Cycra Powerflow YZ250F

9/7/2018 5:26pm Edited Date/Time 11/17/2020 9:29am
Well just spent my evening installing the Cycra one piece powerflow shrouds on my 2018 YZ250F and although I love how it looks I am NOT at all pleased with it. The right side powerflow red part mounting hole was WAY undersized. I had to ream it so it would fit. Left side was so so. None of the supplied spacers stayed in. Just when you would get the shroud picked up to install one would pop out. Put it back in and a different one would pop out. Finally after loosely fitting everything and aligning it I tightened it all down. I can wiggle the top air box piece and pop it loose. It snaps back in but I’m worried it’s going to come loose while riding. Maybe I just did a bad installation job but I’ve never had so many issues putting plastic on a bike before. I love how it looks and how much narrower the bike is but for $105 I really expected much better quality.

|
ZB93
9/7/2018 8:48pm
I had a similar experience installing on the same bike, definitely unsettling at first. Good news is the kit has held up fairly well through a race season. Only issue I had was the shroud piece that runs over the tank near the middle of the seat starting to bow out and catch on my knee guards. It can be fixed it with a heat gun/blow dryer, just try not to melt your graphics!
ZB93
9/7/2018 8:49pm
Clean lookin bike btw
sgrimmxdad
Fantasy
2109th
9/8/2018 1:53am
Something isn't exactly right there. That airbox cover is not sitting properly. When you first install the kit you have to leave the shrouds a little loose until you get the top on. Get everything lined up, then go back and tighten everything.

I have been through 4 sets of these same plastics. I will say quality seems to have gone down a little from the first set compared to the last. Our last set seems a little more flimsy than the first. The air box cover on the last 2 do not seem to sit 100% perfect but close.
9/8/2018 5:45am
Thanks guys. I’ll go back again today and mess with it. I was really frustrated with it last night. Might be one of those deals where you just gotta walk away and come back to ty again

The Shop

mxb2
9/8/2018 8:03am
Sik bike btw, be careful the haters on vital will tell you to take off the decals, monster, fmf etc. You arent getting paid
9/8/2018 10:54am
mxb2 wrote:
Sik bike btw, be careful the haters on vital will tell you to take off the decals, monster, fmf etc. You arent getting paid
I’ve always said f*ck the haters. I think they are the best looking graphics for this bike imo. But thanks man. I know how people can get on here lol
mxb2
9/8/2018 10:56am
mxb2 wrote:
I’ve always said f*ck the haters. I think they are the best looking graphics for this bike imo. But thanks man. I know how people can...
I’ve always said f*ck the haters. I think they are the best looking graphics for this bike imo. But thanks man. I know how people can get on here lol
Exactly, your $$ ,your decision.
Naanak
9/8/2018 5:28pm
Mine can be a pain to line it all up but once you get it, it’s good.
fullfloater
Fantasy
14th
9/10/2018 1:39am
Ha the same problem with mine and had to bore out some of the holes for the washers to fit. And the alignment was poor. I was so frustrated at first that I went back to the stock stuff for a bit.

All worked out in the end -- loosen everything up a bit, even the tank, and get everything lined up properly and then tighten it up. Your bike looks great.
hogkiller
9/11/2018 4:47pm
The same problem with mine on the right side powerflow red part popping off ,took for ever to get it lined up , for the money I expected much better quality. Every time I do the filter it pops off but it has never fallen off, had it all on a year now
Riki
11/16/2020 9:43pm
Well just spent my evening installing the Cycra one piece powerflow shrouds on my 2018 YZ250F and although I love how it looks I am NOT...
Well just spent my evening installing the Cycra one piece powerflow shrouds on my 2018 YZ250F and although I love how it looks I am NOT at all pleased with it. The right side powerflow red part mounting hole was WAY undersized. I had to ream it so it would fit. Left side was so so. None of the supplied spacers stayed in. Just when you would get the shroud picked up to install one would pop out. Put it back in and a different one would pop out. Finally after loosely fitting everything and aligning it I tightened it all down. I can wiggle the top air box piece and pop it loose. It snaps back in but I’m worried it’s going to come loose while riding. Maybe I just did a bad installation job but I’ve never had so many issues putting plastic on a bike before. I love how it looks and how much narrower the bike is but for $105 I really expected much better quality.

Hi. Ive just purchased the cycra shrouds and air box cover at a bargain price and was wondering how you removed the 3 original air box bolts from the oem air box or did you use different ones as yours didn't have the "D" piece on them.
Hope that makes sense 🤔
Rider 5280
11/17/2020 8:25am Edited Date/Time 11/17/2020 8:42am
The good news:
(1) The fit of the plastics will eventually sort itself out
(2) The ergonomics are much better than stock - they are worth the hassle

The bad / the fixes:
(1) Installing GYTR radiator braces helped a lot in terms of stabilizing the fit of the plastics (and the are a GREAT product --- they are much more robust than Works Connection units IMO, and I generally love WC products, too)
(2) I like to use the ultra strong clear packaging tape as a way to "lock in" the plastic piece fit as I slowly tightening everything down. Then I just peel the tape, and voila!
(3) A heat gun is helpful to reshape parts slightly, as needed

Lastly, the airbox cover sides/radiator shroud tops DO continue to pop out of place on me occasionally, but I just force them back and they stay. This usually happens to me when loading 3 bikes into the pickup bed and there's contact between the bikes at the radiator shrouds. I always put the 2016 YZ250F in the middle, so it has the most contact.

kevinr
11/17/2020 9:29am
Cool bike. Looks like we have similar tastes and just our numbers are rearranged a bit.

Post a reply to: Cycra Powerflow YZ250F

The Latest