Does race gas go bad in 6 months?

Related:
Create New Tag

2/20/2019 3:14 PM

Hey guys, I searched the site and surprisingly couldn't find this question asked, although I'm sure it has been at some point.

I have a can of race gas I bought in late August last year. I used a little bit but then got hurt and it's been sitting in my garage since then in the standard metal 5 gal cans they sell race gas in that have the plastic pull out lid. I know race gas doesn't have the ethanol issue that pump gas does, but if it sits for that long will it absorb moisture or have any other issues that will cause me problems. I bought this gas for my modded 125, but if using it in that bike is sketchy now would I be safe to just mix it 50/50 with pump gas and use it in my 250F? I'm finally about to ride again and didn't want to waste an expensive can of gas if I don't have to.

Thanks.

|

2/20/2019 3:30 PM

thesag wrote:

Hey guys, I searched the site and surprisingly couldn't find this question asked, although I'm sure it has been at some point.

I have a can of race gas I bought in late August last year. I used a little bit but then got hurt and it's been sitting in my garage since then in the standard metal 5 gal cans they sell race gas in that have the plastic pull out lid. I know race gas doesn't have the ethanol issue that pump gas does, but if it sits for that long will it absorb moisture or have any other issues that will cause me problems. I bought this gas for my modded 125, but if using it in that bike is sketchy now would I be safe to just mix it 50/50 with pump gas and use it in my 250F? I'm finally about to ride again and didn't want to waste an expensive can of gas if I don't have to.

Thanks.

You shd be good. Any doubts. Use fresh fuel, $100 wasted is better than ruining your bike. Also call the fuel company and ask them. Websites have good info. What fuel you talking about, more details. If you can afford a modded motor, you can afford fresh fuel.

|

2/20/2019 3:32 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/20/2019 4:05 PM

Provided it was in the metal can with the lid on snug and not on the concrete floor I wouldn't have any problem using it.

I'm sure you will have 25 other people say don't use it and another 25 say it is fine. If you want a professional opinion call the fuel manufacturer.

https://vpracingfuels.com/about-us/faq/

|

2018 KX450F
2005 KX250
2003 KDX 220
1984 KX 80
1982 RM 80
1980 RM 80
1977 XR 75
1969 Honda Mini 50

2/20/2019 3:56 PM

thesag wrote:

Thanks.

" I know race gas doesn't have the ethanol issue that pump gas does,"

How do you know that?

|

2/20/2019 4:04 PM

Well I didn’t think race gas had ethanol in it but I could be wrong on that. The gas is Renegade.

Yea...I’ll just buy a new can of C12 for the 125 and run this stuff mixed with some pump gas in my generator.

Just glad to get back on the bike finally. Thanks for the feedback.

|

2/20/2019 4:15 PM

It'll be fine, ive ran gas alot older alot. Only issue would be in a case where the can heats/cool and it causes condensation but that would be very little if any and will sink and lay in last few ounces

|

2/20/2019 7:28 PM

In a can off the concrete floor you will be fine..
in a plastic jug no

And race gas will tell you if it has ethanol or not.. so depending on what you have purchased you should know if it has the dreaded ethanol or not..

Go and burn the gas I would

|

2/20/2019 8:16 PM

thesag wrote:

Well I didn’t think race gas had ethanol in it but I could be wrong on that. The gas is Renegade.

Yea...I’ll just buy a new can of C12 for the 125 and run this stuff mixed with some pump gas in my generator.

Better safe than sorry. What renegade?

|

2/20/2019 9:55 PM

thesag wrote:

Several race gas blends have ethanol, and the ones that don't have either lead or mtbe.

vp ms109e has ethanol and ms109 does not.

|

2/21/2019 5:22 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/21/2019 5:35 AM

The VP MR fuels don't have a long shelf life. I called VP with the same question. I typically use VP110 and keep it around for quite a while. Just don't store it in your fill jug.

|

2012 CRF250R
2012 CRF450R
2017 CRF450R

3/30/2019 4:14 AM

What is the deal with keeping race gas on concrete for an extended amount of time? First I have read this.

Maybe I am not as smart as I think I am.... LOL

|

A big thanks goes out to Donnie at Morgantown Powersports and RJ at Beaver Creek Cycles

3/30/2019 3:26 PM

Whymee wrote:

What is the deal with keeping race gas on concrete for an extended amount of time? First I have read this.

Maybe I am not as smart as I think I am.... LOL

In high humidity areas the concrete can increase the level of condensation inside the can. If you're in a low humidity area it's not an issue. I could probably leave mine inside a concrete bunker and there would be no condensation- but it's about as dry as a popcorn fart most of the time.

|