Droopy YZ250 IMS pegs

FWYT
Edited Date/Time 12/7/2021 11:17am
I got a set of the IMS lowering pegs for my '03 YZ250. However, upon installation, they appear
to be rather droopy. Looking down into the peg mount area, you can see where Yamaha has an extra
bit of material where the stock peg contacts it limiting how far out it will fold.

The design of the IMS pegs seems that it work perfectly if that piece of material extended the full width of the peg bracket. However, on my bike, that piece of frame material only extends half way across the peg bracket. Is my YZ250 unusual in that regard?

Am I off base or otherwise high on VP-110 in my observation? And yes, the stockers were level when I pulled them off.

|
murph783
11/29/2021 9:28am
If I recall my peg mounts got super sloppy on mine. Granted that was an aluminum frame though.
JMCR250
11/29/2021 2:09pm
Yeah, that's no good. Take it to your local welder to have him add some more material where the peg rests against the frame. Kind of a common issue on older, steel-framed vintage bikes.

Nice looking pegs though.
b_kowalsk
11/30/2021 7:01am
I had the same issue when using their lowering pegs. The tab on your factory pegs places the spring at the bottom with the tab on the top side. You can add a little weld to make them work.
FWYT
12/1/2021 9:30pm
b_kowalsk wrote:
I had the same issue when using their lowering pegs. The tab on your factory pegs places the spring at the bottom with the tab on...
I had the same issue when using their lowering pegs. The tab on your factory pegs places the spring at the bottom with the tab on the top side. You can add a little weld to make them work.
Thank you! I was looking for someone that has used the same peg and application and I was wondering if I was out of my mind or what.

So it appears to be a design fault. Strange that it has not been addressed by IMS yet.

The Shop

Sandusky26
12/2/2021 1:19am
Just for shits and giggles, have you tried switching them to see if you somehow got mixed up on install.

I had the IMS lowering pegs on my 05 YZ250 and didn’t have any issues.
Gary Duck
12/2/2021 10:15am
Sandusky26 wrote:
Just for shits and giggles, have you tried switching them to see if you somehow got mixed up on install. I had the IMS lowering pegs...
Just for shits and giggles, have you tried switching them to see if you somehow got mixed up on install.

Haha, I'm interested in seeing how this post ages.
FWYT
12/2/2021 10:34am
Sandusky26 wrote:
Just for shits and giggles, have you tried switching them to see if you somehow got mixed up on install. I had the IMS lowering pegs...

Another end user- thank you! Hmmmm, I wonder if this is just unique to the steel frames?

And yes, they are installed properly. It is impossible to flop left to right and right to left.
Sandusky26
12/2/2021 12:01pm
Sandusky26 wrote:

Gary Duck wrote:
Haha, I'm interested in seeing how this post ages.
Fuck
Sandusky26
12/2/2021 12:03pm
Sandusky26 wrote:

FWYT wrote:
Another end user- thank you! Hmmmm, I wonder if this is just unique to the steel frames? And yes, they are installed properly. It is impossible...
Another end user- thank you! Hmmmm, I wonder if this is just unique to the steel frames?

And yes, they are installed properly. It is impossible to flop left to right and right to left.
You could swap them left to right if you wanted to ride the bike upside down.
FWYT
12/6/2021 12:00pm
So I got hold of IMS and they were well aware of the issue. Apparently around '02 or '03, Yamaha had changed that landing area of the frame to go only half way across resulting in the peg drooping. They had changed the application a while ago but somewhere along the line, mine were mislabled, mis-data based, mis-SKU'd or whatever. Since they don't have this peg to properly fit my frame, I'll just add some weld to the peg tab and fix it.

So just a heads up if you order these pegs for your bike- not all databases are correct.
Skerby
12/7/2021 11:17am
The aluminum yzs have no thickness change across that area, it's a bracket that bolts into the frame.

Post a reply to: Droopy YZ250 IMS pegs

The Latest