Cleaning your bike

Tryhard
Edited Date/Time 4/8/2018 6:14pm
What different methods do you guys use to clean your bike , i have been spraying my bike down with a little cleaner mixed with water in a bottle and then power washing . but im seeing my buddies bikes and their cases and overall bike looks so much cleaner then mine .
|
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
4/5/2018 11:44pm
I was with a normal bucket of soap and water. I rub down all the aluminum parts with red or green scotch bright. The key is to touch every party with your cloth to get the dirt off.
kb228
4/6/2018 3:29am Edited Date/Time 4/6/2018 3:48am
Step 1: pressure wash as much mud off as possible. Putting the bars on the stand to lay the bike over is a good trick to get the bottom.

Step 2: foam cannon & let it soak

Steo 3: rinse soap off

Step 4: scotch brite pretty much any aluminum thats visible: especually the frame.take a rag and get the wheels and other spots the pressure washer missed

Step 5: SOS pad the seat and other areas that need it. Also wash the chain

Step 6: rinse again

step 7: maxima sc1 the shit out of it. Lube the chain.

Steo 8: clean the air filter & prep the bike for the next ride
kb228
4/6/2018 3:53am
This is my 09 450. Most of the frame and motor was stained brown from the previous owner. Doing the above cleaning method got it to where it is now.
c0ncEpT
4/6/2018 7:26am Edited Date/Time 4/6/2018 7:27am
Wash by hand.

Soak entire bike with simple green cut 50-50 with water. Wash using an automotive soap(whatever is on sale at Autozone). Rinse with hose.

Apply SC1 or other silicone based spray to the entire bike. This really helps keep dirt from sticking to the bike.

I only power wash if the race was some sort of mud bog and the hose wont take it off.

The Shop

skypig
4/6/2018 8:11am
A product in Australia called CT-18 multi wash (previously CT-18 truck wash) has changed my life.
I no longer remove side panels/tank etc, use any brushes (except a tooth brush on the chain if I want it looking like new) and certainly don’t use a pressure washer. (Pressure washers are bike abuse. This fact is beyond debate)

Hose thick dirt/mud off with garden hose.
Using your prefered method spray a rich mix of CT-18 and water over the entire bike. (I use a pump up weed sprayer)

Leave the bike to dry, overnight is good. (Recommended in the instructions. Yeah, I was skeptical too.)

Spray bike with garden hose. Dirt falls off. (Quite amazing)

Chamois if required.

Be happy.

It doesn’t rejuvenate neglected bikes like some of the above, but I wash my bike after almost every ride, because it’s easy.
Tryhard
4/6/2018 9:28am
all good reccomendationgs guys thanks alot , do you think green scotch brite is suitable?
AJ565
4/6/2018 9:48am Edited Date/Time 4/6/2018 9:48am
Power wash the big stuff. Soak in Shout for a few then power wash again. Shout also works really well for white boots.
JBecker 72
4/6/2018 9:49am
I use a biodegradable wash like Kawasaki cleaner after wetting the bike with a hose. Spray it on a wet bike, let it sit for a minute or two, and then hose it down. The dirt just falls off and I barely have to use a wash mitt. After the really muddy rides, it needs a pressure wash to help out, but I try not to use one much.
kb228
4/6/2018 10:03am
Tryhard wrote:
all good reccomendationgs guys thanks alot , do you think green scotch brite is suitable?
Green works good. I switched to red. It shines more. I get it at NAPA auto parts. Lowes/home depot only sell the green.
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
4/6/2018 10:30am
I wash mine by hand with a wash mitt just like car/truck.

I use a regular hose
-spray bike
-spray soap
-wash with mitt
-rinse
-clean chain and other specific parts
Tryhard
4/6/2018 10:38am
Tryhard wrote:
kb228 wrote:
Green works good. I switched to red. It shines more. I get it at NAPA auto parts. Lowes/home depot only sell the green.
i was just wondering because i get the green from work for free . but we don;t stock red . so ill go pick some up . I was looking at getting one of the foam blaster things but heard the really arent worth it . i power wash my bike on its side with the stand as stated . But i grease my bearings very frequently though so im not worried about that .
kb228
4/6/2018 11:02am Edited Date/Time 4/6/2018 11:06am
Tryhard wrote:
kb228 wrote:
Tryhard wrote:
i was just wondering because i get the green from work for free . but we don;t stock red . so ill go pick some up...
i was just wondering because i get the green from work for free . but we don;t stock red . so ill go pick some up . I was looking at getting one of the foam blaster things but heard the really arent worth it . i power wash my bike on its side with the stand as stated . But i grease my bearings very frequently though so im not worried about that .
Green will work. I used it forever till i saw how good red is. Green is finer and red is more coarse. Green takes longer to get the same shine.

I wouldnt worry about bearings too much. Theyre all sealed up. As long as you dont put the nozzle right at the seal youre good.
bvm111
4/6/2018 12:26pm
I pressure wash after every ride to get all the mud off, then hit it with the Maxima Bio wash and let sit and rinse again. I then towel off and hit it with SC1 or Motul Shine and Go! I am not sure why everyone says a pressure washer will ruin a bike... only if you direct it right at the bearings or electrical connectors will it cause corrosion. I use mine after every ride and grease my bearings every couple of months and have never had an issue.

I do want to try shout and the red scotch brite though!
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
4/6/2018 12:50pm
seth505 wrote:
I wash mine by hand with a wash mitt just like car/truck. I use a regular hose -spray bike -spray soap -wash with mitt -rinse -clean...
I wash mine by hand with a wash mitt just like car/truck.

I use a regular hose
-spray bike
-spray soap
-wash with mitt
-rinse
-clean chain and other specific parts
This. A bucket of tide with bleach and a good mitt. My bikes always stay fresh looking
r.sal923
4/6/2018 2:10pm
kb228 wrote:
Step 1: pressure wash as much mud off as possible. Putting the bars on the stand to lay the bike over is a good trick to...
Step 1: pressure wash as much mud off as possible. Putting the bars on the stand to lay the bike over is a good trick to get the bottom.

Step 2: foam cannon & let it soak

Steo 3: rinse soap off

Step 4: scotch brite pretty much any aluminum thats visible: especually the frame.take a rag and get the wheels and other spots the pressure washer missed

Step 5: SOS pad the seat and other areas that need it. Also wash the chain

Step 6: rinse again

step 7: maxima sc1 the shit out of it. Lube the chain.

Steo 8: clean the air filter & prep the bike for the next ride
Step 7: spray shit out of it with sc1, wipe down, blow off with air so it gets everywhere the rag won’t . Lube chain.
captmoto
4/6/2018 2:10pm
Another Shout user here. You can let it dry and then blast off the crud. It is nearly a hands free cleaner. You can get it anywhere and is half of what an MC specific cleaner costs.
BMR179
Fantasy
1239th
4/7/2018 7:35am
I WD40 and grunge brush the chain and sprockets and anywhere the chain lube has flung. Soak with simple green then power wash. Clean any stains, dry with compressed air, WD40 all metal parts and chain, then wipe plastics with Pledge and silicon spray. It takes about 30 minutes and the bike stays clean. Clean your bike as soon as possible after riding and it's easier.
Taylor415
4/8/2018 5:01pm
Pressure wash
Rag and soap
Pressure wash soap off
Hit the wheels with rag and soap
Pressure wash that off
Clean chain
Get the gas blower out and dry (this gets funny looks)
Check air filter
Spray on sc1
Lube chain
Open beer
Wipe sc1 off

Tryhard
4/8/2018 6:03pm
Taylor415 wrote:
Pressure wash Rag and soap Pressure wash soap off Hit the wheels with rag and soap Pressure wash that off Clean chain Get the gas blower...
Pressure wash
Rag and soap
Pressure wash soap off
Hit the wheels with rag and soap
Pressure wash that off
Clean chain
Get the gas blower out and dry (this gets funny looks)
Check air filter
Spray on sc1
Lube chain
Open beer
Wipe sc1 off

I dig this , especially the beer part . Thanks alot !
Pirate421
4/8/2018 6:13pm Edited Date/Time 4/8/2018 6:14pm
I use shout and a soft carwash wheel brush, shout and a garden hose with This high pressure nozzle I got from Home Depot. Think it’s called a bullfrog sprayer or something. Works pretty good. The other thing that makes all the difference for me especially when it’s cooler out and the bike won’t dry is a $30 electric leaf blower. Awesome for not putting a wet bike away.

Post a reply to: Cleaning your bike

The Latest