DIY super gas can

FWYT
Edited Date/Time 11/6/2020 9:42am
I got a used 5 gal. soda keg for $20.00 and took out the ball lock in the middle. Sourced a 2.5" steel bung with threaded cap and TIG brazed it on with silicone bronze rod. (No critique of the welding allowed. Still learning!! hahahah) Cut the handle off of one side for easier pouring. Voila!!! Super strong, totally airtight, zero fumes, easy to use, the ring on the bottom keeps it essentially lifted off the ground, 100% safe, the opening is large enough that it doesn't go glug-glug, race gas will last forever . . . WIN!!!!!!

|
erik_94COBRA
10/27/2020 12:01pm
Looks well done.

Couple of things to consider: 1. Aluminum may transfer heat more quickly than steel or plastic (depending on wall thickness) and 2. The temperature change of your fuel could potentially cause quite a pressure buildup with limited possibility for release (plastic jugs will rupture, most metal cans aren’t sealed super great).

So, may be cautious when opening it the first time if it’s heated up at all.
FWYT
10/27/2020 12:22pm
Looks well done. Couple of things to consider: 1. Aluminum may transfer heat more quickly than steel or plastic (depending on wall thickness) and 2. The...
Looks well done.

Couple of things to consider: 1. Aluminum may transfer heat more quickly than steel or plastic (depending on wall thickness) and 2. The temperature change of your fuel could potentially cause quite a pressure buildup with limited possibility for release (plastic jugs will rupture, most metal cans aren’t sealed super great).

So, may be cautious when opening it the first time if it’s heated up at all.
Oh yeah, no problem. The cap is screw on so it will be easy to seep the pressure out the last turn or so.
And the can itself can handle WAY, WAY more pressure than could ever develop on a warm day.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
10/27/2020 1:15pm
Race gas will not last forever, even in that can. It will last a long, long time if it's full, though. Cool

BTW, it's still super illegal to carry gasoline in that can, since it isn't approved by the fire marshall, red, or fitted with one of those fancy, CARB-required, "apparatus which is supposed to prevent leaks but is the only thing in the known universe which is 100% guaranteed to leak" things that CA requires.

Rock on though, it's pretty cool.
AJ565
10/27/2020 1:23pm
You may want to add some kind of manual pressure release to that. Good luck getting that cap off once it builds pressure other wise, speaking from experience.

The Shop

kb228
10/27/2020 1:35pm
Home depot sells PRVs that have npt threads and you just pull the ring to release it
FWYT
10/29/2020 8:42am
Falcon wrote:
Race gas will not last forever, even in that can. It will last a long, long time if it's full, though. B) BTW, it's still super...
Race gas will not last forever, even in that can. It will last a long, long time if it's full, though. Cool

BTW, it's still super illegal to carry gasoline in that can, since it isn't approved by the fire marshall, red, or fitted with one of those fancy, CARB-required, "apparatus which is supposed to prevent leaks but is the only thing in the known universe which is 100% guaranteed to leak" things that CA requires.

I am as environmentally friendly and conscious as the next gear head, but every time I see one
of those fugging cans, it just seems like a good intention with Rube Goldberg results. BlinkBlink
FWYT
10/29/2020 8:46am
AJ565 wrote:
You may want to add some kind of manual pressure release to that. Good luck getting that cap off once it builds pressure other wise, speaking...
You may want to add some kind of manual pressure release to that. Good luck getting that cap off once it builds pressure other wise, speaking from experience.
Good point, hadn't thought of this. Thank you for pointing it out. Easy enough to work around at the track
by leaving the cap a half turn loose, though. (This cap is about four full turns so plenty of room.) Thanks again.
mx317
10/29/2020 9:20am Edited Date/Time 10/29/2020 9:21am
I use one of those to spray water on me after a hot moto. I have a hose attached with a nozzle and air it up through a shrader valve. The hose is attached where the coke came out so it fills through a tube from the bottom. Fill it with water and take a short shower.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
10/29/2020 2:43pm
Falcon wrote:
Race gas will not last forever, even in that can. It will last a long, long time if it's full, though. B) BTW, it's still super...

FWYT wrote:
I am as environmentally friendly and conscious as the next gear head, but every time I see one of those fugging cans, it just seems like...
I am as environmentally friendly and conscious as the next gear head, but every time I see one
of those fugging cans, it just seems like a good intention with Rube Goldberg results. BlinkBlink
Yep. I just can't wait until California starts blaming more gasoline fires on "reckless off-roaders" because their damn leaky gas cans were mandated.
FGR01
Fantasy
1327th
10/29/2020 6:46pm
In other states, you can always tell when you're buying the good stuff when it has "Illegal in California" printed on it. Guns, gas cans, carb cleaner........
mwssquad827
10/30/2020 7:48pm Edited Date/Time 10/30/2020 7:49pm
mx317 wrote:
I use one of those to spray water on me after a hot moto. I have a hose attached with a nozzle and air it up...
I use one of those to spray water on me after a hot moto. I have a hose attached with a nozzle and air it up through a shrader valve. The hose is attached where the coke came out so it fills through a tube from the bottom. Fill it with water and take a short shower.
Pic?? That sounds awesome for hot days..
BToz
10/30/2020 9:28pm
FWYT wrote:
I got a used 5 gal. soda keg for $20.00 and took out the ball lock in the middle. Sourced a 2.5" steel bung with threaded...
I got a used 5 gal. soda keg for $20.00 and took out the ball lock in the middle. Sourced a 2.5" steel bung with threaded cap and TIG brazed it on with silicone bronze rod. (No critique of the welding allowed. Still learning!! hahahah) Cut the handle off of one side for easier pouring. Voila!!! Super strong, totally airtight, zero fumes, easy to use, the ring on the bottom keeps it essentially lifted off the ground, 100% safe, the opening is large enough that it doesn't go glug-glug, race gas will last forever . . . WIN!!!!!!

I’m working on tig with aluminum and stainless too. How’s your learning going? What welding setup do you have? I’m working with 5052 .190 aluminum sheets. Cups, tungsten, filler, gas, amps, ac balance, Hz... I’m still learning. Setting up tig is way more intense than mig and requires a ton more skill!
FWYT
10/30/2020 10:21pm Edited Date/Time 10/30/2020 10:26pm
BToz wrote:
I’m working on tig with aluminum and stainless too. How’s your learning going? What welding setup do you have? I’m working with 5052 .190 aluminum sheets...
I’m working on tig with aluminum and stainless too. How’s your learning going? What welding setup do you have? I’m working with 5052 .190 aluminum sheets. Cups, tungsten, filler, gas, amps, ac balance, Hz... I’m still learning. Setting up tig is way more intense than mig and requires a ton more skill!
Still learning, for sure! Some days are super frustrating and other days are better. Some days I go through as much tungsten as I do filler rod! LaughingLaughingLaughing I took a crash course day with a local welder who helped me get going and answered some questions that got me over the initial hump. I saved up and got an Alpha TIG 201XD which is definitely just an entry level machine but should do the job for me for quite a while.

My vision is a little off (double astigmatisms in both eyes) so it took a while to find the right combo of cheater lens/cheater glasses and that helped quite a bit.

This tank is stainless as is the bung but I chose to braze it because they are radically different thicknesses and I don't trust my skills enough yet to think I could have welded them properly without it looking horrible. But I'm super stoked on this can!
BToz
10/31/2020 6:02am
FWYT wrote:
Still learning, for sure! Some days are super frustrating and other days are better. Some days I go through as much tungsten as I do filler...
Still learning, for sure! Some days are super frustrating and other days are better. Some days I go through as much tungsten as I do filler rod! LaughingLaughingLaughing I took a crash course day with a local welder who helped me get going and answered some questions that got me over the initial hump. I saved up and got an Alpha TIG 201XD which is definitely just an entry level machine but should do the job for me for quite a while.

My vision is a little off (double astigmatisms in both eyes) so it took a while to find the right combo of cheater lens/cheater glasses and that helped quite a bit.

This tank is stainless as is the bung but I chose to braze it because they are radically different thicknesses and I don't trust my skills enough yet to think I could have welded them properly without it looking horrible. But I'm super stoked on this can!
I went to diamondground.com and bought disposable tungsten. They’re cheap and come in packs of 10 for $3.99 and are sharpened at both ends. That way I could try different colors and flip them over then throw them away. I love it when you’re going along trying to concentrate on torch height and pedal then your arm doesn’t move or slide smoothly and you dip the tungsten or shoot way out in front of your puddle! I’ve been watching the fabrication series too, good info without a bunch of bs or textbook science. The Alpha tig is no slouch! A lot of good reviews on it. Post up some pictures (if you dare) of the learning welds and we’ll compare!
15tc150
10/31/2020 7:17am
FWYT wrote:
I got a used 5 gal. soda keg for $20.00 and took out the ball lock in the middle. Sourced a 2.5" steel bung with threaded...

BToz wrote:
I’m working on tig with aluminum and stainless too. How’s your learning going? What welding setup do you have? I’m working with 5052 .190 aluminum sheets...
Are you purging your tanks before welding?
mx317
11/4/2020 5:03am
mx317 wrote:
I use one of those to spray water on me after a hot moto. I have a hose attached with a nozzle and air it up...

BToz
11/4/2020 12:24pm
mx317 wrote:
mx317 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/11/04/457487/s1200_AADB7C44_0CED_4598_BBE4_C47589C77933.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/11/04/457488/s1200_F06C9DBD_A77D_438D_8B93_E27399BDB658.jpg[/img]

Lol nice! That’s creative!
mx317
11/4/2020 3:00pm
BToz wrote:
I need to spray it off because its been sitting awhile. We have been using my friends motor home some when we stay overnight.
mwssquad827
11/6/2020 9:42am
mx317 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/11/04/457487/s1200_AADB7C44_0CED_4598_BBE4_C47589C77933.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/11/04/457488/s1200_F06C9DBD_A77D_438D_8B93_E27399BDB658.jpg[/img]

BToz wrote:
Cool

Post a reply to: DIY super gas can

The Latest