Crf450 mechanical water pump seal

hubbardmx50
Edited Date/Time 4/27/2021 12:16pm
Has anyone ever installed one? What a royal pain in the ass! Just did one on a 2015 and we have no idea if it’s in there correctly. Started the bike and no more coolant spewing out of the weep hole but we did notice that the water pump cover got very hot. We then started up my 2017 and my water pump cover was quite hot too. We’re gonna ride Pala tomorrow and see what happens. Anyone have experience with this? Thanks!
- TH
|
Paw Paw 271
6/15/2019 7:39pm
Did you also install a new bearing? New shaft? Grease the seals?

Paw Paw
hubbardmx50
6/15/2019 7:46pm
Actually, no shaft. We just did the Hot Rods kit which comes with seal, bearing and O-Ring
hubbardmx50
7/18/2019 9:27pm
We Put about 5 hours of riding on that seal and now it’s leaking out of the weep hole again, super frustrated right now as we’re hoping to get in some Motos this coming week to practice for SwapMoto at GlenHelen. Guess I’ll hit the dealer tomorrow and try an OEM one. Once again if anyone has successfully installed one and can give me some tips I would appreciate it.

The Shop

DTHA70
7/19/2019 3:23pm
replace the shaft while youre in there.
hubbardmx50
7/22/2019 12:38am
After tearing it apart we realized the small rubber oil seal you press in before the mechanical seal was facing the wrong way... such a bonehead move, as it’s clearly marked in the service manual. Installing the OEM parts went good since we just bought the correct tool from Honda to press it in. I think the shaft is fine
mike23lee
3/21/2021 12:29pm
After tearing it apart we realized the small rubber oil seal you press in before the mechanical seal was facing the wrong way... such a bonehead...
After tearing it apart we realized the small rubber oil seal you press in before the mechanical seal was facing the wrong way... such a bonehead move, as it’s clearly marked in the service manual. Installing the OEM parts went good since we just bought the correct tool from Honda to press it in. I think the shaft is fine
Where did you get those special tools to press the mechanical seal in? Having trouble finding one, specifically the 070mf-mena210 which is the installer collar. Im on my 3rd mechanical seal and no luck yet everyone still leaks like crazy. New shaft new case, new bearing, new oil seal, new mechanical seal.
hubbardmx50
4/27/2021 10:19am
After tearing it apart we realized the small rubber oil seal you press in before the mechanical seal was facing the wrong way... such a bonehead...
mike23lee wrote:
Where did you get those special tools to press the mechanical seal in? Having trouble finding one, specifically the 070mf-mena210 which is the installer collar. Im...
Where did you get those special tools to press the mechanical seal in? Having trouble finding one, specifically the 070mf-mena210 which is the installer collar. Im on my 3rd mechanical seal and no luck yet everyone still leaks like crazy. New shaft new case, new bearing, new oil seal, new mechanical seal.
Hey Mike. It was so long ago when we bought it but I think I special ordered it from Chaparral Motorsports. Any Honda dealer can order it for you if you give them the part number. I think the one we got is 070MF-MENA200 which is a set that also includes 070MF-MENA210. The seal is leaking on my 2017 and I'm thrilled that the seal is the same part number and I don't have to buy another tool. Hopefully the case being different doesn't pose a problem. What year is your bike?
hubbardmx50
4/27/2021 10:30am
Glad I was able to find this thread, it's like traveling through time. Lol! Two years later and no issues with the seal we did on the 15 after we installed the oil seal the correct way. So stoked to see it's the same part number for 17
hubbardmx50
4/27/2021 10:45am
Looks like 070MF-MENA200 is still in Chaparral's system from when I ordered it five years ago. But If you're on a 17-20 bike it looks like you only need the one ending in 210. I really wish we would have kept the bag with part number the tool came in so I knew which one we had. I think we got the part number straight out of the owner's manual for my 2011 if my memory serves me right.

https://www.chapmoto.com/installer-mech.seal.html
mike23lee
4/27/2021 12:06pm
Looks like 070MF-MENA200 is still in Chaparral's system from when I ordered it five years ago. But If you're on a 17-20 bike it looks like...
Looks like 070MF-MENA200 is still in Chaparral's system from when I ordered it five years ago. But If you're on a 17-20 bike it looks like you only need the one ending in 210. I really wish we would have kept the bag with part number the tool came in so I knew which one we had. I think we got the part number straight out of the owner's manual for my 2011 if my memory serves me right.

I actually just got a case cover from geico honda with a new seal pressed in, easy fix hopefully it doesnt need to be changed again lol but thanks for help
hubbardmx50
4/27/2021 12:16pm
Looks like 070MF-MENA200 is still in Chaparral's system from when I ordered it five years ago. But If you're on a 17-20 bike it looks like...

mike23lee wrote:
I actually just got a case cover from geico honda with a new seal pressed in, easy fix hopefully it doesnt need to be changed again...
I actually just got a case cover from geico honda with a new seal pressed in, easy fix hopefully it doesnt need to be changed again lol but thanks for help
Nice, yeah looks like you have to buy the set ending in 200 to get 210. Why the hell does Honda use this design? Isn’t it just a simple O-Ring on all the other bikes?

Post a reply to: Crf450 mechanical water pump seal

The Latest