Countershaft bearing installed crooked (yz250)

Blackjack31
Edited Date/Time 2/6/2020 2:29pm
Went to install my countershaft bearing and it didn’t go in all the way with the sweating method. Well I have a press and decided I would just press it in. Well the stator case half is not level so I put a piece of aluminum where the sprocket would go. Well there was a little bit of “uneveness” but I figured it wouldn’t matter cause it was so small and that bearing shouldn’t take that much pressure. Well it started to take more pressure then I figured so I backed it off and looked and this is what I found when I knocked the bearing out. What do I do now? Can I take it somewhere and they fix it? Or do I need a new case? If I need a new one, does anybody have a left side crankcase that would fit a 2013 yz250? Stupid move on my part. Was in a hurry and this is what happens.

|
Blackjack31
2/6/2020 12:36am
Also, this makes me nervous about the main bearings. I had to press the main bearing in half way cause it got stuck. When I don’t this the bearing made a noise. I can’t remember if it was a cracking noise or a screeching noise. Just remember a noise. But it was completely straight and went in like butter when being pressed in. Just hate to pull that bearing out and ruin it to check for cracks from being doubtful now that this has happened. This is my first time using the press, if you can’t tell already.
sandman768
2/6/2020 5:08am
That’s a critical area, if it were a rare unavailable case you would no choice to weld & machine back to service. I say start looking for another case & if you can get the bearings to easily fall out with heat method reuse but if you have to hammer on them, replace them. Sucks but YZ 250 cases are plentiful. Did you freeze bearing/ heat case? I have never had to press bearings in with the heat/ freeze method...
kb228
2/6/2020 6:16am
When i did my yz250 all i had to do was heat the case to about 200F. The bearings would go right in without issues. I tried freezing some bearings but all they did was stick.

Best method is heat the case, apply grease to the outside of the bearing and tap in with a socket and deadblow. Do not use a press because you cant feel the force youre applying. It doesnt take much to apply tons of force. Youll never apply that much force with a hammer and socket.

To get yours out youll have to get a blind bearing puller or grind it out.

The Shop

Blackjack31
2/6/2020 7:36am
The only other bearing I installed was the main bearings But I can order a new main bearing and transmission bearing and try and find another case
Moto520
2/6/2020 9:38am
although it probably would be fine to run it like that.....i would absolutely replace the case
Blackjack31
2/6/2020 9:43am
Moto520 wrote:
although it probably would be fine to run it like that.....i would absolutely replace the case
Well I can’t find any cases on Ebay that are worth buying compared to a new case. I’m gonna call some shops and see what they can do. Maybe somebody can lightly JB weld the crack and resurface where the bearing goes. I don’t want anything “rigged” up where my sprocket rides but also can’t afford a $400 case. Maybe somebody can do a good job on it
Moto520
2/6/2020 2:05pm
Well I can’t find any cases on Ebay that are worth buying compared to a new case. I’m gonna call some shops and see what they...
Well I can’t find any cases on Ebay that are worth buying compared to a new case. I’m gonna call some shops and see what they can do. Maybe somebody can lightly JB weld the crack and resurface where the bearing goes. I don’t want anything “rigged” up where my sprocket rides but also can’t afford a $400 case. Maybe somebody can do a good job on it
You will be fine that way for sure IMO
Blackjack31
2/6/2020 2:29pm
Moto520 wrote:
You will be fine that way for sure IMO
Barr’s competition is my local mx shop and they said they can fix it for me. So hopefully problem is solved.

Post a reply to: Countershaft bearing installed crooked (yz250)

The Latest