Cheap New eBay Carburetors - Sudco? Good? Junk? 99 CR125

KX500
Who out there has tried the $60-$70 new carburetors for sale on eBay? Good, junk - what is the story?

I have a 1999 CR125 that does about everything well, except idle. Trying to sell it, but the no idle thing is a turnoff. Thought I had that choke/idle knob on the old carburetor adjusted just right, so it would idle, but no. And all my attempts to fiddle with it have been unsuccessful. I've taken that choke/idle knob off of this carb so many times, adjusted this way & that, but with no luck. Carb does everything I want it to except idle.

I could buy a rebuild kit, but my confidence level in this fixing the idle issue is very low.

Anyway, saw the cheap new carbs on eBay ($65-$70) & just wondered of this is a viable option. I've read a couple reviews where guys have loved them and really nothing bad so far.

But I also realize that many times cheap & good don't really go together.

Any feed back on these would be appreciated.
|
mx317
5/7/2020 9:51am
A friend of mine used the Kehin copy carb with success.
CSAR FE
5/7/2020 10:44am
Just more money into the CCPs pocket, and paying for a product made from intellectual property stolen from Keihin/Mikuni.

Buy a genuine carb. Even if it’s used.
KX500
5/7/2020 11:07am
One thing I know is I can't buy an American made carburetor for this application, right?

Things I don't know include:

1). Do Keihin/Mikuni have carburetors or carburetors parts made in China?

2) If yes, who owns the tooling?

3) If Keihin/Mikuni, they should have gotten it back if/when production ceased.

4) If Chinese manufacturer owns the tooling from a Keihin/Mikuni project, is it stealing to use it after project ends? What did the contract state?

And it could be that China obtained these carbs, completely reverse engineered them, made new tooling & they are complete knock offs. But again, I don't know this.

Does anybody?

kb228
5/7/2020 11:12am
KX500 wrote:
One thing I know is I can't buy an American made carburetor for this application, right? Things I don't know include: 1). Do Keihin/Mikuni have carburetors...
One thing I know is I can't buy an American made carburetor for this application, right?

Things I don't know include:

1). Do Keihin/Mikuni have carburetors or carburetors parts made in China?

2) If yes, who owns the tooling?

3) If Keihin/Mikuni, they should have gotten it back if/when production ceased.

4) If Chinese manufacturer owns the tooling from a Keihin/Mikuni project, is it stealing to use it after project ends? What did the contract state?

And it could be that China obtained these carbs, completely reverse engineered them, made new tooling & they are complete knock offs. But again, I don't know this.

Does anybody?

The chinese carbs are knockoffs. Some work but most dont. They dont use real jets.

The chinese copy everything. They dont need old tooling to do it. You can 3d scan with your phone and get pretty damn close.

The Shop

CSAR FE
5/7/2020 11:18am
They are 100% reverse engineered, stolen technology, made with shittier metals and components, very likely without the same tolerances as a genuine model (variances As little as 0.001” in a carb and jets make a noticeable difference in how your bike will run).

If you want a guarantee it will work properly, but a genuine carb.

If you want an American made carb, you could also look into Lectron and Smartcarb (I prefer a Keihin PWK over the lectron for sure, haven’t tested a Smartcarb).
yz133rider
5/7/2020 4:40pm
Adjust a tiny amount of slack from the throttle so it idles slightly. Might be enough to get er sold
5/7/2020 7:13pm
I bought one to look at and it was junk. No way I'd use it.
Can buy a pwk long body shock from OEM for the 98-99 cr250. Just need the same 250 airboot to fit the larger bell mouth.
walent215
5/8/2020 3:52am
Interesting thread. A couple years ago a friend needed a carb for his shifter kart and was perusing ebay. He found a new knockoff keihin for 40ish bucks. He asks me to order it for him so I did. Comes in a keihin box, keihin stamped carb, blah blah blah. Anyway we bolted it up and wow what a difference from the mikuni. Worked awesome. Not sure what to think but for $40 his kart was transformed.
BenG
5/8/2020 5:14am
I have a 98 cr125 that I rebuilt including the carb. Bike ran great except it would not idle. I had replaced all parts in the carb except idle/choke knob, it was a little janky. I replaced it and the bike idles perfect now and has for a long time. It was around 40 to 50 bucks from rmatv.
digger
Fantasy
3871st
5/8/2020 5:27am
I haven't had one in my hands in about 2 years, but from an appearance stand point they looked pretty good, but when I tore it down internally it just wasn't right. I remember there being something wrong with the float valve and hole and being under sized a couple of air passages being the same as well. I don't remember all the details as the moment, but it was fixable.
KX500
5/8/2020 5:43am
Actually got the bike to idle last night! I realized I hadn't messed with the adjustment mechanism at the top of the carburetor & it was bottomed out. So, adjusted that up and bike idled fine.

And had gas pouring out of the overflow. It did this the 1st time I started it this spring, but after riding it a bit, that stopped & hadn't returned until now.

Anyway, Rode it around a little but gas wouldn't stop coming out the overflow. So I reversed the adjustment I had made but that didn't stop the gas overflow issue.

After this, it seemed like the most sensible thing to do would be just rebuild the carb I have, so I ordered a rebuild kit. Hopefully, all I really need to fix is float height or whatever is causing the gas to flow out of the bowl and surely I'll need new parts for that. Then adjust at the top of the carb again. I've had mixed results with carb rebuild - hopefully this will be a time it works well.

The idle/choke circuit on this carb is weird, but as long as the choke portion works & there are other options for getting it to idle, good enough I guess. I had tried to adjust cable at the throttle, but that didn't do anything for me either.
KX500
5/8/2020 5:45am
Oh & the seller I was looking at on eBay had enough bad feedback to almost cover every one of the carbs they'd sold. I couldn't see the exact items buyers were complaining about, but for several of them, it was easy to assume the items they were unhappy with were the carburetors.

Post a reply to: Cheap New eBay Carburetors - Sudco? Good? Junk? 99 CR125

The Latest