Do you change your air filter if it's barely dirty

Kkawi
Edited Date/Time 6/28/2022 9:37am
I put In a new twin air filter with maxima oil before I ran my last practice Thursday, and I was surprised to see the filter barely got dirty. Im OCD about oiling my filters and extremely OCD about removing and changing them because I don't want dirt in the intake. I'm wondering if I need to change it, or if I could run it again... 2022 YZ250F. I would assume that if anything it might slightly decrease performance but I don't see how using a barely dirty air filter could allow dirt to pass. If anything it seems more restrictive

Also, does anyone have any recommendations for bike cleaner? Not simple green I dont want to fade the aluminum, but just pressure washer doesn't clean enough. I have a lot of shout but i don't know if that will remove greasy chain fling dirt and WD40
|
watson90
6/4/2022 5:14pm
I’ve used Super Clean (purple bottle) lots for cleaning. Spray it on and pressure wash it off and my bike looks mint. Gets all the chain lube and grease off everything with ease. I haven’t had any fading on aluminum or plastics etc.
geeZ177
6/4/2022 6:15pm
I go about 2 hours on a air filter. Normally a practice night then a race day. I inspect it after the first ride, if only marginally dirty I leave it for the second ride. My filter (ktm) only seems to really get dirty in one spot, not all over on the filter. Also my air boot/intake always look brand new clean. My suggestion is to ride a time or two with a dirtier filter and keep note of how much dirt is on the filter and if any gets past it to the boot/intake and adjust your maintenance from there.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
6/4/2022 6:29pm
I only change my filter when it’s dirty. But I don’t ever remove it dirty and then put it back on dirty. If it comes off, I change it. It will give you more likely chance to get dirt in the intake as you are installing the dirty one.

The Shop

Leeham
Fantasy
3088th
6/4/2022 6:45pm Edited Date/Time 6/5/2022 3:33pm
Ive had the opposite experience with Super Clean. That stuff made my 19 Honda look 10 years old after 5 or so washes. Simple green however, been using it on my 21 Yamaha for its 52 hours (1 year) and looks the same as it does day 1 minus that ABSOLUTE fresh bike look.

If the air filter is barely dirty, ill run it again. However on the stock filters on the YZ (sliced bread), I changed that shit every time. With the other intake kits like the twinair, ill run it a little longer with a filter skin. Filter skin gets dirty, take everything off, wash the filter, toss the skin. New filter and skin. Change the filters with the bike on its side with the triple clamp resting on a stand.

(Who dislikes anything? lmfao fucking wierdos)
mark911
6/4/2022 7:01pm
It depends on how much time has passed between cleanings. The filter oil, even some good one, tend to slowly migrate to the bottom of the filter leaving the upper area possibly oil starved.
sandhills
6/4/2022 7:29pm
I will go multiple 2-3 hour rides between cleaning it if it looks clean. Keeping in mind mine gets dirtier from the bottom due to the intake design. If it has been 2 months since the last time I clean it even if it looks clean, cause I think the oil dries out.

But as for a dirty filter being more restrictive, no, fiber auto filters do that but oiled foam filters do not . They never get more restrictive they just get worse at catching the dust. Imagine a million tiny twisting tunnels with oiled walls, the dust hits the wall and sticks. If the walls are completely coated the dust will bounce off them and keeps flying through the tunnel.
Kkawi
6/4/2022 9:17pm
sandhills wrote:
I will go multiple 2-3 hour rides between cleaning it if it looks clean. Keeping in mind mine gets dirtier from the bottom due to the...
I will go multiple 2-3 hour rides between cleaning it if it looks clean. Keeping in mind mine gets dirtier from the bottom due to the intake design. If it has been 2 months since the last time I clean it even if it looks clean, cause I think the oil dries out.

But as for a dirty filter being more restrictive, no, fiber auto filters do that but oiled foam filters do not . They never get more restrictive they just get worse at catching the dust. Imagine a million tiny twisting tunnels with oiled walls, the dust hits the wall and sticks. If the walls are completely coated the dust will bounce off them and keeps flying through the tunnel.
Very good to know thank you
Rider 5280
6/4/2022 11:20pm
I'd check out PC Filter Skins. I've been running those like 15 years, GREAT product that reduces air filter maintenance.

I run them in all my bikes.
Bearuno
6/5/2022 2:07am
Rider 5280 wrote:
I'd check out PC Filter Skins. I've been running those like 15 years, GREAT product that reduces air filter maintenance. I run them in all my...
I'd check out PC Filter Skins. I've been running those like 15 years, GREAT product that reduces air filter maintenance.

I run them in all my bikes.
I've also run them for many years now. They are Good things. I've mates that have run them with the tag and string set up, to remove them during a race, but I've never gone that far.

My airfilter / airbox is a top mount type ( a bit like Dakar bikes), with a large plenum chamber beneath the filter, and the filter takes quite a while to get remotely, noticeably dirty. The use of filter skins is a very effective way to keep things clean. Even in dusty environments, I'll get through 3 filter skins (1 only over the AF) before I get 'guilty' about cleaning the filter.

As others have said, the main reason I'll clean and re-oil my filter is concern about oil migration, but even then I've yet to find the Filter 'dry'. As my airfilter is horizontal, it doesn't dry / get oily at any particular area :

Once I retire my batch of Unifilters, I'll be using Funnel Webs - with those and Filter Skins, I think I'll get multiple rides without changing filters, but, 'guilt' will always get me to do a filter change.
jcp411
6/5/2022 12:49pm Edited Date/Time 6/5/2022 12:50pm
Kkawi wrote:
I put In a new twin air filter with maxima oil before I ran my last practice Thursday, and I was surprised to see the filter...
I put In a new twin air filter with maxima oil before I ran my last practice Thursday, and I was surprised to see the filter barely got dirty. Im OCD about oiling my filters and extremely OCD about removing and changing them because I don't want dirt in the intake. I'm wondering if I need to change it, or if I could run it again... 2022 YZ250F. I would assume that if anything it might slightly decrease performance but I don't see how using a barely dirty air filter could allow dirt to pass. If anything it seems more restrictive

Also, does anyone have any recommendations for bike cleaner? Not simple green I dont want to fade the aluminum, but just pressure washer doesn't clean enough. I have a lot of shout but i don't know if that will remove greasy chain fling dirt and WD40
I use this, it works really good and actually brightens the aluminum. Won’t stain anything, pressure wash the bike and spray it on and pressure wash it off.
lumpy790
6/7/2022 1:08pm
I use Belray oil that traps and holds the dirt so don't worry about big clumps of dirt sitting on the outer filter .

One thing I do worry about how much dirt falls down inside the air boot when removing the air filter. The more you pull the filter the more odds that dirt has fallen in.
JMCR250
6/8/2022 6:13pm
In your circumstance, you should easily be good for another ride. I used to change mine every ride (but tracks were dustier back then). Now, if it's not dirty, I'll go 2-3 rides. But once it's out, it's out. As someone said, never reinstall a dirty filter after you've removed it.

For bike cleaner, I use Meguiars auto cleaner (the purple stuff). Cheap at Walmart. For really dirty parts and tires, I use Honda-Brite/S100 -- it's the same stuff. No problem with corroding metal, harming plastic, etc. Just be sure to follow directions and rinse it off fully. I also don't wash my bike in bright sun -- the water will dry and leave deposits on the metal.
mwssquad827
6/10/2022 7:37am
Kkawi wrote:
I put In a new twin air filter with maxima oil before I ran my last practice Thursday, and I was surprised to see the filter...

Your not that OCD about it if your asking vital if a filter is dirty or not..
Kkawi
6/10/2022 7:56am
Oh OK. Thanks for letting me know how OCD i am. I really appreciate it, it will go a really long way in helping me in life and in motocross. Extreme insight. Thank you. Thank you so much. I can't thank you enough. That's not even what I asked.
mwssquad827
6/10/2022 8:22am Edited Date/Time 6/10/2022 8:25am
Kkawi wrote:
Oh OK. Thanks for letting me know how OCD i am. I really appreciate it, it will go a really long way in helping me in...
Oh OK. Thanks for letting me know how OCD i am. I really appreciate it, it will go a really long way in helping me in life and in motocross. Extreme insight. Thank you. Thank you so much. I can't thank you enough. That's not even what I asked.
OCD- having a tendency toward excessive perfectionism and great attention to detail…

Running a kinda dirty air filter is neither so, Not OCD😂😂😂

I don’t measure my filters by rides or hours… change it when it dirty was my point.

To answer your question run your air filter and I use the purple cleaner for all my bikes as well. 🤙🏻🤙🏻🤙🏻 And have a great Friday and hope you are going to ride this weekend
Sandusky26
6/10/2022 8:54am Edited Date/Time 6/10/2022 8:56am
OCD is cleaning the numbers on a ratio rite with a wire brush and cutting the fingers off a rubber glove to cover your T handles to protect the zinc on hardware. I'm fucked.
b_kowalsk
6/10/2022 1:35pm
Would not recommend you use that purple cleaner for your bikes. It's aggressive stuff. It's actually great for cleaning air filters and engine parts but over time it wreaks havoc on your bikes overall finish.
Gator 4
6/27/2022 8:22pm
No. I will let it get a bit dirty first. I use filter skins - run about 3 or 4 rides - then put a new one on. Filter under the filter skin will look brand new still.
gristle568
6/27/2022 11:19pm
most cleaners are way to aggresive and will etch the aluminum and dull out the anodizing.i have been using shout for the last couple of years and it works great and is resonably priced.
Moto520
6/28/2022 8:10am Edited Date/Time 6/28/2022 9:37am
The Yamaha filter dries out quickly. I would replace it after every ride day.

Use the green No-Toil if you have the choice....i think it does less damage to the filter glue.

To clean....use Cycle Wash available from Motosport for $20/ gallon. Already mixed and i can make this stuff last forever since i only give the bike a quick overall spray. More advice.....after riding....spray the bike down with WD-40. it will not hurt any of the materials on the bike and will cut into some of the stuck dirt/ grease for the power wash.
PNWMXer
6/28/2022 8:29am
My filter gets changed every ride, regardless. Cheap insurance, especially on four-strokes.

For cleaning, I use the following:

1) Citra-solv (orange based cleaner like goo gone) on chain and sprockets.

2) Simple Green (full strength) on tires, underside of fenders, and chain/sprockets

3) Simple Green (cut 50/50 with water after step 2) everywhere else

4) switch from pressure washer to hose and give bike a thorough rinse with plain car wash soap (not wash and wax) to neutralize any Simple green and rinse everything clean.

5) blow water out of everywhere with an air nozzle/dry with microfiber.

Post a reply to: Do you change your air filter if it's barely dirty

The Latest