Clutch Not Working

Related:
Create New Tag

7/30/2018 8:59 PM

My 2006 YZ250F's clutch stopped working a month ago. Worked perfectly the whole ride, the bike fell over after the ride not a crash or anything just tipped over. Not sure if that could even effect much since it is a dirt bike and all but just something to note I guess. About two weeks after the ride I started the bike, pulled the clutch lever, and shifted into first and the bike instantly died. Since then I've checked the plates and basket, both are fine with no grooves at all. I've taken out all the plates and put them back in so none are stuck. After that I thought for sure it was the push rod and clutch arm. I replaced both of those with OEM but the parts already in the bike looked almost as good. The cable slack is fine but it hasn't been lubed since December although it has only been rode a few times since then. The last time I rode it the oil was fresh although it was the first time running it with 20W-50 YamaLube which someone told me could be the issue since it is thicker but I'm doubting it. Any help is appreciated since I'm at a loss at the moment since I have pretty much gone through the whole clutch system, thanks.

|

7/30/2018 10:14 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/30/2018 10:15 PM

Can you watch the pressure plate disengage when you pull the lever with the clutch cover off of the bike?

|

7/30/2018 10:24 PM

Yeah it pushes the pressure plate out, I forgot to mention in the post that the springs are good as well.

|

7/30/2018 11:19 PM

Does the clutch pull feel the same as it used to? Is it easier or harder pulling it in?

Almost sounds like the oil you used this time had an additive that is causing the plates to be grabby. Are you sure..... even if its a Yamaha oil that it's approved for your bike?

If you have any of the oil you used to always use i would try soaking your plates in that oil overnight and filling your transmission with that same original oil you used to use and see if anything changes.

|

7/31/2018 1:19 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/31/2018 1:22 AM

Yeah the clutch feels exactly the same, I bought the oil straight from a Yamaha dealer and plan to swap it back to 10W-40. Its their 4 stroke oil so I believe its fine for the bike. I've ran the 10W-40 before and never had any issues. I had just changed the oil before the ride when it stopped working, so it could be the oil, just not sure how. The plates in it were the same from when I bought the bike. I had them out for about a week in a ziplock back and never put them in oil since they were still had oil on them. I believe on my bike a regular oil change includes transmission so it should be all the same oil.

|