Does coolant break down?

ktm-5
10/3/2017 3:25am
I use engine ice and wondered does it break down and how often should it be changed? I usually replace it every year racing mx
|
Acidreamer
10/3/2017 5:50am
Annual change is pretty normal. I was taught that you change it for contamination reasons. Not breakdown reasons. I put new coolant in when i do top ends or anything that requires me to drain it like a waterpump rebuold for example. Its inexpensive so why not.
NJKawi913
10/3/2017 6:22am
Acidreamer wrote:
Annual change is pretty normal. I was taught that you change it for contamination reasons. Not breakdown reasons. I put new coolant in when i do...
Annual change is pretty normal. I was taught that you change it for contamination reasons. Not breakdown reasons. I put new coolant in when i do top ends or anything that requires me to drain it like a waterpump rebuold for example. Its inexpensive so why not.
i second that. Its not a issue of breakdown, but contamination. I also would flush it once or twice before filling it. Its another easy measure that helps insure any deposits left in the cooloing system are gone.
10/3/2017 9:01am
The fluid itself does not break-down in the same way engine and transmission oil does, but the additives do "wear out". The corrosion inhibitors and whatnot have a finite lifetime and once they are used up, they don't work anymore.
ktm-5
10/3/2017 11:42am
OK thanks guys that's what I was thinking also but wanted to double check

The Shop

imoto34
Fantasy
3151st
10/3/2017 1:49pm
Acidreamer wrote:
Annual change is pretty normal. I was taught that you change it for contamination reasons. Not breakdown reasons. I put new coolant in when i do...
You do top ends every 10 hours. I usually manage to get that in each week. No way should you need to change your coolant 52 times a year.
ktm-5
10/3/2017 2:02pm
Topends every 10 hrs? That must be for a 1 ringer 2 stroke? Ktm calls for a new top end every 50 hrs on the 250sxf
Squidward
10/3/2017 5:32pm
I was told to do top ends on my 02 cr125 every 7-10 hours...Laughing No way thats gonna happen
Acidreamer
10/4/2017 6:13am
Acidreamer wrote:
imoto34 wrote:
You do top ends every 10 hours. I usually manage to get that in each week. No way should you need to change your coolant 52...
You do top ends every 10 hours. I usually manage to get that in each week. No way should you need to change your coolant 52 times a year.
I said yearly is normal. Clearly you cant read. When coolant becomes a financial burden to me then ill think twice about reusing it. Till then an extra $5 when i do a top end is chump change.
mxracer816
Fantasy
2838th
10/4/2017 6:59am
Acidreamer wrote:
I said yearly is normal. Clearly you cant read. When coolant becomes a financial burden to me then ill think twice about reusing it. Till then...
I said yearly is normal. Clearly you cant read. When coolant becomes a financial burden to me then ill think twice about reusing it. Till then an extra $5 when i do a top end is chump change.
Where do you get your engine ice? Around here it's 20 bucks for less than a half gallon. Takes more than one to fill any one of my bikes. That would get expensive for me. I reuse and change once a year if I remember!
lumpy790
10/4/2017 7:17am
Acidreamer wrote:
I said yearly is normal. Clearly you cant read. When coolant becomes a financial burden to me then ill think twice about reusing it. Till then...
mxracer816 wrote:
Where do you get your engine ice? Around here it's 20 bucks for less than a half gallon. Takes more than one to fill any one...
Where do you get your engine ice? Around here it's 20 bucks for less than a half gallon. Takes more than one to fill any one of my bikes. That would get expensive for me. I reuse and change once a year if I remember!
On what exact bike and Where are you using an entire bottle?

I get 2 big bikes out of a bottle at Loretta Lynns.
BobPA
10/4/2017 9:27am
Acidreamer wrote:
mxracer816 wrote:
Where do you get your engine ice? Around here it's 20 bucks for less than a half gallon. Takes more than one to fill any one...
lumpy790 wrote:

As opposed to getting only one bike at every other track?
mxracer816
Fantasy
2838th
10/4/2017 10:22am
lumpy790 wrote:

My bad lumpy, I misspoke. I know we can't get two 08 and 10 CRF out of one bottle. There's a small amount left I'd guess a little less than half after filling one. Still gotta budget a jug per bike IMO. Like I said I do mine on my yearly tear down, if I put enough hours on the bike to warrant it. And always use Engine Ice, wasn't a knock on your product in any way. Just saying it was kind of wasteful to not reuse it. I'd guess the shelf life on that stuff is several years anyway. I'm a cheapo though!
lumpy790
10/4/2017 1:58pm Edited Date/Time 10/4/2017 1:58pm
lumpy790 wrote:

mxracer816 wrote:
My bad lumpy, I misspoke. I know we can't get two 08 and 10 CRF out of one bottle. There's a small amount left I'd guess...
My bad lumpy, I misspoke. I know we can't get two 08 and 10 CRF out of one bottle. There's a small amount left I'd guess a little less than half after filling one. Still gotta budget a jug per bike IMO. Like I said I do mine on my yearly tear down, if I put enough hours on the bike to warrant it. And always use Engine Ice, wasn't a knock on your product in any way. Just saying it was kind of wasteful to not reuse it. I'd guess the shelf life on that stuff is several years anyway. I'm a cheapo though!
I knew we were just discussing it.

I believed so much in using Engine Ice for my own personal bikes that after EI pulled out of Lorettas I moved the vending spot to the EI vending area by the swimming pool and was also the EI representative and literally used so much of it at the MC race that I had to drive down to the WPS warehouse in Memphis to get another supply of EI for the ATV national. I also used EI at the Mini O's. Those were the only 2 big racesI did that with. My Box van always has cases of EI and have given it to other big riders for Dave.

I liked when I got the EI 5 gallon pail because I got tired of throwing away all the empty bottles and boxes... LOL

Post a reply to: Does coolant break down?

The Latest