead of 1. This was after 10-15 hours of ride time. in my experience thats normal wear. Id still be concerned about rust forming either way in this guys case. And yes i know the oil is going to help with that.
9/25/2017 11:15am
Thanks for the info guys. I actually had a shop adjust them because my garage hasn't been built yet so I don't have a suitable space. My riding season is close to being over so I guess I'll take it apart and check things.
I'm hoping to avoid rust because after all the oil changes to get the water out I changed the oil filter, rode it and then changed everything again.
Squirtlege
9/25/2017 12:32pm Edited Date/Time 9/25/2017 12:34pm
A friend sank his RMZ 450 in brackish water a few weeks ago in the trails... fired it back up, and rode it a mile back to the truck. We drained the fluids, hit inside the cylinder with some spray shit, changed all the filters, electrical greased all connections .. good to go. Did a heat cycle and changed oil again, the bike hasn't missed a beat since.

Edit: I see your question was more about the valve spec, I apologize. But FWIW as previously mentioned, water has nothing to do with valve spec
9/25/2017 6:33pm
My question was more to do with whether potentially dirty water would prematurely wear the valves.

Post a reply to: Drowned bike

The Latest