Changing ktm engine mounts

Related:
Create New Tag

1/12/2018 3:37 PM

I hear based on the material and the shape or having holes in the engine mounts will change the characteristics of the bike, what is it exactly they are talking about?

|

1/12/2018 4:11 PM

The stiffer the engine hangers are the less flex the frame will have. My 16 has steel hangers and in 17 they switched to aluminum to make it more ridged.

|

1/12/2018 4:19 PM

Huh OK, maybe I'll have to buy some newer ones and try then out on our 16, thanks

|

1/12/2018 4:29 PM

I have the 2016 KTM and tried the 17 aluminum mounts back to back and the track. I instant went back to the steel because the aluminum were very rigid. Made all the small chatter feel harsh. I might try the test again but then soften my suspension settings.

It's fun to try, some might like it because you get a more positive feel on what the end end is doing. I've also heard that switching to the aluminum mounts but between the mount and the engine put a thin suspension shim as a washer, it will give you a good middle feel between steel and Alum...

|

1/12/2018 4:31 PM

Huh interesting I'll keep that in mind thank u

|

1/12/2018 5:01 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/12/2018 11:29 PM

CarlinoJoeVideo wrote:

I have the 2016 KTM and tried the 17 aluminum mounts back to back and the track. I instant went back to the steel because the aluminum were very rigid. Made all the small chatter feel harsh. I might try the test again but then soften my suspension settings.

It's fun to try, some might like it because you get a more positive feel on what the end end is doing. I've also heard that switching to the aluminum mounts but between the mount and the engine put a thin suspension shim as a washer, it will give you a good middle feel between steel and Alum...

Any idea how thick the shim washer is? Or what suspension shim do u speak of?

|

1/12/2018 11:43 PM

CarlinoJoeVideo wrote:

ktm-5 wrote:

Any idea how thick the shim washer is? Or what suspension shim do u speak of?

I’ll take a photo tomorrow, just any paper thin shin. It gives a slight amount of movement between the engine and mount.

|

1/13/2018 5:18 AM

OK thank u

|

1/13/2018 10:01 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/13/2018 10:02 PM

ktm-5 wrote:

OK thank u

Here’s a photo of the shims I used. I placed a normal washer next to it for comparison of thickness.
Photo

|

1/14/2018 4:40 AM

Sweet thank you I think I have something like that

|

1/14/2018 1:55 PM

Looks like a shock shim would work.

|

Take it to the limit, one more time!