Do you live a double life? Switching wheel sets

Related:
Create New Tag

2/7/2018 8:40 AM

Ideally I'd like to run 2 different wheel sets in the rear
One with Moto setup to keep rear fresh
One with a cheater tire for trails
I hate putting on fresh rubber only to chew it up riding trails
What's your experiences like, is it worth getting a front as well?
Would likely go with a inexpensive rear wheel (tusk) and use that for my non Track rubber (gumby,sand,)
But I don't think I'd want to go with an 18' for ease of tire options? I don't think I could find a sand tire in a 18 easily?

Looking for opinions from people who HAVE experience running two wheel sets for this kind of purpose. Thx

|

2/7/2018 8:52 AM

Been doing this for years I have three sets of Tusk Wheels, depending on the track sometimes we can get three races out of a rear(gncc) if he was to ride on it during the week we be putting tires on for every race, once a tire is deemed not good enough to race it goes on the practice Wheels . if you race a lot the extra rims pay for themselves.

|

2/7/2018 8:55 AM

I have a set of spares in case i bust a tube at the track. Gotta weigh a riding day getting cut short at 10 mins vs a full day.

|

2/7/2018 9:28 AM

I also do the two wheel set thing. For awhile I just had one bike so it was for switching between track and trail. Now that I have two bikes my woods bike wheel sets are pretty much one setup for mud, and the other for dry hardpack.

|

2003 CR250R - 2006 KX250 (freessshhhh)

2/7/2018 9:44 AM

I have intermediate tires on my stock wheels and a set of sand tires mounted on another set of wheels. I could do with just the rear, but I happened to have a matching front so I went with it.

Not a necessity by any means, but if you can afford a spare wheel I say go for it.

|

2/7/2018 10:14 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/7/2018 10:16 AM

Dude, this is a no brainer. Why do you have to ask???

A flat sucks too much time from my riding so I keep a spare wheel. But for sure if I rode trails and moto I would have a different wheel and tire for each.

This is not rocket science. Go get a wheel bro!!

|

2/7/2018 9:15 PM

I habitually have 2 wheelsets for each bike and I hardly use the other set but when I do flat or switch out with fresh tires ready to go then it is really awesome! haha

|

2/8/2018 2:25 AM

2 wheel sets 100%
Not a cheap investment but you wont regret it.

I have an RM250 which I am using for both Moto and Enduro. So I have 1 wheelset set up with regular tubes and fresh tyres for racing MX. Then the other set (older set) with more Enduro specific tyres and heavy duty tubes, and a steel sprocket too. Still using a 19'' on the rear but may switch to an 18'' in the future.

|

@russ_69

2/8/2018 9:52 AM

Absolutely do it.

I do it the same way as RCF. I get about the same, 3 races on a rear and then it goes to the practice wheels for during the week. I run the same tire pattern everywhere on the east coast (from South Carolina to NY) so its more of a tire wear issue for me than it is type of tire.

Whatever you do though, try to avoid doing an 18" and a 19" in my opinion... I did that one year and it was more of a pain than it was a benefit.

|

2/8/2018 1:34 PM

Guys,
Are you switching out the chain and sprockets when changing the rear wheels? just curious.....I have 2 wheels for each of my bikes and I switch out the whole thing.......am I being to anal about this?/????

|

2/9/2018 2:42 AM

I don’t switch chain and sprockets personally. I use Dirt Trick sprockets and the same size on each wheel so I don’t worry about it, just swap and go.

|

2/9/2018 3:28 AM

I have 3 sets of genuine wheels. All with discs and sprockets.
I keep “sharp” intermediate tires on one set. “Practice” Tires (previous “sharps”) on another. Mud or hard pack tires on the “spare” set.

It’s pretty quick to swap wheels. I use the “practice” set for riding up and down the street on, to dry the bike after a wash. Leave them on for “warm up/practice” on race day. Swap in the prefered option for the races.

Of course, I have serious issues.

|

2/9/2018 5:41 AM

Moto520 wrote:

Guys,
Are you switching out the chain and sprockets when changing the rear wheels? just curious.....I have 2 wheels for each of my bikes and I switch out the whole thing.......am I being to anal about this?/????

I use SRT sprockets and rotors so there's no switching they're very inexpensive and they actually hold up pretty good

|