Cylinder head cleaning.

Isaish305
Edited Date/Time 11/2/2017 4:13pm
Vital members I need your advise. I just tore apart my top end on my 2016 rmz 450. Im just wondering what you guys use to clean it out with? The valves are pretty dirty to.

Any advise would be much appreciated!
|
Acidreamer
11/2/2017 1:14am
Soak it in a heated degreaser. A combination of brake cleaner and scotch brite with get the carbon off. Inside the cylinder id probably pass on the scotch brite tho. Maybe 0000 steel wool would be ok. Razerblade for the gasket material
RCF
11/2/2017 8:31am
Have you been running fuel with lead in this bike ? That's not a good idea in modern bikes titanium valves don't like LEAD.
For cleaning the valves I picked up a cheap ultrasonic cleaner from Harbor Freight. it only runs in 5 minutes cycle you have to keep resetting it but they come out like brand new, run a 50/50 mix of water and Simple Green.
Hondas4Life3
11/2/2017 11:24am Edited Date/Time 11/2/2017 11:25am
The pros use soda blasting for the heads/valves (or vapor blasting). The cylinder inside will clean up with WD40 and scotchbrite
11/2/2017 12:38pm Edited Date/Time 11/2/2017 12:39pm
RCF wrote:
Have you been running fuel with lead in this bike ? That's not a good idea in modern bikes titanium valves don't like LEAD. For cleaning...
Have you been running fuel with lead in this bike ? That's not a good idea in modern bikes titanium valves don't like LEAD.
For cleaning the valves I picked up a cheap ultrasonic cleaner from Harbor Freight. it only runs in 5 minutes cycle you have to keep resetting it but they come out like brand new, run a 50/50 mix of water and Simple Green.
FYI, this Simple Green HD product is safe on aluminum unlike standard simple green, so it can be used on many other parts other than just your valves; it's what I run in my Ultrasonic, at a ratio of 5 parts water to 1 part solution. Then again, I use mine for mostly for cleaning carbs. Stronger solution for carbon build up sounds accurate. Pretty sure only Home Depot carries this simple green HD stuff (or Amazon) https://www.homedepot.com/p/Simple-Green-Pro-HD-128-oz-Professional-Gra…

The Shop

Isaish305
11/2/2017 4:13pm
RCF wrote:
Have you been running fuel with lead in this bike ? That's not a good idea in modern bikes titanium valves don't like LEAD. For cleaning...
I just got the bike. Not sure what the previous owner ran. I run 50/50 mix of vp 110 and 97 pump gas.

Post a reply to: Cylinder head cleaning.

The Latest