Dirt Tricks KTM Timing Chain Tensioner Style 2

Kanewel433
I have a new to me 2015 250 SX-F that just last weekend started making a slight "tink" noise on startup. Previously I was a 2T guy and this is my first 4T. The bike has 88 hours on the engine, previously vet owned, and so I'm in the process of considering a new top end, though it may not be immediately necessary.

Back to the question though; the "tink" is audibly noticeable but I don't recognize any difference in power delivery. I rode for 2 hours and never had an issue. He checked the valves at 60 hours and said they were well within spec. I reached out to him and he recommended the Dirt Tricks KTM Timing Chain Tensioner Style 2. Anyone know if this will help? The bike doesn't always start up on the first press of the e-start, despite having an upgraded battery. Should I look into replacing the fuel filter?

Thank you
|
Paw Paw 271
6/11/2018 1:14pm
I would suggest that the timing chain has worn and the replacement of the chain tensioner is a band aid. Most stock cam chain auto tensioners are built to only extend so far and when the cam chain has worn so much that the tensioner is leaving the chain loose some folks replace the tensioner when the real issue is the cam chain wear.
Inspect the cam chain first.

Paw Paw
Kanewel433
6/12/2018 5:20am
Thanks Paw Paw, I'll take a look into that.

I also ordered the in-line fuel filters. If that doesn't fix it the slow startup, I'll dive into the fuel pump. Any other ideas?

Post a reply to: Dirt Tricks KTM Timing Chain Tensioner Style 2

The Latest