Cracked header pipe on kx450f

sb1569
I have a PC Ti6 system but just got a small crack in the header pipe along the weld. What further damage could it cause and can you run a stock header with the aftermarket silencer?
|
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
7/20/2019 5:55am
sb1569 wrote:
I have a PC Ti6 system but just got a small crack in the header pipe along the weld. What further damage could it cause and...
I have a PC Ti6 system but just got a small crack in the header pipe along the weld. What further damage could it cause and can you run a stock header with the aftermarket silencer?
I wouldn’t expect any damage caused by the crack, but the bike might not run as well if it’s cracked enough to leak air.

Find someone local who can fix the weld. Should take them 5-10 minutes.
pete24
7/20/2019 5:56am
ive sent cracked headers back to PC and they either fixed or replaced them for free
sb1569
7/22/2019 6:18am
pete24 wrote:
ive sent cracked headers back to PC and they either fixed or replaced them for free
Cheers for the reply mate but im based in australia so im not sure if they will take it internationally lol.
kb228
7/22/2019 6:26am
pete24 wrote:
sb1569 wrote:
Cheers for the reply mate but im based in australia so im not sure if they will take it internationally lol.
Might be better off having a shop fix it than shipping it. Welding titanium pipes is a bit of a process. You have to purge the inside with argon or something before it can be welded.

A friend of mine is certified in many aspects of welding and quoted me $120 to repair a small crack in my PC Ti5 header pipe. He explained the process to me after i nearly cussed him out for the high cost. Its not a quick weld job like steel or aluminum is.

The Shop

pkiczuk
7/23/2019 5:17am
meh wrap it in muffler tape and call it a day lol
Bearuno
7/23/2019 7:21am
kb228 wrote:
Might be better off having a shop fix it than shipping it. Welding titanium pipes is a bit of a process. You have to purge the...
Might be better off having a shop fix it than shipping it. Welding titanium pipes is a bit of a process. You have to purge the inside with argon or something before it can be welded.

A friend of mine is certified in many aspects of welding and quoted me $120 to repair a small crack in my PC Ti5 header pipe. He explained the process to me after i nearly cussed him out for the high cost. Its not a quick weld job like steel or aluminum is.
That's fare - $120.

Especially if he didn't have / had to make plugs for a back purge set up, and (he had to) clean out every skerik of carbon etc in the header. Set up and Prep takes the time. And, is so important. The weld itself, there's no real difficulty to it, at all. Ti's a lovely material to weld.

Though, I've found that once Ti cracks, it has a tendency to crack further, be it at the repair point, or, elsewhere, so it can be an ongoing / recurring problem. If you've a system that has a bolted head / header junction, with a clamp at the header / secondary junction, you can help with longevity by running the engine / header to temperature, Then tightening the clamp.

Post a reply to: Cracked header pipe on kx450f

The Latest