Converting a 2016 KTM 300XC into a moto machine. Anyone ever done this?

heartwellm
I've ridden many bikes but this is by far the most fun. It's light, responsive and can be lugged in corner similar to a 4 stroke when needed. I've raced motocross for about 10 years and got a wild hair to pick one of these up to hit a few hare scrambles. Long story short, I believe this bike could do very well on the track for a vet rider like me. I've taken care of the dreaded 4cs forks, added full FMF, swapped some linkage, bars and rear rim. The FMF really helped out the top end so keeping the gearing as is for now stock 13/50. Now I'm trying to find a 2 gallon tank to fit this bike and not having much luck. The 2016 SXF tanks don't allow the seat to "seat" properly. Anyone have any advice to get rid of the oil tanker look? I believe the frame is the same as the 450 but looking for the seat/tank combo that will work. What other mods have you done to set up an XC for MX?
|
BR8ES
5/18/2019 1:13pm
an OEM SX tank of that er should fit just fine. Lots of guys run XCs for MX, will work very well with relative little set up/expense.
sandman768
5/18/2019 2:03pm
I rode my 15-16 XC300”s on MX tracks all the time, the big tank never bothered me, just don’t fill it all the way up! I had my suspension revalved & sprung for Moto. I also ran FMF factory pipe for more rev vs low end. I needed to jet richer for MX compared to woods riding, I believe I went up 1 tooth on rear sprocket to use 3rd gear more. As stated above, the 16 250SX tank should bolt right on....I still have a nice condition FmF factory fatty pipe for the bike if you need a spare
heartwellm
5/18/2019 2:16pm
Thanks guys, I’ll get a 250sx tank on order!
FahQ
5/18/2019 5:12pm
1.9 gallons of fuel in an XC tank has a lower center of gravity than in a SX tank, maybe get some of that foam that stops the sloshing around. Get a 250 SX cdi or a head mod if you want to wake up the motor. Be careful because if you do both you will have more power than most can use.

The Shop

Bearuno
5/19/2019 12:53am
FahQ wrote:
1.9 gallons of fuel in an XC tank has a lower center of gravity than in a SX tank, maybe get some of that foam that...
1.9 gallons of fuel in an XC tank has a lower center of gravity than in a SX tank, maybe get some of that foam that stops the sloshing around. Get a 250 SX cdi or a head mod if you want to wake up the motor. Be careful because if you do both you will have more power than most can use.
This ^^ - why carry fuel up higher?

You don't have to fill the tank up (generally) for MX, so, carry it lower than an MX tank does. I don't think the XC tanks are any wider at your knees.
heartwellm
5/19/2019 5:21am
It’s definitely a good point as I hadn’t thought about it like that. Looks like I’ll do some testing using both. Thanks!

Post a reply to: Converting a 2016 KTM 300XC into a moto machine. Anyone ever done this?

The Latest