Does 450 4speed transmission fit in Yz 250 ?

Related:
Create New Tag

1/14/2019 12:39 AM

Is this possible to do

|

1/14/2019 5:03 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/14/2019 5:04 AM

mosslander 1 wrote:

Is this possible to do

Possible? Probably.
I don't see a reason, why it should, definitely not a direct fit. 450 motor and tranny is different than YZ.
Just remove 1st gear from YZ250 transmission.
Out of curiosity: What's the point?

|

1/14/2019 8:05 AM

mosslander 1 wrote:

Is this possible to do

Turbojez wrote:

Possible? Probably.
I don't see a reason, why it should, definitely not a direct fit. 450 motor and tranny is different than YZ.
Just remove 1st gear from YZ250 transmission.
Out of curiosity: What's the point?

Putting esr 325 kit on and with more torch the greater gearwith for stronger gearbox will minimize failure and less shifting , I understand it must include drumselector and selectorforks in the ansembly .

|

1/14/2019 9:02 AM

mosslander 1 wrote:

Is this possible to do

Turbojez wrote:

Possible? Probably.
I don't see a reason, why it should, definitely not a direct fit. 450 motor and tranny is different than YZ.
Just remove 1st gear from YZ250 transmission.
Out of curiosity: What's the point?

mosslander 1 wrote:

Putting esr 325 kit on and with more torch the greater gearwith for stronger gearbox will minimize failure and less shifting , I understand it must include drumselector and selectorforks in the ansembly .

As long as you are not speed shifting it a lot it won't really be a problem.
.

|

1/14/2019 10:23 PM

Might actually be possible.
The WR400/426 transmission has been used for years in the YZ250 cases for a wide ratio option (some grinding is needed if 5th gear is used). I think I read years ago that guys were using the same WR426 gears in the early YZ450F cases, but I'm not certain of that. If they can be used, then you should be able to make it work.

|

1/15/2019 3:15 AM

Matt Fisher wrote:

Might actually be possible.
The WR400/426 transmission has been used for years in the YZ250 cases for a wide ratio option (some grinding is needed if 5th gear is used). I think I read years ago that guys were using the same WR426 gears in the early YZ450F cases, but I'm not certain of that. If they can be used, then you should be able to make it work.

I was moore sugesting on 03-05 Yzf 450 gearbox with selectordrum and forks !

|

1/15/2019 8:14 AM

Matt Fisher wrote:

Might actually be possible.
The WR400/426 transmission has been used for years in the YZ250 cases for a wide ratio option (some grinding is needed if 5th gear is used). I think I read years ago that guys were using the same WR426 gears in the early YZ450F cases, but I'm not certain of that. If they can be used, then you should be able to make it work.

mosslander 1 wrote:

I was moore sugesting on 03-05 Yzf 450 gearbox with selectordrum and forks !

I understand.
My point was that WR426 gears fit in the YZ250, and that I think they also fit in the early YZ450. If that's the case, the YZ450 gears should also fit in the YZ250. Thumper Talk would be a great resource for you to check on, they tend to have a higher collection of tech than Vital.

|

1/15/2019 2:41 PM

Matt Fisher wrote:

Might actually be possible.
The WR400/426 transmission has been used for years in the YZ250 cases for a wide ratio option (some grinding is needed if 5th gear is used). I think I read years ago that guys were using the same WR426 gears in the early YZ450F cases, but I'm not certain of that. If they can be used, then you should be able to make it work.

mosslander 1 wrote:

I was moore sugesting on 03-05 Yzf 450 gearbox with selectordrum and forks !

Matt Fisher wrote:

I understand.
My point was that WR426 gears fit in the YZ250, and that I think they also fit in the early YZ450. If that's the case, the YZ450 gears should also fit in the YZ250. Thumper Talk would be a great resource for you to check on, they tend to have a higher collection of tech than Vital.

Many thanks Matt

|

1/18/2019 7:13 PM

curious, if you remove 1st gear its going to be N-N-2-3-4-5? or you just bang down on the lever any number of times and you'll be in N? like N-2-3-4-5

|

1/18/2019 9:59 PM

GCBC wrote:

curious, if you remove 1st gear its going to be N-N-2-3-4-5? or you just bang down on the lever any number of times and you'll be in N? like N-2-3-4-5

Normally when pulling a gear out the shift drum is changed too. That way it operates like the 4 speed did in it's original intended engine. 1-N-2-3-4.

|

1/19/2019 7:24 AM

GCBC wrote:

curious, if you remove 1st gear its going to be N-N-2-3-4-5? or you just bang down on the lever any number of times and you'll be in N? like N-2-3-4-5

Matt Fisher wrote:

Normally when pulling a gear out the shift drum is changed too. That way it operates like the 4 speed did in it's original intended engine. 1-N-2-3-4.

I have never seen a 4 speed and 5 speed shift drum that were interchangeable. What bike and what drums did you use to do this on?

|

1/19/2019 7:25 AM

GCBC wrote:

curious, if you remove 1st gear its going to be N-N-2-3-4-5? or you just bang down on the lever any number of times and you'll be in N? like N-2-3-4-5

You can typically just remove the pin in the drum for first gear.

|

1/21/2019 10:57 AM

Remove a gear and still have weak three dog 4th left , naa !

|

1/21/2019 3:13 PM

What can be done to beef up the YZ250 transmission?

|

1/21/2019 3:23 PM

You can get it a cryogenic treatment.

|

1/21/2019 4:49 PM

You can get it a cryogenic treatment.

|

3/20/2019 12:44 AM

It works with modification on drum and selectors, shims 2 mm on each side and drill with 4 mm 60 degree anti clock Photo for a new pin to locating the drum for neutral, then use two washer on each side for trust the bearings, use the 250 selectorpins on the 450 four speed selectors voilaa ,
Photo
Photo

|