Conical restrictor on late model Husqvarna

erik_94COBRA
Edited Date/Time 8/23/2020 11:38am
For those too cheap (like me) to spend money on an exhaust to get rid of the silly “ice cream cone” restrictor, you should know it is easily removed.

Here is the stupid thing I just pulled from my 2019 Husky FC 350. It took more time to remove the end cap than it did to fatigue the spot weld on the cone to core.

Quick test in the yard tells me it is more responsive than before. The tweety sound is also gone.

|
2F4A
8/18/2020 3:23am
For those too cheap (like me) to spend money on an exhaust to get rid of the silly “ice cream cone” restrictor, you should know it...
For those too cheap (like me) to spend money on an exhaust to get rid of the silly “ice cream cone” restrictor, you should know it is easily removed.

Here is the stupid thing I just pulled from my 2019 Husky FC 350. It took more time to remove the end cap than it did to fatigue the spot weld on the cone to core.

Quick test in the yard tells me it is more responsive than before. The tweety sound is also gone.

Nice one!

Yesterday i picked up the same bike. I ordered a full HGS system but it is on back-order, so i'm going to remove the cone this afternoon.

Thanks for letting me know it's easy.
mx317
8/18/2020 11:06am Edited Date/Time 8/18/2020 11:12am
I did the one on my Husky 2018.5 FC450 Rockstar edition also. It hit very hard (much harder than the FMF slipon I bought later). It was also quite a bit louder. Mine looked different that yours. It looked like half of yours.
gti
8/18/2020 1:20pm
I've done this on a 350 and it definitely increases power, but made it hit harder. I felt it ruined the great delivery that a 350 typically had.

The Shop

erik_94COBRA
8/18/2020 1:46pm
gti wrote:
I've done this on a 350 and it definitely increases power, but made it hit harder. I felt it ruined the great delivery that a 350...
I've done this on a 350 and it definitely increases power, but made it hit harder. I felt it ruined the great delivery that a 350 typically had.
I worried about this a little bit, but the KTM 350 has no cone and a little more bark on the low end was what I was looking for. Will update once I get it on the track.
captmoto
8/19/2020 11:14pm
How exactly did you get it out? I was going to try to remove it on a 17 FC450 but just went for a full system.
erik_94COBRA
8/19/2020 11:56pm
captmoto wrote:
How exactly did you get it out? I was going to try to remove it on a 17 FC450 but just went for a full system.
Removed screws holding end cap to muffler body.
Then removed end cap with soft hammer and large flat screwdriver. This was a real pain in the ass as I was trying to not damage end cap or body.
Then, grabbed the protruding tip of the cone with large channel locks and wiggled back and forth until spot weld between cone and perforated core fatigued and broke.

The depth of the cone seems to vary on different models. Wedging a screwdriver into the top of cone in order to manipulate would also work if you can’t grab directly.

From a 17 450:

captmoto
8/20/2020 8:57am
Removed screws holding end cap to muffler body. Then removed end cap with soft hammer and large flat screwdriver. This was a real pain in the...
Removed screws holding end cap to muffler body.
Then removed end cap with soft hammer and large flat screwdriver. This was a real pain in the ass as I was trying to not damage end cap or body.
Then, grabbed the protruding tip of the cone with large channel locks and wiggled back and forth until spot weld between cone and perforated core fatigued and broke.

The depth of the cone seems to vary on different models. Wedging a screwdriver into the top of cone in order to manipulate would also work if you can’t grab directly.

From a 17 450:

Thanks, I had it apart and chickened out attacking the cone since I was going riding the next day. Thanks.
erik_94COBRA
8/20/2020 1:55pm
Update: rode at my local track today and the change was significantly for the better. It actually felt a lot like the demo 2020 FC350 I test rode that had an FMF slip on. There was actually some pull through the low end into the midrange, after the initial jerkiness of cracking the throttle, where it was a little flat before.

I have a couple of other mods planned and will make a separate post on those.
8/23/2020 11:38am Edited Date/Time 8/23/2020 4:06pm
I have a '19 350 SXF. I bought a non-screen filter cage and also removed the screen located at the end cap. YES, the cap was difficult to remove! I clipped the screen mostly out with tin snips and then used a dremel to grind the remaining screen material from the cap.
Looking down the throat of the exhaust after the removal led me to question the need for a slip-on. It is wide open with zero obstruction. FMF claims to have a superior design but I have to ask if their is a healthy amount of hype in the performance claims. I did order a 2018 intake boot for improved throttle response "just because"($80.00). Not riding at the tracks currently due to high heat and smoke in NorCal.
hawk101
1/2/2023 7:27pm

I'm considering pulling the baffle on my MC350, but feel a little nervous the power will be too jerky/not as smooth. Anyone else have more ride impressions after removal?

I usually ride in map 1 with map 2 being a bit too much sometimes when I get tired. That said, I did just recently drill out my airbox cover (many large holes) and cut the flap. I've been using the two stroke air filter cage since day 1. Starting is much faster, and throttle response and power are better. Those two really helped with rear wheel connection through ruts and just more fun cracking the throttle hard. Sometimes I forget this bike needs to be revved hard!

Also been thinking of a vortex, since I hate the engine braking. I'm used to two strokes, so somtimes I feel like something is wrong with the bike, but it's just the engine braking lol. Heard a ton of great things about XPR and Twisted Development maps, but hard to bite the bullet on cost.

Ob917
1/2/2023 7:47pm

New ones don’t have the cone 

erik_94COBRA
1/2/2023 8:48pm Edited Date/Time 1/2/2023 8:50pm
hawk101 wrote:
I'm considering pulling the baffle on my MC350, but feel a little nervous the power will be too jerky/not as smooth. Anyone else have more ride...

I'm considering pulling the baffle on my MC350, but feel a little nervous the power will be too jerky/not as smooth. Anyone else have more ride impressions after removal?

I usually ride in map 1 with map 2 being a bit too much sometimes when I get tired. That said, I did just recently drill out my airbox cover (many large holes) and cut the flap. I've been using the two stroke air filter cage since day 1. Starting is much faster, and throttle response and power are better. Those two really helped with rear wheel connection through ruts and just more fun cracking the throttle hard. Sometimes I forget this bike needs to be revved hard!

Also been thinking of a vortex, since I hate the engine braking. I'm used to two strokes, so somtimes I feel like something is wrong with the bike, but it's just the engine braking lol. Heard a ton of great things about XPR and Twisted Development maps, but hard to bite the bullet on cost.

I made another post reviewing the Vortex ignition on this bike. It radically helped the jerkiness, engine braking, and flame outs. 

There seem to be used ones in the classifieds regularly. 

ETA: 

https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Tech-Help-Race-Shop,42/Remapped-Vortex-for-my-19-FC350-DAMN,1381496

hawk101
1/3/2023 4:43am
Ob917 wrote:

The new 23 GasGas or you mean husky/ktm?

Also, Erik, thank you for sharing the link. I've read your post a few times before. A very good review! I've been hunting for good deals, but trying to stay below $500 if possible after ECU and programming. I keep hoping for the same deal you landed!

Got a baby on the way so hard to justify putting money into the bike when my riding will be more limited this year. On the other hand, the times I do go would be that much more fun, right???? Seat time will be more precious!

Ob917
1/4/2023 2:34pm
Ob917 wrote:

hawk101 wrote:
The new 23 GasGas or you mean husky/ktm?   Also, Erik, thank you for sharing the link. I've read your post a few times before. A...

The new 23 GasGas or you mean husky/ktm?

Also, Erik, thank you for sharing the link. I've read your post a few times before. A very good review! I've been hunting for good deals, but trying to stay below $500 if possible after ECU and programming. I keep hoping for the same deal you landed!

Got a baby on the way so hard to justify putting money into the bike when my riding will be more limited this year. On the other hand, the times I do go would be that much more fun, right???? Seat time will be more precious!

Ktm and husky, haven’t pulled a GG can apart

hawk101
1/5/2023 6:35am Edited Date/Time 1/5/2023 6:43am

Okay, that was a pain in the butt! Had to use a bearing puller to remove the cap and the restrictor was not spot welded. Mine had two half inch beads. Finally fatigued the welds and then had to beat down the sides of the cone with a flat head screw driver and grind the welds down a bit to get it out. The welds broke in such a way that I could push the restrictor farther in, but not out.0104231919 HDR

​​Screenshots 2023-01-05-09-30-06 0

Screenshots 2023-01-05-09-30-24

Jrey2
1/5/2023 7:44am Edited Date/Time 1/5/2023 7:45am
hawk101 wrote:
Okay, that was a pain in the butt! Had to use a bearing puller to remove the cap and the restrictor was not spot welded. Mine...

Okay, that was a pain in the butt! Had to use a bearing puller to remove the cap and the restrictor was not spot welded. Mine had two half inch beads. Finally fatigued the welds and then had to beat down the sides of the cone with a flat head screw driver and grind the welds down a bit to get it out. The welds broke in such a way that I could push the restrictor farther in, but not out.0104231919 HDR

You can expect the bike to have alot more snap now, almost like a powerband feel. No matter what i do I cannot stay on my bike lol. When it hits, I feel like I'm hanging onto a rocket. I'm going to try reinstalling the backfire screen filter cage first. When are you riding next? Curious to hear your impressions.

Also, mine was a colossal pain to remove too haha. Took me like an hour and a half. I feel your pain!

hawk101
1/5/2023 11:21am
hawk101 wrote:
Okay, that was a pain in the butt! Had to use a bearing puller to remove the cap and the restrictor was not spot welded. Mine...

Jrey2 wrote:
You can expect the bike to have alot more snap now, almost like a powerband feel. No matter what i do I cannot stay on my...

You can expect the bike to have alot more snap now, almost like a powerband feel. No matter what i do I cannot stay on my bike lol. When it hits, I feel like I'm hanging onto a rocket. I'm going to try reinstalling the backfire screen filter cage first. When are you riding next? Curious to hear your impressions.

Also, mine was a colossal pain to remove too haha. Took me like an hour and a half. I feel your pain!

Not quite sure when I'll test. I was hoping this weekend, but got some interference, unfortunately. I'll report back as soon as I can!

Yeah, it took me about 2 hrs the first night, then gave it a shot after work the next day (another 2hrs to take out and reassemble). I screwed myself a bit by hammering the metal in a one way barb initially. Then got tactical with a thin long slot head to punch the barbs back in and grind the welds.

I'm hoping the power isn't too abrupt! Are you talking midrange hit or even just cracking the throttle on the low end? I'm used to two strokes, so that does sound fun, but not too much.

Map 2 was a bit too strong in the past (when tired). Hoping this makes Map 1 more in between unmodded Map 1 and 2.

Bruce372
1/5/2023 11:48am

Lol, my 2020 rockstar 450 came new with the fmf pipe.

I found an unused stock muffler, it is only slightly heavier than the fmf, fits better, doesnt stick out as far, and runs IMO better. I am leaving the cone in, since I can trail ride it as well.

hawk101
1/5/2023 12:35pm
Bruce372 wrote:
Lol, my 2020 rockstar 450 came new with the fmf pipe. I found an unused stock muffler, it is only slightly heavier than the fmf, fits...

I found an unused stock muffler, it is only slightly heavier than the fmf, fits better, doesnt stick out as far, and runs IMO better. I am leaving the cone in, since I can trail ride it as well.

Does the cone count as a spark arrestor? I would think an additional screen would be needed.

Hopefully I don't have the same experience! BUT If I do, then I have an excuse to get an XPR vortex. Tame the bike down for.....safety reasons 😉.

erik_94COBRA
1/5/2023 1:15pm

I must have had Friday welds because mine really wasn’t that bad. The end cap was the real PITA for me.

I would also say the remapped Vortex is still worth it even at full price. I’ve been more often underwhelmed by mods than not, and it really delivered. 

Also to note, I don’t think the cone will serve as a spark arrestor (legally). I had looked in the manual or maybe the regulations and determined it didn’t check out. I’ve also never seen a spark from a dirt bike exhaust in 30 years of riding. 

Bruce372
1/5/2023 2:36pm
Bruce372 wrote:
Lol, my 2020 rockstar 450 came new with the fmf pipe. I found an unused stock muffler, it is only slightly heavier than the fmf, fits...

hawk101 wrote:
Does the cone count as a spark arrestor? I would think an additional screen would be needed. Hopefully I don't have the same experience! BUT If...

Does the cone count as a spark arrestor? I would think an additional screen would be needed.

Hopefully I don't have the same experience! BUT If I do, then I have an excuse to get an XPR vortex. Tame the bike down for.....safety reasons 😉.

The place I go to, all the rangers do is poke a stick down the end of the pipe and see if it stops. I agree, it's not USFS and at their discretion. 

I also have a twisted vortex ignition,  its in the bottom of my tool box because the bike is too much for me lol. Stock engine is so smooth, it's easy to make more power.... 😀 and with power, comes great responsibility hahaha

hawk101
1/5/2023 3:31pm

I wonder, are the baffled (GasGas) and open (ktm) silencers actual the same besides the baffle? Or is the ktm silencer slightly different?

Not sure if there are also ECU differences that would make the GasGas a rocket with baffle removed. From what I've read, it should just operate like a ktm350 with baffle gone and airbox opened up.

Does anyone know how the gasgas vs ktm 350s feel stock? Do the above mods and resulting changes make sense?

erik_94COBRA
1/5/2023 4:47pm
Bruce372 wrote:

hawk101 wrote:
Does the cone count as a spark arrestor? I would think an additional screen would be needed. Hopefully I don't have the same experience! BUT If...

Bruce372 wrote:
The place I go to, all the rangers do is poke a stick down the end of the pipe and see if it stops. I agree...

The place I go to, all the rangers do is poke a stick down the end of the pipe and see if it stops. I agree, it's not USFS and at their discretion. 

I also have a twisted vortex ignition,  its in the bottom of my tool box because the bike is too much for me lol. Stock engine is so smooth, it's easy to make more power.... 😀 and with power, comes great responsibility hahaha

I rode my buddy’s Husky 450 when I had my KTM 450 (both 2019s) and his was better in many ways: smoother, more compliant, etc. I bought the 350 not long after that. 

hawk101
1/6/2023 5:36pm

Looks like I'll be able to ride Sunday. I'll provide a ride report afterwards.

Bruce, did you get the vortex mapped by an aftermarket company? If you wanted the bike more mellow, why not select a less powerful map as opposed to reverting back to stock? It sounds like 450s handle better with a programmed vortex even if power isn't the goal.

Erik, the Husky characteristics make sense with the composite subframe and closed off airbox. I'd love one just for the lower suspension.

Bruce372
1/6/2023 5:39pm
hawk101 wrote:
Looks like I'll be able to ride Sunday. I'll provide a ride report afterwards. Bruce, did you get the vortex mapped by an aftermarket company? If...

Looks like I'll be able to ride Sunday. I'll provide a ride report afterwards.

Bruce, did you get the vortex mapped by an aftermarket company? If you wanted the bike more mellow, why not select a less powerful map as opposed to reverting back to stock? It sounds like 450s handle better with a programmed vortex even if power isn't the goal.

Erik, the Husky characteristics make sense with the composite subframe and closed off airbox. I'd love one just for the lower suspension.

It's a twisted development mapping.  Once I realized it was too much, I took it off to sell and never got around to it.

Abean3
1/6/2023 5:56pm
hawk101 wrote:
I wonder, are the baffled (GasGas) and open (ktm) silencers actual the same besides the baffle? Or is the ktm silencer slightly different? Not sure if...

I wonder, are the baffled (GasGas) and open (ktm) silencers actual the same besides the baffle? Or is the ktm silencer slightly different?

Not sure if there are also ECU differences that would make the GasGas a rocket with baffle removed. From what I've read, it should just operate like a ktm350 with baffle gone and airbox opened up.

Does anyone know how the gasgas vs ktm 350s feel stock? Do the above mods and resulting changes make sense?

Hey I went throught this process a couple months ago.  Yes the canisters are the same except Gas Gas now has the baffle on the 350 and 450.  Otherwise the same.  The MC250F does NOT have the baffle.  I bought an oem MC250F slip-on on ebay for cheap and put that on my MC350F.  That combined with opening up the airbox (vented cover, 2 stroke filter cage, 2018 sxf airboot) made a big difference in throttle response and felt more lively.  Adding the twisted develpment mapped vortex was the icing on the cake.  More power everywhere, but way less engine braking.  Makes the bike feel much lighter.  Compared to my buddies stock 450 it feels 20 lbs lighter going into a corner, yet its only about 2 lbs heavier. The vortex had several maps with less power if thats what you prefer. 

hawk101
1/6/2023 8:06pm
hawk101 wrote:
I wonder, are the baffled (GasGas) and open (ktm) silencers actual the same besides the baffle? Or is the ktm silencer slightly different? Not sure if...

Abean3 wrote:
Hey I went throught this process a couple months ago.  Yes the canisters are the same except Gas Gas now has the baffle on the 350...

Hey I went throught this process a couple months ago.  Yes the canisters are the same except Gas Gas now has the baffle on the 350 and 450.  Otherwise the same.  The MC250F does NOT have the baffle.  I bought an oem MC250F slip-on on ebay for cheap and put that on my MC350F.  That combined with opening up the airbox (vented cover, 2 stroke filter cage, 2018 sxf airboot) made a big difference in throttle response and felt more lively.  Adding the twisted develpment mapped vortex was the icing on the cake.  More power everywhere, but way less engine braking.  Makes the bike feel much lighter.  Compared to my buddies stock 450 it feels 20 lbs lighter going into a corner, yet its only about 2 lbs heavier. The vortex had several maps with less power if thats what you prefer. 

Great info! Thank you!

Would you say the mods before the vortex made the bike less controllable and the vortex helped return usability? What map were you running before the vortex?

I see a decent deal for a tokoyomods vortex programmed for a 19-22 ktm350sxf, but with XPR and TD highly rated I'd always wonder if it could be better/missing out.

Abean3
1/7/2023 3:55am
hawk101 wrote:

Abean3 wrote:
Hey I went throught this process a couple months ago.  Yes the canisters are the same except Gas Gas now has the baffle on the 350...

hawk101 wrote:
Great info! Thank you! Would you say the mods before the vortex made the bike less controllable and the vortex helped return usability? What map were...

Great info! Thank you!

Would you say the mods before the vortex made the bike less controllable and the vortex helped return usability? What map were you running before the vortex?

I see a decent deal for a tokoyomods vortex programmed for a 19-22 ktm350sxf, but with XPR and TD highly rated I'd always wonder if it could be better/missing out.

I started on map 1 because I was just getting back into riding.  Around 10 hours I went to map 2 and liked it more.  Around 15 hours I made all the improvements and like the strongest/least engine breaking map on the Twisted Vortex.  As you get more ride time you will find it easier to ride with more throttle response.  The vortex even with more power had a much smoother and consistent throttle response.  No hiccups or abrupt hits.  It did add a good amount mid to top and a moderate amount on the bottom.  

The changes without the vortex did improve throttle respone and low-mid power, but the vortex just made it all a good bit better.  If you mean less controllable because its too strong of a hit then the vortex allows you to have maps with varying levels of power.  Twisted gave an "Easy" map and the bike had hardly any hit at all.  It was very mellow and may be good for someone wanting to ease back into riding.  Then you can change maps for a bit more power as you like. If you want to keep it mellow I would just do the vented airbox cover to allow it to breathe better and get the vortex to have multiple power options as you progress. 

hawk101
1/8/2023 8:15am Edited Date/Time 1/8/2023 6:04pm

At the track now. On the stand, the exhaust gas is making a weird crinkling sound and revving creates back fire pop and sparks when the revs come down!

Maybe some loose wire packing that will burn off as the day goes on?

Will provide a ride report later.

Update: let the bike cool and restarted. No more popping or sparks on the stand. Went to the vet track and the bike maybe has a little more pep down low, but hard to say since I haven't ridden in two weeks. Need a side by side. Will give another report after the main track.

Update 2: rode the main track, tacky and some loose loam, definitely feel the power band effect going up the face of a step up and overshot a few jumps. Good power and more low end power and response. I like the feel over all, which allows me to pop over tight jumps easier and get into the power sooner. The exhaust is more raspy/load.

Final comments: The bike is more fun now with the added response and power and I am overall very happy. I noticed the engine braking seemed to be less and revs more freely. Could also be the added response just gave that impression. Third gear seemed to be more usable/pulled better without being lazy down low and I could shift up and smoothly accelerate from sweepers to straightaways. The sound is more raspy, but I actually like how it comes on and sounds like I'm really getting it! I wouldn't say the bike is anymore of a rocketship than before. Before I could always crack the throttle wide open and the bike would be a rocket and that's true now. Just the low end isn't as lazy and I get into the power sooner.

One concern was I couldn't lug as much without stalling....maybe what I mean is flameout??? Most of my experience is with two strokes, but pretty sure flameout is when the bike just randomly quits running at low rpm. Like it wouldn't chug and then stall, just turn off and leave me scratching my head. That happened a few times and also at the bottom of a tight left hand jump in a deeper rut. Bike just flameout and I fell over without power. Kind of a WTF moment.

Next step is looking for a good deal on an already programmed vortex or buy any compatible vortex and have XPR program. Sounds like XPR mapping is maybe smoother/more rideable than TD (based on vital forum research). I really want less engine braking and the "perfectly jetted 2 stroke" feel. The flameout is also a little concerning, since the stalling hapened without much warning, but was always at low rpm and slow speeds, so fortunately not a safety issue. Could definitely do with that gone, since previously the bike was basically impossible to stall and lug-ablility was very impressive.

Post a reply to: Conical restrictor on late model Husqvarna

The Latest