DIY 2017-2019 FC450 Air Box Mods for better airflow

Related:
Create New Tag

1/20/2019 4:51 PM

Curious if any of you have cut out holes for your air box, and IF you did, did you have to put air filter screens to keep excess dirt out. I don’t get how husqvarna engineers still haven’t fixed the issue of such a tight restricted air flow when we’ve been complaining for the past 2 year models.

A previous thread on here posted this picture this is what I’m going to do this week. But haven’t seen anyone talk about having to use filters.
If you’ve done this mod to your airbox let me know what you came up with

Photo

|

1/21/2019 8:30 AM

I do it to all my KTMs
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

|

1/21/2019 8:52 AM

That was my Husky. I don't use any screens, but it's not a bad idea. It could keep something from coming in and snagging your filter. It doesn't seem to get dirtier any quicker than it did before, it just gets dirty all over instead of just at the bottom of the filter. I couldn't tell you what it did exactly because I had it remapped at the same time.

|

Take it to the limit, one more time!

1/21/2019 8:57 AM

CarlinoJoeVideo wrote:

I do it to all my KTMs
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

Window screen? Never thought about that. That seems like the way I’ll go. Thanks carlino

|

1/21/2019 9:15 AM

Yeah I just use the window screen with 3m spray. Make sure you spray the area then put the screen down so you don’t cover it with glue.

|

1/21/2019 12:40 PM

CarlinoJoeVideo wrote:

Yeah I just use the window screen with 3m spray. Make sure you spray the area then put the screen down so you don’t cover it ...more

With your KTM, does your cover already have the open slit between the numbers or did you cut that out as well?

|

1/22/2019 2:56 AM

I did the same to as the pic of bike 317 only my holes were a little smaller, I can get a pic later today, and thanks to carlinojoe, I too used the screen on the back side. Slimchugga119 to answer your question also I too cut that tab off to open it up. It works great and I did that when I had our vortex dyno tuned to the bike

|

1/22/2019 7:08 AM

CarlinoJoeVideo wrote:

Yeah I just use the window screen with 3m spray. Make sure you spray the area then put the screen down so you don’t cover it ...more

slimchugga119 wrote:

With your KTM, does your cover already have the open slit between the numbers or did you cut that out as well?

I cut the extra flap off the airbox cover.

|

1/22/2019 11:34 AM

ktm-5 wrote:

I did the same to as the pic of bike 317 only my holes were a little smaller, I can get a pic later today, and thanks to ...more

Awesome fellas. I’ll get around to before the weekend. Thanks again

|

1/22/2019 1:20 PM

Those are 7/8 inch holes in mine. MXA was saying one inch holes, but these seemed plenty big.

|

Take it to the limit, one more time!